Question about soda ash?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lashon20

Reaction score
So I always spray my tops with alcohol and they seem fine. A month of two later I'll notice soda ash developing on some of my soaps. What would make soda ash show up weeks later especially if I already sprayed the tops with alcohol? Should I be storing my soaps in containers? I normally them sit out in the open on shelves and never store them in anything.

I have never found a rhyme or reason to Soda Ash; sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't...using alcohol, covering my soap doesn't always work.

SA forms when unsaponified lye reacts to the carbon dioxide in the air. In CP soap, this generally occurs within the first 48 hours, but can go a couple of days longer. I also think some has to do with the weather, some with a low Super Fat (under 5%).

Does this happen to all or soaps or was it a specific batch or day or a different recipe? Have you checked your scale lately?

I think I’ve finally won the battle with SA, making 2 changes recommended by other members on the forum.

I lowered my water amount by changing my lye concentration - 33% lye concentration to 35%
I added covering my soap - I let my soap set up until firm enough on top (~2 hours? - note I don’t gel) and then cover with plastic wrap loosely to block any air from getting to the top, and after the cut I also loosely cover the bars for about a week. I believe @AliOop taught me these tricks to reduce external air from reacting with the soap that is still going through saponification.

ETA - I still spray the top with technical alcohol right after the pour.

HTH 🌸

I have never found a rhyme or reason to Soda Ash; sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't...using alcohol, covering my soap doesn't always work.

SA forms when unsaponified lye reacts to the carbon dioxide in the air. In CP soap, this generally occurs within the first 48 hours, but can go a couple of days longer. I also think some has to do with the weather, some with a low Super Fat (under 5%).

Does this happen to all or soaps or was it a specific batch or day or a different recipe? Have you checked your scale lately?
It only happens to some of my soaps. I'm thinking the ones I make with a thin trace gets it. I actually just replaced my scale because something was off and I was getting white spots in my soap.

I think I’ve finally won the battle with SA, making 2 changes recommended by other members on the forum.

I lowered my water amount by changing my lye concentration - 33% lye concentration to 35%
I added covering my soap - I let my soap set up until firm enough on top (~2 hours? - note I don’t gel) and then cover with plastic wrap loosely to block any air from getting to the top, and after the cut I also loosely cover the bars for about a week. I believe @AliOop taught me these tricks to reduce external air from reacting with the soap that is still going through saponification.

ETA - I still spray the top with technical alcohol right after the pour.

HTH 🌸
Ok I'll have to try these, thanks.

Back