Soda Ash!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuflocks19

Reaction score
Good morning. I'm new to soaping. I've made a couple of batches of soaps and keep noticing that the soda ash is at full force during the curing process. I have tried spraying it with alcohol but noticed I only had 91% alcohol. What is the actual solution to preventing ash? I know it's not a problem to the soap an is more of an aesthetic deal. I'd really appreciate it from the experienced soapers. Thanks in advance!

I got soda ash once and didn't like it. For my loaf molds, I spray with alcohol (it's been hard to find in stores so I just buy whatever percentage is available). I cover with plastic wrap, then cardboard. I gel so I also add a pile of towels. I unmold in 24 hours. Good luck to you. I have successfully avoided soda ash doing this.

However, for my single cavity molds, I unmold after 5 days. If I unmold in 24 hours, I get soda ash. Good luck!

I use the 91% alcohol and it works fine. I spray the top when it's in the mold, then when I take it out of the
mold, I spray the entire exterior, and then I line up the cut bars and spray them. I've only been doing such a complete spray the last several batches (I don't know why I didn't think to try it before), but I have had little to no ash on the bars sprayed like that, compared to earlier bars.

I use the 91% alcohol and it works fine. I spray the top when it's in the mold, then when I take it out of the
mold, I spray the entire exterior, and then I line up the cut bars and spray them. I've only been doing such a complete spray the last several batches (I don't know why I didn't think to try it before), but I have had little to no ash on the bars sprayed like that, compared to earlier bars.
Thank you so much guys. I will try this and I promise to report back.

It can be recipe dependent. I get soda ash if I don't gel, but if I do gel it's not so bad, if at all.
Ahh....I never thought of that! But of course since I am new to soap making. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back