SoapCalc is under new management

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be thrilled to get our own calculator!! ETA one of the things I love about SoapCalc is the printout with grams and ounces, I like having all that in one page. I hope whatever you come up with will be similar. I have SM3 but I still like to experiment with recipes in SoapCalc. I grok it better :)

Last edited:
OK guys, in the meantime, I've written a Stylish style that will change the background on SoapCalc to white. Install the Stylish addon to Chrome or Firefox and search for new styles (userstyles.org) with 'soapcalc' and install the style that comes up. It ought to be the only one.

It'll make SoapCalc look like this:

screenie_zpsfsjpgz66.jpg

OK guys, in the meantime, I've written a Stylish style that will change the background on SoapCalc to white. Install the Stylish addon to Chrome or Firefox and search for new styles (userstyles.org) with 'soapcalc' and install the style that comes up. It ought to be the only one.

screenie_zpsfsjpgz66.jpg

White can be pretty harsh too. My eyes can't always handle white with out some discomfort setting it. Thanks though.

Well, it's pretty easy to change, did you like the yellow that was there to start with? Or were you thinking just a softer gray?

ETA: Changed it so that it's lower contrast.

screenie_zpsicklnmag.jpg

Last edited:

Never mind and thank you - figured it out.

Last edited:
Any one have an idea how to email the former owner of Soapcalc? I'd like to thank them for providing a free calculator that is responsible for making every batch of soap I've ever made successful .

Anyone else noticing erratic results in Soapcalc

Maybe this is somewhere up thread (or in another thread), but has anyone else noticed strange results from Soapcalc?

Just yesterday, I entered an old recipe (Coconut 25%, Castor 20, Olive P 20, Canola 10, Avocado 10, Palm 10, Jojoba 5--it's a shampoo bar). A few months ago, I got results for properties/fatty acids of 31-17-60-35-33-65-136/12-5-12-3-18-33-8-1 and yesterday I got 46-25-48-25-21-66-154/17-7-17-4-0-29-16-3.

I played with it awhile, changing the order I entered the oils and even going back to my 1.5 lb batch from before and then scaling up to 4 pounds and finally got the numbers from before. Makes no sense.

Likewise, I've noticed that if I create a recipe and get reasonable numbers, but then add a tiny amount of candelilla wax the numbers go wonky (a couple of zeroes will show up). If I do the same recipe with candelilla entered first, I get normal results.

Anyone else with these issues?

Maybe this is somewhere up thread (or in another thread), but has anyone else noticed strange results from Soapcalc?

Just yesterday, I entered an old recipe (Coconut 25%, Castor 20, Olive P 20, Canola 10, Avocado 10, Palm 10, Jojoba 5--it's a shampoo bar). A few months ago, I got results for properties/fatty acids of 31-17-60-35-33-65-136/12-5-12-3-18-33-8-1 and yesterday I got 46-25-48-25-21-66-154/17-7-17-4-0-29-16-3.

I played with it awhile, changing the order I entered the oils and even going back to my 1.5 lb batch from before and then scaling up to 4 pounds and finally got the numbers from before. Makes no sense.

Likewise, I've noticed that if I create a recipe and get reasonable numbers, but then add a tiny amount of candelilla wax the numbers go wonky (a couple of zeroes will show up). If I do the same recipe with candelilla entered first, I get normal results.

Anyone else with these issues?

Welcome Randycoxclemens! :wave:

Funny you should mention that, because yesterday I noticed some extremely weird things going on with SoapCalc when I typed in my regular shave soap recipe. My recipe contains 20% castor and the total fatty acid readout for my batch was showing 0% for ricinoleic! :confused:

Also, my formula contains 70% hard fats/butters- a good portion of which is straight stearic acid- and the fatty acid profile showed a total of only 18% stearic! Hmmm.....

And my linoleic acid content was way off the charts as well. Normally it's 3%, but it was telling me my batch contained 30%. Talk about screwy!

Out of curiosity, I clicked on "Stearic Acid" just to see what it would show as its individual fatty acid profile. Oh my goodness- it showed stearic acid as having only 3% stearic acid and 70% linoleic! What the.....???

Next, I hit the SoapCalc's own reset button and retyped my ingredients in (twice), and both times it came back with the same results. Grrr!

Then I hit my own refresh button to update the page, retyped in my ingredients, and everything went back to normal. Whew!

At the time, I figured it was probably just my own computer, but now that you've reported the same kinds of wonky problems, I'm guessing that the weirdness was caused by the new owners temporarily fiddling with some of the settings.

IrishLass :)

If they're making changes, there may be caching issues. Type Ctrl-F5 to force the browser to reload the page from the internet instead of using its potential cache, and see if there are still problems.

SoapCalc went back to yellow again!

So SoapCalc managment seem to have listened (in) to what we said, or perhaps feedback from us, and now it is all back to the original color again.

Phew.
And yay : )

What a pity - I have used soap calc almost exclusively. So sorry to hear about the owner's health problems.
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

I use soapcalc daily! Until a few days ago and now it’s not opening at all! YIKES! I need to find another one that I understand how to use like I did this one.

Like you, I was using SoapCalc daily. As DeeAnna mentions further up the thread, SMF has their own calculator and it is very user friendly. It's not the same interface, but all the information plus additives are there.

Quoted for your convenience:
The Soapmaking Friend calc has many features not seen on most of the other calcs out there. It is well worth checking out. See https://www.soapmakingfriend.com/

I used SMF earlier today; very easy to use and I like the fact that it auto-fills the oils when you start typing because sometimes scrolling and clicking is too hard.

Latest posts

Back