SoapCalc is under new management

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I think about it, I have been using Adblock Plus for a few years, that's probably why I haven't been seeing those annoying adds. Whatever they did recently must have "broken" my Adblock settings so the adds suddenly came through. After fiddling with settings for a while I was able to get rid of them again. But those new colors are awful.

Perhaps that is what has happened to me too, Arthur. Good advice -- I'll look into that.

It begs the question if a website needs ads as an income stream, then why would a website owner advise users to block those very ads? As a small business owner, I track whether my advertising is effective and will drop ads in publications that don't result in sales.

Now that I think about it, I have been using Adblock Plus for a few years, that's probably why I haven't been seeing those annoying adds. Whatever they did recently must have "broken" my Adblock settings so the adds suddenly came through. After fiddling with settings for a while I was able to get rid of them again. But those new colors are awful.

How did you fiddle with settings :confused:
Still have flashing adds, very damaging to eyes,
I'll have to use another calculator :cry:

It begs the question if a website needs ads as an income stream, then why would a website owner advise users to block those very ads?

I thought that was odd too, it doesn't really make sense.

How did you fiddle with settings :confused:
Still have flashing adds, very damaging to eyes,
I'll have to use another calculator :cry:

You have to add each element (ad) to your ad blocker individually, how you do this will vary depending on which ad blocker you use and possibly which browser you use too.
With Adblock Plus in Google Chrome, left click on the ABP StopSign in the upper right hand section of the browser bar, in the drop-down menu click where it says "block element" then follow the instructions. Or, you can right click directly on the ad then click on "block element". If you are on a mobile device or other browser then I can't help you, sorry.

Last edited:
Some of you comment on new colors in soapcalc?
But here on my end it is just the same as it always has been... (Printed the screen)

SOAPCALC.jpg

About those blinking ads ... I can use soap calc on my iPad and then enlarge the screen and block out the sides. Just a quickly way around. But yes, annoying ... And the colour choice is nor particularly attractive.

Oh. The dark gray background wasn't showing on my Mac at home, but I see it at work. It doesn't bother me much, but I could see how it irritates others.

Black and orange - perhaps the new owner has Dutch roots .............:sick:

To help "push" the ads back, for those still bothered by ads...just press and hold the CTRL button and hit the +++ button and it will increase the page size...kind of zooming it in, and you have just the main part of the soapcalc with the ads pushed off the browser page.

Someone, somewhere posted about that and it helped me VERY much because in my advanced years I'm finding a need for larger fonts...

Ah, yes, there it is, in all its glory, the colors finally showed up on my PC too. Yay o_O

Btw, I wonder how SapCalc will look like for those that are colorblind, and more specifically those with Protanomaly, they won`t be able to see the helpfull links or anything highlighted in orange because they can`t see any shades that is in the red family. I don`t know, perhaps it turns brown?
But the background is already dark brown/grey so...
Perhaps there aren`t any colorblind soapers out there?

A lot of new oils added too, that is great! Although, Salmon oil, that would make an interesting soap. Suitable for fishermen perhaps. Yes I do see the fault in my reasoning... : P

Added oils doesn`t make me love the grey-brown/orange combo any better, though.
I am really trying, but... : P

There's been a recent trend in website design toward using lower-contrast color schemes and fairly dark color schemes -- much like what's going on at soapcalc right now. Low-contrast looks trendy and different, and I'm sure that's what makes this type of color scheme appealing to designers. But my gosh it's hard on the eyes. I don't want to think what these sites look like on a mobile device or small tablet -- I have a hard enough time when using a large monitor. The point of providing text on a website is for it to be read and digested ... not to put the viewer through an exercise in frustration. Here's an interesting site about this issue: http://contrastrebellion.com/ and another: https://www.nngroup.com/articles/low-contrast/

Oy. Your news about soapee is really disappointing -- I didn't know that it had been hacked. The shared recipes that others chose to make public were/are a really nice feature of soapee. I thought that was a nice touch -- my perception is the sharing helped to form a sense of community and helped support beginners.

Back