SoapCalc is under new management

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SoapCalc is my #1 preferred calc too.

The flashing adds actually gave me migraines, then I installed AdBlock+, it made a huge difference, no more headaches.

I have tried other calcs too, but SoapCalc is the one I just keep coming back to, no matter what.

I don`t care that is is still looking the same as it always have, if it ain`t broken, etc...

That said, if the owner of SMF gave a shot at making a new one (without flashing adds, flickering light etc) I would absolutely give it a fair chance : )

Tried to quote you @Arthur Dent, but the quote phrame came back empty every time, don`t know why that is.

I am sorry Adblock+ doesn`t work for you. It takes care of the problem completely for me, and I can`t see anything other than the things that needs to be there, so I am not sure why that is that it doesn`t work for you. Btw, I use Mozilla Firefox browser. Hopefully you`ll find something that will help you in this regard.

AdBlock Plus is usually helpful, but it's not working for me on the SoapCalc ads either. I too wrote to the Soapcalc folks asking them to reconsider their policy on the blinky ad thing. And got a mild headache while I was doing it -- there are those dadgummit ads even on their contact page. Ugh.

Sorry, I deleted my original message when I went back to SoapCalc and discovered that for some reason Adblock+ was suddenly working on those darned adds.
As per my original message, I left them a polite message explaining how annoying the adds are.
Deeanna, you might try adding the individual elements into Adblock+, close the page then go back. That's what seems to have fixed it for me.

Last edited:
AdBlock Plus is usually helpful, but it's not working for me on the SoapCalc ads either. I too wrote to the Soapcalc folks asking them to reconsider their policy on the blinky ad thing. And got a mild headache while I was doing it -- there are those dadgummit ads even on their contact page. Ugh.

I am sorry it doesn`t work for you either, DeeAnna. So strange that it eliminates the problem for me completely.

I get migraines out of anything flashing/bright etc. I can even get migraineattacks by sitting in a car driving next to the forrest and you get those alternating flashing sunrays because sunlight through the trees. Sunglasses are mandatory for me everytime I go out the door. It really is annoying.

I can`t stop thinking that I really find it a bit counterproductive having flashing ad signs like that, on soapcalc?? Because it alienates the people who want to use it, but can`t because they get seizures/headaches/migraines. Hence - losing potential customergroup that the very same advertizing was aimed towards.
Sorry, I deleted my original message when I went back to SoapCalc and discovered that for some reason Adblock+ was suddenly working on those darned adds.
As per my original message, I left them a polite message explaining how annoying the adds are.
Deeanna, you might try adding the individual elements into Adblock+, close the page then go back. That's what seems to have fixed it for me.

No worries! I just didn`t understand why I couldn`t get the quote thing to work, lol. Glad it started to work for you now, at least it takes care of the annoying bits untill perhaps they get feedback that they are actually alienating their users with seicure enducing adds : P

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter also has seizures and migraines from flashing ads. She would never be able to use soapcalc. I only use it because I am lazy and do not want to sit down and manually do the math, but that could change if the ads start bothering me. I assume all the ads are their way of keeping it free although it has always been free, or at least from when I stared soaping.

IT takes a lot of if then statements to make a good interface for a lye calculator. Then there's the inventory stuff that many people like to see. Keeping all of that simple and down to a single page would be difficult without a lot of "lookup" commands.
I'm working on a simple one for my own use. Since I am beginning to get a feel for the final properties of a given combination of oils I am not including the final profiles (yet).

Here's hoping that our Admin does one or that Soapcalc gets over the bright lights stuff.

Steve

I just looked at SoapCalc on my computer. The screen is black with orange and green lettering. Anyone else? That is horrible!! And harsh on the eyes. The flashing ads combined with the horrible screen colors have just "cancelled my subscription" to SoapCalc. However, the weird thing is the screen is normal on my iPhone and the ads are so small they don't bother me with their flashing. I just looked at my iPhone again and found out why the flashing ads don't bother me. I have to enlarge the screen to read the info, so the ads are not in my view while I'm using it. (Getting old sucks. I remember laughing at people in their 40s and 50s when I was in my 20s and 30s because they were using reading glasses. Oh, Karma! You truly are a b!tch.)

ETA: I'd also love to have a calculator on the SMF. One stop shopping and all that. While I soap with soapmaker 3 now, I still use the SoapCalc when I'm out and a soap recipe comes to mind or I'm researching qualities of soap when I'm on my lunch break at work. (Or I'm really bored and there's "nothing" to do...)

Last edited:
I got this reply from them a little while ago:

"Thanks for contacting us, I’m a little unsure as to what you mean by the “new ads” as we have only adjusted the color pallet of the website and starting looking into updating the oils list. The ads that appear on the boarders have always been there, they may have seemed less obtrusive due to the yellow background maybe?
I’m sorry that you don’t like them, but as SoapCalc is a free to use service we do need to collect revenue somehow to defer the hosting costs. If it’s too much of an issue, I would suggest using an ad blocking program for your browser, I have for years and it really helps.
Please feel free to send us any other feedback you may have as that is the only way we can make SoapCalc better."

I got this reply from them a little while ago:

"Thanks for contacting us, I’m a little unsure as to what you mean by the “new ads” as we have only adjusted the color pallet of the website and starting looking into updating the oils list. The ads that appear on the boarders have always been there, they may have seemed less obtrusive due to the yellow background maybe?
I’m sorry that you don’t like them, but as SoapCalc is a free to use service we do need to collect revenue somehow to defer the hosting costs. If it’s too much of an issue, I would suggest using an ad blocking program for your browser, I have for years and it really helps.
Please feel free to send us any other feedback you may have as that is the only way we can make SoapCalc better."

Which one picked the colors? Dracula or a Philadelphia Flyers fan?

I got pretty much the same reply as Arthur Dent did. I really don't remember the blinking and flashing thing going on in the past. Maybe it is the change to a light background or something that makes the difference. I've used soapcalc enough in the past to know I haven't gotten a headache when I've used it in the past, however, so something's definitely different now.

Back