SoapCalc is under new management

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use SoapCalc occasionally but am using SMF more often because I love using vinegar and appreciate how it calculates that lye difference for me.

That being said, can anyone fill me in as to why soap calculators all put the suggested cleansing range as 12-22? I'd like to suggest that SMF break the trend and set it to be something like 0-30.

It also would be nice if each of the categories in Recipe Properties had a little icon that could be clicked to open an explanation of that factor. For instance, the cleansing icon would open to say that even soap with a 0 cleansing number will clean; that body soaps usually are 15 or less; and that only household cleaning soaps (laundry, dishes) are on the very high end. Those of us with experience wouldn't need to click those icons, but those who are new would have an instant reference about what each category means, and why they may or may not care about it when formulating their soap.

For instance, I make a super gentle soap for my husband's sensitive skin. The longevity and hardness numbers are low, but I don't care because the recipe works so well with his skin (plus, I get to make more soap when it gets used up fast).

From http://soapcalc.net/ --------

"...Botanie Soap Inc is the proud new owner of SoapCalc! Botanie has over 15 years of soapmaking experience bringing a knowledge base to SoapCalc not previously available....

"You will start to notice things changing on within the website as Botanie Soap works to improve SoapCalc. Starting with a new logo and overall look. The lye calculator will remain with the same functionality and will only change in the sense to add new oils to improve its offerings and meet the needs of our users...."
When is it going to be available?

Hi, can I ask you how you substitute the water for vinegar? Did you mix the villager with the lye?
I like using vinegar instead of distilled water because it's cheap, I always have it around, it acts as a mild chelator, and (in my very subjective opinion) it makes the lather a bit gentler. I mix the lye into it just like I would the water, except more slowly to avoid a strong exothermic reaction. Remember, you never put the liquid into the lye; you always put the lye into the liquid!

The amount of lye also needs to be recalculated specifically for vinegar instead of water. The SMF calculator will do that for you if you check the appropriate boxes.

There are some other great threads in this forum about using vinegar as the water replacement in your lye solution. Here is a link to one of those vinegar threads; you can find others by putting "vinegar" in the search bar at the top of the page.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/vinegar-as-lye-water.57268/

I will look at smf but would really like to know what’s up with soapcalc.

Perhaps you should contact the owners directly -- Botanie Soap -- if you want answers direct from the source.

I don't use online calcs except when I'm helping other people who are learning how to use the calcs, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

:)Hi all,
I’m seeing that there are soap calc apps in the App Store. I have spotty WiFi in my soap making cave (basement) and was hoping someone might have some recommendations for an app to try. Thanks very much!

I use soapcalc daily! Until a few days ago and now it’s not opening at all! YIKES! I need to find another one that I understand how to use like I did this one.

WSP (Wholesale Supplies Plus) has always had the same calculator as SoapCalc on their site. I used it yesterday and the results are the the same. I’ve stuck with SoapCalc since I started soaping 13 years ago, so that’s my go to.

I like that SoapCalc gets all the information on one page. I printed out a recipe yesterday on SMF and it was 3 pages. Yes the calculator is fine - just....I don't really need 3 pages!
Isn’t there a box to check so you don’t get all the pages? Not in a place to check that right now but thought I remembered that option.

Since SoapCalc is under new management, how do you access it now since the old web address isn't working?

Since SoapCalc is under new management, how do you access it now since the old web address isn't working?

Soapcalc is not under new management. This thread was started in 2016, and since the administrators don't want to lock older threads, the threads are restarted and some posters don't bother to read the dates of when the last post was made.

Also, from post #107:

Perhaps you should contact the owners directly -- Botanie Soap -- if you want answers direct from the source.

Latest posts

Back