Soap smelling like old oil two weeks into curing??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen74

Reaction score
Okay, so a couple months ago I made some soap using the same ingredients I used the first couple times I made this soap, but this time I noticed a old like oil smell from the bars after they had been curing for two to three weeks. Well I decided to try making it again and everything went well, but now I am two weeks into the curing and it is starting to get that same smell. I cannot figure out what is causing it. I used all new bottles of oil. The first couple times I have made it, I did not have this issue. I mean I used the same ingredients ( I did have to get a different brand of the palm Kernel oil). I cannot imagine that is the cause since all the oils smelled fine( no odor at all prior to making the soap). It seems like while it is curiing it starts getting this old oil smell after a couple weeks into curing. I just cannot figure out why since the first two times I did not have this issue and I have made the soap the same way each time. I use very little ingredients and No scents as I am super sensitive. I will show the recipe I used below, I uses SoapCalc to put it together.

Palm Kernel oil, Palm oil, lye, and water.

Water- 9.18 ounces
Lye- 4.52 ounces
oils- 32 ounces.( palm kernel oil- 6.40 ounces) ( palm oil- 25.60 ounces)

What could cause my soap to have like an old oil smell after it has been curing for 2 weeks? I am at a loss.... Any ideas? I mean the question is, is this smell mean the oil has went bad or is it just a normal smell? Is it safe to use?

Is your Palm Kernel oil refined or unrefined?

If it is the new variable, (A different brand), I am likely to suspect it. The first time I saw palm kernel flakes was a year ago. I have always used the unrefined oil and it does have a smell.

If the oil is rancid, you should see DOS in a couple of weeks but if not, it could just be the smell of the palm kernel oil.

Is your Palm Kernel oil refined or unrefined?

If it is the new variable, (A different brand), I am likely to suspect it. The first time I saw palm kernel flakes was a year ago. I have always used the unrefined oil and it does have a smell.

If the oil is rancid, you should see DOS in a couple of weeks but if not, it could just be the smell of the palm kernel oil.

Thank you. I used Dr. Adorable brand which is 100% pure organic cold pressed palm kernel oil. I also used Sustainable palm oil from essential Depot. Those are the oils I am using in my soap. I mean it seems like the smell starts coming about two weeks into the curing and just gets stronger as the time goes. I looked and found one small orange spot on one of the bars I made a few weeks back. This new batch is two weeks in and I can smell a hint of the old smell starting in this batch. I am not sure what to do. I am guessing they are not safe to use if they go rancid right? What is making them go rancid? The oils smell perfectly fine prior to making. I mean I am smelling the same jars I used in this last batch and there is No old smell at all. What would cause them to smell old or go rancid while curing??

Okay, so a couple months ago I made some soap using the same ingredients I used the first couple times I made this soap, but this time I noticed a old like oil smell from the bars after they had been curing for two to three weeks. Well I decided to try making it again and everything went well, but now I am two weeks into the curing and it is starting to get that same smell. I cannot figure out what is causing it. I used all new bottles of oil. The first couple times I have made it, I did not have this issue. I mean I used the same ingredients ( I did have to get a different brand of the palm Kernel oil). I cannot imagine that is the cause since all the oils smelled fine( no odor at all prior to making the soap). It seems like while it is curiing it starts getting this old oil smell after a couple weeks into curing. I just cannot figure out why since the first two times I did not have this issue and I have made the soap the same way each time. I use very little ingredients and No scents as I am super sensitive. I will show the recipe I used below, I uses SoapCalc to put it together.

Palm Kernel oil, Palm oil, lye, and water.

Water- 9.18 ounces
Lye- 4.52 ounces
oils- 32 ounces.( palm kernel oil- 6.40 ounces) ( palm oil- 25.60 ounces)

What could cause my soap to have like an old oil smell after it has been curing for 2 weeks? I am at a loss.... Any ideas? I mean the question is, is this smell mean the oil has went bad or is it just a normal smell? Is it safe to use?
It could be the brand of palm that you used. Did you use any scent in the soap? I have never made a 100% palm oil soap but I did notice that some of my oils have a smell to them that is not always pleasant per say. What are the dates on your oils?
That is going to be a really hard bar of soap.

It could be the brand of palm that you used. Did you use any scent in the soap? I have never made a 100% palm oil soap but I did notice that some of my oils have a smell to them that is not always pleasant per say. What are the dates on your oils?
That is going to be a really hard bar of soap.

The date on the oil are good ( expiration date on the palm oil is 06-01-2022 and the expiration date on the palm kernel oil is 12-2021. What I cannot get is that the oils I used smell fine, I am smelling the jars right now. No smell at all really. The smell comes two weeks into curing the bars. So what is making them go rancid two weeks into curing?? I mean I have them sitting out getting airflow around them. We have our AC on ( it is summer here) so the house is Not hot or humid). I cannot figure this out. There are no scents added as I am super sensitive. Is it safe to use these soaps?

A few possibilities come to mind for me:

1. Did you use distilled water? Tap water, even filtered, can have impurities that make soap go bad.

2. Did the soap come into contact with any metal such as aluminum foil, an aluminum spoon, etc., at any point during the process of making it or curing it? Even some stainless steel, if it is rusted or chipped, can affect make soap go bad.

3. Is the curing soap in direct sunlight at any time during the day? This will definitely make uncured soap go bad, IME.

A few possibilities come to mind for me:

1. Did you use distilled water? Tap water, even filtered, can have impurities that make soap go bad.

2. Did the soap come into contact with any metal such as aluminum foil, an aluminum spoon, etc., at any point during the process of making it or curing it? Even some stainless steel, if it is rusted or chipped, can affect make soap go bad.

3. Is the curing soap in direct sunlight at any time during the day? This will definitely make uncured soap go bad, IME.

I used distilled water. Didn't use any aluminum at all. I melted the oils in a stainless steel pot( but I did this the first two times and my soap didn't get this smell.). Not curing in the direct sunlight at all.

This sounds a lot like DOS. What equipment do you use for mixing?
Well I melt the oils in a stainless steel pot. I use a silicone spatula to stir. The molds are also silicone

If the stainless steel pot's finish is perfectly intact and no other utensils are touching your oils at any point in time, the only thing I can come up with is contamination in the PKO itself during the extraction process. Is it possible to get a small amount from a different source and see what happens?

This sounds a lot like DOS. What equipment do you use for mixing?
Does the ceramic plate have any metallic decorations on it? Or any cracks in the ceramic? I'm really stretching here but not sure what else it could be.
No not at all

If the stainless steel pot's finish is perfectly intact and no other utensils are touching your oils at any point in time, the only thing I can come up with is contamination in the PKO itself during the extraction process. Is it possible to get a small amount from a different source and see what happens?
What is PKO? I mean I cannot figure this out at all. Maybe too much humidity in the house? I mean we have our central air on all the time in the summer so it is not hot in the house at all. WHat should the humidity level be?

Can you recommend a palm kernel oil?
I recommend "soaper's Choice" for your PKO but the smallest amount is 10 pounds. If you want a smaller amount you can try "wholesale supplies plus" but they have a 9-14 day wait for shipping. Your best bet will be Amazon Prime if you have it. You can get as little as 4 ounces.

Thank you. I used Dr. Adorable brand which is 100% pure organic cold pressed palm kernel oil. I also used Sustainable palm oil from essential Depot. Those are the oils I am using in my soap. I mean it seems like the smell starts coming about two weeks into the curing and just gets stronger as the time goes. I looked and found one small orange spot on one of the bars I made a few weeks back. This new batch is two weeks in and I can smell a hint of the old smell starting in this batch. I am not sure what to do. I am guessing they are not safe to use if they go rancid right? What is making them go rancid? The oils smell perfectly fine prior to making. I mean I am smelling the same jars I used in this last batch and there is No old smell at all. What would cause them to smell old or go rancid while curing??
I have to say I think it's the Palm Kernel Oil. I once bought Palm Oil from Dr. Adorable and it was rancid - so I have never again bought from this person.

I have to say I think it's the Palm Kernel Oil. I once bought Palm Oil from Dr. Adorable and it was rancid - so I have never again bought from this person.

Did your PKO smell rancid in the jar? Mine does not smell rancid. It's like 2 weeks into my soap curing that the rancid smell comes out

Latest posts

Back