Soap Newbie saying hi

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogsong

Reaction score
Hi. I'm Sarah from Montana and I have recently developed an addiction to soap-making. My story:

I've always had problems with very dry skin, eczema, and even some small patches of what appeared to be psoriasis. Last summer, the problem reached a tipping point. I was on vacation and slathering on sun screen every few hours. By the end of the trip, my whole body was itching to the point that I was bleeding from scratching so much and sleeping with ice packs packed around my body to get enough relief to fall asleep.

When I got home, my doctor told me two things. Never wear sun screen again, and find some good lotion. He said NOT to use the lotion that feels very good and cooling when you put it on, but some lotion that feels greasy and unpleasant when you put it on.

When I got home, I started looking online for some good lotion for my problems. Eureka! YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN LOTION!!! Who knew?? :)

Using all natural ingredients with no stabilizers, I was able to create the greatest, greasiest itch-fighting salves the world has ever known. :D Within a couple of days, I was sleeping without ice packs. And within a week, my problems were basically solved.

I've never gone back, and for me, those salves were a gateway drug. First to lip balms. And, then, inevitably I suppose, to soap-making.

I've made a grand total of seven batches of soap. Both CP and HP. I've made liquid soaps both by grating down a CP bar and by using KOH and following a liquid soap recipe.

Not everything has come out perfectly, but that's okay. I haven't needed store bought dish soap or hand soap since I started, and I'M COMPLETELY ADDICTED.

I am very excited about some recipes that I'm hoping to give to my family for Christmas this year, so I will likely have numerous newbie questions. I'm glad I found this place.

Back