Soap newbie question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshPea

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to soap making, just made my first batch Saturday and unmolded yesterday. I had a question about lye calculating. I used a shoe box for a mold and decided to make around 3 lbs of soap (47.13 oz to be exact), so I put a basic recipe from SoapQueen into the lye calculator on brambleberry and basically my actual yield is 45.3 oz. Is this normal to lose a few oz in the process? Here's the exact recipe:

10% almond oil - 3.2 oz
30% coconut oil - 9.6 oz
30% palm oil (I used red palm oil, all I could find) - 9.6 oz
30% olive oil - 9.6 oz
5% lye - 4.57 oz
10.56 oz water
Yield - 47.13 oz

I don't use Bramblebery's calculator. I added up your oils and you have 32 ounces of oils that is 2 lbs you need 48 ounces of oils for 3 pounds. I don't count water amount and weight for my mold. try calculation in Soapcalc 9 and put in 48 ounces of oils and use your percentages in your recipe.

I don't use Bramblebery's calculator. I added up your oils and you have 32 ounces of oils that is 2 lbs you need 48 ounces of oils for 3 pounds. I don't count water amount and weight for my mold. try calculation in Soapcalc 9 and put in 48 ounces of oils and use your percentages in your recipe.

Ohh thank you! Why don't you use Brambleberry's? Is it bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1379343686.626623.jpg

Here is a pic of the finished product by the way :)

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

That looks great you should be so proud of yourself!! Good job! Love the color.

Back