Soap molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candle Guy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a beginner at soap making and I want to purchase a soap mold. I was looking into a 42 inch loaf or log mold. My question is can you make less soap than the 42 inches. There is a recipe that I would like to try out but it will not fill the mold completely. Will this affect how the soap turns out?

Thank you for the quick response. I am looking to buy a mold right now. I just ordered all of the supplies minus the mold. Any suggestions for CP soap?

The soap calculator is confusing me lol. That is how much of a soap rookie that I am.

Ok. My favorite small mold only holds about 16 oz. There's one at Bramble Berry and another at Nurture. I would use that or one for 32 oz.

If you have an existing soap recipe from a book or website, the first step I would take is to convert the amounts to percentages. In the calculator, you input the amount of oils (16 oz or 450 g).

Adjust the superfat.

Then, you select each of the oils and put in the percentage for each oil. The calculator will give you your new recipe with measurements for oils, water, and NaOH.

I highly recommend a smaller mold. I make and seek and don’t use a mold that big. Plus if you make that much soap as a beginner you may not even like the recipe or something goes wrong thats a lot of wasted money. I wouldn’t make more than a pound or two at a time tops.

I highly recommend a smaller mold. I make and seek and don’t use a mold that big. Plus if you make that much soap as a beginner you may not even like the recipe or something goes wrong thats a lot of wasted money. I wouldn’t make more than a pound or two at a time tops.

Thanks and I ordered a roughly 2lb mold. I also ordered a bunch of supplies to get me started. I am starting with a beginners recipe so hopefully it will work out :oops: lol. The recipe calls for 2lbs.

Thanks again I do appreciate everyone helping me out. I have been making candles for a few years now and I always help out the candle rookies lol. Guess it's coming around for me with soaps now lol

Just a little note, the 42 inch mold you mentioned would have made roughly 13 lbs of soap. That is a lot of soap and a lot of wasted product if you hate the soap. That is why we usually recommend 1 lb molds. Wholesale supplies has a neat 1 lb silicone mold that makes 4 bars. I love it for small test batches.
Crafters Choice™ Short (Small) Loaf Silicone Mold 1504 - Wholesale Supplies Plus

Great idea on the smaller molds. I do appreciate that input. I will definitely check this out

I was going to suggest this mold for a beginner for small batches - soap mold
It's inexpensive, and it's the mold I used for YEARS before going to a very slightly bigger mold.

But I see you have already purchased a mold and supplies.
Next is making soap and posting pics!! :)

Hello Candleattic,

I remember you from craftserver. How have you been? Also I am not against trying out another mold also. So thanks for the link I appreciate it.

Hello Candleattic,
I remember you from craftserver. How have you been? Also I am not against trying out another mold also. So thanks for the link I appreciate it.
HI!! :) I don't go over there much anymore, but I'm still around, still creating. Good to see you joining the soap side of things!! :) Seems like a natural progression.

I haven't been on that site in a long time. I am still doing candles but I want to learn soap as well. I know that I will have a huge up hill climb but i am not scared lmao. If anything i can make stuff for friends and family and personal use.

I know that I will have a huge up hill climb but i am not scared lmao
IMO the soapmaking learning curve was MUCH easier to master than candlemaking. So so much easier.
After you get a few batches under your belt, you will have to tell me what you think and if my assessment is accurate.

Latest posts

Back