Soap making first aid kit?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babyshoes

Reaction score
Hi folks, I've done a search and didn't see anything that covers this question...

As a glass worker, burns are part and parcel of the hobby - even when you're careful, cold glass can occasionally crack, pop off and spit when you first put it in the flame, and even that brief time in the heat is enough to cause burns. Less common are burns from very hot glass and tools. As a result, I always have water to hand and a first aid kit with burn gel.

Does anyone keep a special first aid kit for soaping? Will burn gel work on chemical burns? (after washing in cold water for 15 mins, of course.)

I'm not planning to splash lye around of course, but given how much mess I make when cooking, it's best to be prepared!

In the book Scientific soapmaking, Kevin Dunn suggest having an eye rinsing solution bottle nearby. Goggles are needed of course, but sometimes people remove them briefly if they get foggy, etc. and that is when eyes are at risk.

In the book Scientific soapmaking, Kevin Dunn suggest having an eye rinsing solution bottle nearby. Goggles are needed of course, but sometimes people remove them briefly if they get foggy, etc. and that is when eyes are at risk.

Thank you, I have some saline eye wash pods in the general household first aid kit, I'll make sure they are easily accessible before I start. 😊

Does anyone keep a special first aid kit for soaping?

Not really. I have less a 'kit' and more a drawer in a stand-alone-cabinet in the bathroom that can easily be gotten into or simply pulled out when in doubt of what one needs. It'll handle most minor household emergencies and is better equipped than most 'kits' based on having been on this earth for almost 60 years.

Will burn gel work on chemical burns? (after washing in cold water for 15 mins, of course.)

The absolute best thing for most common household chemical burns like bleach, concrete mix, drain or toilet bowl cleaners, metal cleaners and pool chlorinators is water. If you are using anything else, you need to read up on them. To deal with pain from a lye burn, I use Burn Gel by Water Jel. It's a little spendy, but a little goes a long way.

Back