Soap Journal Review - Evernote

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovelyMalia

Reaction score
After a discussion the other day about using soap journals, I figured I'd give you a simple review about Evernote (a program that works/syncs on a tablet, phone, and PC)

When you download it, you set up an account. Its simple and they don't send you spam emails (I've had it for some time now - using it for other things, so I know for sure)

The use on my phone is very simple. There's an icon to attach or take pictures. This was good when I wanted to document my trace, my gel, and anything else that I felt needed to be photographed (including the recipe, which I was too lazy to type out).

I make small notes on my phone (typing on touch screen makes me nuts, even after having one for 3 years), then I go onto my comp later and update it thoroughly with details.

The computer version is also user friendly.

Pros

-You can make designated "notebooks" so I made one specifically for soap
-Being able to attach/take pictures is a huge plus
-Has all of the basic text functions - bullets, bold, italics, paragraphing, font size, tables, etc)
-Has a recording feature which I haven't screwed around with yet, where you can record audio notes.
-The PC version shows a list on the side of all of your notes in that specific notebook.
-You can share notebooks. This isn't a feature I'd use for my soap notebook, but its still cool to have.
-Has a really decent Help feature and a tips feature.
-You can create and customize a widget for your smartphone.
-Phone version has a "skitch" feature where you can draw something or write on something (sort of like highlighting or circling stuff in a book or magazine, I guess?)
-You can create to-do lists. I've got one going for things I need for my soaps and I'm thinking of starting a goals list.
-The thing I like about the phone version is that it keeps your screen "awake" so you don't have to keep turning the screen on to type something out while working.

Cons

The only con I've found so far is that I can't figure out how to resize images. This isn't that big of a deal, but would make life easier on the computer when I want to add little notes in and these gigantic pictures are taking over.

So, overall, Evernote is a great program to use if you're looking to start a journal or transfer a journal over. There's really nothing about this that WOULDN'T work for a soapmaker - pictures, voice recording, text, and I'm sure if it doesn't already, they will add a video feature.

Hope this extremely long review helped you people! haha!

Hmm, this is not an ideal solution, but it's a workaround:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOUIz06X6F0[/ame]

If you are on PC, you can use programs like Paint or a free program called IrfanView to resize. Macs have Preview, which does the same thing.

It looks like a lot of people are requesting image resizing in Evernote itself in their forums, so here's hoping they decide to add that feature.

I wanna be able to use this program, but I can not get it switched over to goggle Chrome! When I downloaded it it was automatically opened with my old internet Explorer :???:

hmmm...that's strange. I was able to download it right onto my PC. I have a Mac now, though, and it was in the appstore.

I wanna be able to use this program, but I can not get it switched over to goggle Chrome! When I downloaded it it was automatically opened with my old internet Explorer :???:

Are you using the web-based login or did you download and install a program? It can be used both ways, which is why I'm asking :think:

Are you using the web-based login or did you download and install a program? It can be used both ways, which is why I'm asking :think:

I have the web clipper thanks to the link posted.
The Evernote Remember Everything was what I had downloaded and installed, the other day. It went strait to Explorer. I couldn't get Chrome to open it. But I should be able to use the web clipper to do what I need to.

Back