Soap for Acne ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make my facial soap with activated charcoal. 1 tsp ppo. It has cleared up my skin so now I swear by it!

I would ask what they want as a scent in the soap. Reason is if they Love the scent they will wash more with it. Teens are bad with washing face I know for I never remembered to do it twice a day when young. Never like the smell of the soap either I had to use. Any homemade soap will help alot with acne do to lack of ingredinets in the soap that commerical soap has that makes it worse. Tea Tree is good but put a scent that the teen real loves and they should use it more. Acne is a hormone thing and some just will not clear up till hormones stablize no matter what you use.

Also, I'd caution the chamomile. It's a relative of ragweed and if you're allergic to ragweed, you can react to chamomile. Anything with chamomile in it makes my face sting.

There was another thread about oils and allergies, specifically peanut oil. It was said that processing the oil removes any elements causing allergies. Talked about frying food in those oils and using soap made from those oils not causing problems. Here it said that at least chamomile does so it appears that saponification process (gelling) does not change the the properties of any herbs used. Is this correct?

Thanks for any insight.

There was another thread about oils and allergies, specifically peanut oil. It was said that processing the oil removes any elements causing allergies. Talked about frying food in those oils and using soap made from those oils not causing problems. Here it said that at least chamomile does so it appears that saponification process (gelling) does not change the the properties of any herbs used. Is this correct?

Thanks for any insight.

Highly refined oils have been stripped of all of their proteins that trigger an allergic reaction, but there are still some concerns about setting the threshold for the process and what is an acceptable level of refining. Unrefined oils such as expeller-pressed or cold-pressed oils can and do contain proteins and are therefore allergenic in people that are sensitive to it.

I have no idea if the chamomile oil in question is refined or not, or whether unrefined could cause a cross reaction in people with a ragweed sensitivity. I have seen that same info oft repeated but I have never seen a source that confirms it.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

I have adult acne, and I use a bar I made with grapeseed oil and tea tree oil. Works really well for me, it's sort of drying but pretty gentle overall (I have sensitive skin).

I make my salt bars with 100% coconut oil and 1:1 himalyan sea salt/oils ratio. They're very nice, and seem to help with the body acne.

Hmm this is gonna be a little off topic but would any of these be a decent supplement to psoriasis or eczema treatments?

Hmm this is gonna be a little off topic but would any of these be a decent supplement to psoriasis or eczema treatments?

Eczema-no. No soap at all is best for eczema, but if you absolutely have to use soap, something very gentle (like 100% olive oil & goat milk if there's no allergies to it) would be best.

I don't have experience with psoriasis, so I can't really comment on that.

Latest posts

Back