Soap cutter leaves bars rough

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, my wonderful hubby bought me a wooden soap cutter in October. It broke yesterday cutting a 24 hour old log of soap (but that's a different discussion).

As I'm shopping for a new soap cutter, I wondered if ALL cutters leave the bars as rough as mine did. I've attached a picture so you can see the 'texture' of the soap. It doesn't look this way when I use my unsteady hand and cut using a hand soap cutter.

newbars.jpg

Wire cutters are know for leaving little bumps on the surface. You can plane them off if they bother you. If your wires broke on your cutter, your soap was either too hard or the wires too tight.

Your soap with the flaky surface looks like it might have been cut a bit too late, flakes like that aren't normal with a cutter. Attached a picture of my soap with bumps I always get with my DIY cutter.

Attachments

• 5d9e2r.jpg
    5d9e2r.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 61
Attached a picture of my soap with bumps I always get with my DIY cutter.
I thought that was tiny air bubble and I was introducing air into my batter! Good to know it’s the cutter....because come to think of it - I didn’t have a problem when I use a dough cutter/scraper. Thanks!

I thought that was tiny air bubble and I was introducing air into my batter! Good to know it’s the cutter....because come to think of it - I didn’t have a problem when I use a dough cutter/scraper. Thanks!

Sometimes it can be from air bubbles or from harder bits in the soap, its thought the wires kinda of skims over those areas leaving the bumps.

@Obsidian So you think I should have cut my soap sooner? Hmmm... Okay, I can do that! I thought I was a little premature at 24 hours! lol The wires didn't break - the wood actually broke! My loaf was stuck in the wires and everything was all whopper-jawed! I had a heck of a time getting my 1/4 of the way cut log out!
I put not a lot of pressure on the cutter (never do). I'm just heart-broken about it!
The other issue I had with the cutter - it was not going to clear the taller bar of soap! The wood was going to scrape down the side if I pushed it tight up to the guide, so I had to figure out how I was going to try to cut it in the cutter between the 1st bar (shorter bar) and the 2nd log...
Could the hour or so between cuts have caused my 2nd log to harden to the point where it wouldn't go through the cutter at all?

Last edited:
If a wooden part on the cutter broke, you might want to contact the seller/maker about that. That shouldn't be happening unless the cutter has been abused.... (edit -- ...or a flaw. Since you're careful with your cutter, then it's got to be a flaw that couldn't stand up to normal use. end edit)

Try cutting the taller bar by setting the soap loaf on its side.

I cut soap when it feels like colby cheese or young cheddar -- firm but resilient. You don't want it soft like cream cheese, but you don't want it hard like aged cheddar or parmesan. A wire cutter will naturally leave a slightly bumpy surface, but the cut face shouldn't be super rough or flaky.

If it's too soft, the cut surfaces can look rough and sometimes smeary. That's what I thought when I looked at your pics in Post 1, so it surprised me that you said it was too hard, rather than too soft. If soap is too hard (and assuming your wire cutter or knife will actually go through it), the soap can chip or break, especially at the bottom of the cut.

Last edited:
Yes, if it was the wood that broke contact the maker. There was most likely a flaw in the wood or craftsmanship.

I've never used a full log cutter so I don't know how hard is too hard but when I use my single bar cutter, the wire slides right through. If I waited a full 24 hours, most of my soap would be too hard. When that happens, I switch up to a knife.

I suppose a hour or two could affect hardness between two loafs, especially if they are different sizes.

I use a wire cutter that fits my log, if I wait 24 hrs with my formulas most would break a wire or more than one wire, much to the aggravation of the hubby. I have to cut my vinegar soaps within 12 hrs. I would agree that the wood should not break, but my cutter is metal.

If you tighten the strings too tight it can put unnecessary pressure on the wood and cause it to break. You should also release the strings before you put it away.

Use g strings and you might find it helps if you oil the strings lightly before cutting the soap.

Back