soap crumbled when cut

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Lizayle

Reaction score
so I made soap using coconut oil, shea butter and olive oil. I used the lye calculator and I made a lb. It did everything it was supposed to do but I went to check on it an hour later and it was solid as a rock! When I went to cut it, I wasn't thinking I know I didn't wait long enough, but it crumbled into hard shards. I took the pieces lest over and tried again today... same thing.

commoncenz

Reaction score
Someone is going to ask to see your recipe. Was it mostly Shea? Mostly CO? How much lye/water, etc. It's the only way they will be able to really see what could be going on.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be sure to write the weights of the ingredients in the recipe. It helps us tremendously.

Lizayle

Reaction score
I have no idea what I used... I thought I did, but I must have measured something wrong because I used the "same recipe" the next day and it came out great. It seemed like it was an accelerated cure but I didn't add fragrances because I'm just starting and I wanted to just get the basics.

Maybe I'm going crazy... But the 2nd bar came out well!

Dorymae

Reaction score
Soaps with a high percentage of coconut oil will become rock hard in only a few hours. When I make 100 percent coconut oil soap for laundry I have to cut it before it is fully gelled. ( the center is still gooey) Even then the edges shatter.

Latest posts