soap colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might try them out to see if they work well in M&P but I would be very reluctant to try them in CP. Its difficult enough having to work with colorants stable enough to survive the lye. So I only work with colorants identified as lye stable. You can find great soap stable micas, oxides, and other colorants at several soap suppliers. I use TKB and Nurture for the majority of mine.

I might try them out to see if they work well in M&P but I would be very reluctant to try them in CP. Its difficult enough having to work with colorants stable enough to survive the lye. So I only work with colorants identified as lye stable. You can find great soap stable micas, oxides, and other colorants at several soap suppliers. I use TKB and Nurture for the majority of mine.

I will check those out. Thank you!

Food coloring won’t work well in CP. Blue may but get a purple they are not made for high PH.

okay, good to know. Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I used icing colorants for dying wool when doing felting. But that's not the same thing as using it in soap, now is it?

I don't recall for sure if I ever tried one in CP soap, although I do believe I did consider it at one point. If I did, I apparently was not impressed or I'd have remembered I think. I know with some different things I've tried that were NOT intended for use in the high pH environment of Lye soap, the results were sometimes a complete bomb (no color resulted) or a disappointment (color faded quickly), but sometimes a nice surprise (where color lasted), but it was always unpredictable, so I don't try those much anymore unless I am traveling and forgot to bring lye stable colorants with me.

I have also tried some colorants that were unsuccessful. I probably won't use my cake colorants after reading the replies. Thank you Earlene. I appreciate your input.

thanks Dixiedragon...........I'm in Canada so I have ordered a bunch from a dealer in British Columbia. 20 dollars for shipping! yikes! I spent about 125 bucks. My early Xmas present. :thumbs:

I feel your pain. Postage for just about anything soap related start at $95 from the US to Oz. It is great if you can get free delivery to a friend near the border (on the US side) and pick it up. I did something similar when someone was visiting the US. What a bonus!

I feel your pain. Postage for just about anything soap related start at $95 from the US to Oz. It is great if you can get free delivery to a friend near the border (on the US side) and pick it up. I did something similar when someone was visiting the US. What a bonus!
Also, a lot of places won't send to Australia, I'm not sure why the postage process is so hard from that end. Not soap, I wanted some stamps and they didn't post to oz, so I got them posted to a friend in Texas and she sent them on, no hassles, she just repackaged them up so postage was not that expensive. We get stuff from China with free postage all the time.

95 dollars! I guess I can't complain too much. Unfortunately I don't have any friends in Michigan who leave near the border. That's great that your friend was able to bring your stuff home for you.

95 dollars! I guess I can't complain too much. Unfortunately I don't have any friends in Michigan who leave near the border. That's great that your friend was able to bring your stuff home for you.
Hi, have you tried windypointsoap as they offer free shipping if you spend around $125 (canada only)

Latest posts

Back