Soap by Fiday!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mom2tyler

Reaction score
My son just asked if I could make soap for Valentines Day for his class, sigh.... I can do 50/50 discount but it still needs 2 weeks to get hard enough. Do yall think it's tacky to put some sort of note with the soap stating not to use before this date or something like that?? Has anyone ever given soap before it was ready???

Well, according to Anne L. Watson there is no problem using a CP soap before it's been stored. The only problem lies in how hard the bar is and therefore, how long it will last.

This is my experience as well. If you get zapped by the soap you did it wrong and no amount of storage will change that. You won't be zapped by a properly made batch, even after only 12 hours.

What about doing a melt and pour? How old is your son & his classmates?

He's 10. I don't have any melt and pour. I thought about bath bombs but some of his friends have been here and they like my chocolate soap.
I was thinking of putting a note in the bag and also emailing parents explaining they need a bit more cure time. I hope they will appreciate the thought. I'm making chocolate mint (pink peppermint hearts - already made) in chocolate swirl for girls and multi layer Froot Loop FO for boys

Most people keep Valentine's Day presents as mementos, and cherish them, rather than using them straight away.
Chocolate of course might be an exception to that. :wink:

mom2tyler said:
My son just asked if I could make soap for Valentines Day for his class, sigh.... I can do 50/50 discount but it still needs 2 weeks to get hard enough. Do yall think it's tacky to put some sort of note with the soap stating not to use before this date or something like that?? Has anyone ever given soap before it was ready???

That's not tacky at all...include the note! Given that most people will jump the gun anyway, I'd add extra time to it and tell them not to use it before March 8th.

Definitely explain why, too--it's not that it'll hurt you, but the bar will be nicer and last longer if they wait. That may help. :)

How about HP?
I know it still should cure and will be better as it does but maybe this would eliminate the need for a note saying "Do not use before...". Maybe just include a note saying "Made on 2/10/2010... ready to use but will improve with age".

That said... I see no problem with the "Don't use before..." note.

Latest posts

Back