So sad I am out of lard tonight

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same issue Soapsense! I have to use up the palm i have on hand so todays soaps are going to be palm:( The last time I bought lard my dogs broke into my oil area and ate the lard. It was in a box wrapped in foil like cream cheese comes in. So now I buy it as needed. It's too tempting to the little beasts.

Thanks, xraygrl. I think I'll try tallow. Maybe I'll venture into lard at some point in the future :)

For those of you using up the palm oil, there is no reason why you can't sneak some lard in there too! ;)

Lots of people saying they like lard better, but not why. One person mentioned creamier lather. So, can anyone else say exactly why it is better?

I'm new to soap making and bought a lot of CO and PO before I was more acquainted with the other options, particularly animal fat. I butchered a few deer this year and I've never saved the fat. That won't happen again. Still, I'd like to know what to expect that is different about soaps made from animal fat.

Lard is great as it makes a harder bar, and it's also high oleic so it's conditioning and gentle as well. Not to mention it's readily available in most places, and the price is quite reasonable. It's like a luxury oil without the luxury price! :thumbup:

I'm so glad I read this thread! I usually use Palm oil, now I really really want to try my normal recipe with lard instead of Palm. I've been at it quite a while and I have been debating whether or not to try lard, and now I'm convinced. And I love that I will be able to get it locally if I love as much as all of you

I just got my tallow order from Texas Natural Supply to tide me over while I'm out of lard. Back in town and can't wait to start soaping again! Animal fats make the yummiest soaps!

I've heard great things about lard, but I have issues rubbing pork products on my body (Jewish). Does beef tallow have the same basic properties? So far I've only made soaps with plant-based oils.

Hi! I eat kosher. Since I don't eat pork, and in my quest of soapy goodness, I've done some research. I looked at different opinions on chabad dot org and different rabbis have different opinions. It's an ingestion issue, I've decided for me personally.

Though I won't soap with lard, and though I won't wash my face with it, I'm willing to use lard soaps on some conditions.

#1 not on my face.
#2 not on hands before cooking.
#3 won't soap with it personally.
#4 for anyone supplying me with a lard soap, I'm interested in seeing it's properties... and though I won't soap it personally, and though I'm particular about lard, I'm still tremendously interested in your soaps I'll be receiving!! :) I'll also use it to the last bit with my particular regulations, because I waste not!

And
#1 tallow is a good substitute, and I render my own, personally.
#2 lard is creamier, so you'll miss out a little, I think...or so I've read.

And
#1 I'm the only kosher by choice in the fam.
#2 I'm not Jewish
#3 I'm not a member of any religious word so I can't explain other than a boring detailed speech that you'll probably get bored of before I can hit submit reply....oops, and I hit....

Lard is great as it makes a harder bar, and it's also high oleic so it's conditioning and gentle as well. Not to mention it's readily available in most places, and the price is quite reasonable. It's like a luxury oil without the luxury price! :thumbup:

I'm not sure how accurate the soap calculators are when comparing fats, but soap calc has lard and palm oil as almost identical in properties with palm oil slightly harder and creamier, with conditioning almost the same. Cheaper is definitely a plus and I'd prefer to buy lard locally than to bring in palm oil from another country. I know a local pig farmer raising an organic, free-range animal. Not sure his lard would be less expensive, but I'd rather use it than a foreign oil.

Lots of people saying they like lard better, but not why. One person mentioned creamier lather. So, can anyone else say exactly why it is better?

I'm new to soap making and bought a lot of CO and PO before I was more acquainted with the other options, particularly animal fat. I butchered a few deer this year and I've never saved the fat. That won't happen again. Still, I'd like to know what to expect that is different about soaps made from animal fat.

I did a blind test on my family. I sent them 2 bars of soap that looked and smelled identical. One had lard, one had tallow. Then I asked them which one was better. The lard won. Hands down. The lather is creamier and leaves your skin feeling much softer. It just feels much more luxurious.

When you have other animal fats, there is no reason whatsoever that you can't have those in the same recipe with lard if you think lard feels better. Just be sure to include all the correct info in the lye calculator.

I did a blind test on my family. I sent them 2 bars of soap that looked and smelled identical. One had lard, one had tallow. Then I asked them which one was better. The lard won. Hands down. The lather is creamier and leaves your skin feeling much softer. It just feels much more luxurious.

Susie, I LOVE your experiment! And I agree with the results...tallow is great, but I love my lard best of all.

Everyone has to make decisions for their own life. If people choose not to use lard, I completely understand. Lately, unless someone specifically asks for a lard recipe, I have been writing lard/palm/tallow instead of lard. That way they know what to substitute for lard. This gives them options.

Latest posts

Back