So deflating.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 56151

Reaction score
I‘ve been making soap for just over 2 years. I give hundreds of cakes away to family and friends. Some of whom rave about it and won’t use anything else, they offer to buy it but I’m happy to give it to them. Anyway I had some leftover Tilley soap that I used to use. Tilley is an Australian brand that is basically an upmarket mass produced soap. I decided rather than toss it I would put it in my husband’s soap dish. He told me whatever recipe I used for the soap was the best he’d had. When I told him it was bought soap he bent over backwards apologising and saying it wasn’t as nice as mine it just lasted longer and lathered well. The damage was already done 🥲

I wouldn't use Tilley soap if you paid me.
I wouldn’t now either, but before I started making it I found it didn’t make me itchy like cheap supermarket soap. That’s what my husband used, one of those packs of 6 soaps for $2 from Aldi.

Let him use the rest of it up, then it's gone for good. Tell him he uses yours from now on because your not buying commercial soap ever again.Use yours or he stays smelly.
They have all gone now. He likes my soap and is happy to use it. He didn’t know the soap he was using was a commercial one. Had he have known he wouldn’t have said what he did. He’s very supportive of all of my hobbies.

Instead of getting upset, learn from it. Men like lots of lather and bubbles. I had Sorbitol to the soap I make for hubby and it like the extra bubbles. You could try increasing your Hard Oils/Butters just a tad and letting it cure longer.
I’m not upset, I actually laughed, he felt really bad. I just felt a bit deflated. Yes most men don’t appreciate the gentleness of homemade soap. My male neighbour and brother in law won’t use anything other than my soap. I like my recipe and find it has plenty of lather and it lasts me for weeks. All of my soap is cured for a minimum of 6 weeks. I won’t be changing my recipe, thanks for the suggestion though.

I’m not upset, I actually laughed, he felt really bad. I just felt a bit deflated. Yes most men don’t appreciate the gentleness of homemade soap. My male neighbour and brother in law won’t use anything other than my soap. I like my recipe and find it has plenty of lather and it lasts me for weeks. All of my soap is cured for a minimum of 6 weeks. I won’t be changing my recipe, thanks for the suggestion though.
I feel you! My dad is a very delicate flower and would previously only use Dove. I make him a special batch of my regular soap with jojoba added and no fragrance. BUT he's STILL using the Dove because he had bought so many! And my brother doesn't like the idea of use a bar instead of body wash (BIG eye roll!) I've actually found that I get the best feedback from children. They love the fun colours and shapes.

Oh, I feel for you! Mr. E is forced to use my soap, but a couple of weeks ago, he needed a new bar, and I wasn't home. He didn't want to rifle through the house stash without consulting me first (smart man), so he found a store-bought bar in the closet and used that.

I came home and noticed he smelled differently. I said, "oh wow, you smell good! which bar did you use today?" He said "coast." :oops:

If only he knew how big the FO collection has become 😂😂😂, and now he's just given me a reason to go shopping again! mwah ha ha!

Last edited:
Tilley's is still a commercial soap - it's triple milled and not handmade. As such, it will probably still 'feel better' to your average bloke who prefers a more clean rinse off and a less (yes, less!) moisturising feel than our handmade soaps.
@CreativeWeirdo - my son was watching on you tube today a football commentator that digressed into a bar soap rant - saying he thought it only existed in cartoons and he didn't know it was an actual thing until he came across it recently. He thought it was really weird and icky and wondered how many germs were on it from other people using it before him. No - he said - give me proper soap in a pump bottle any day.

Tilley's is still a commercial soap - it's triple milled and not handmade. As such, it will probably still 'feel better' to your average bloke who prefers a more clean rinse off and a less (yes, less!) moisturising feel than our handmade soaps.
@CreativeWeirdo - my son was watching on you tube today a football commentator that digressed into a bar soap rant - saying he thought it only existed in cartoons and he didn't know it was an actual thing until he came across it recently. He thought it was really weird and icky and wondered how many germs were on it from other people using it before him. No - he said - give me proper soap in a pump bottle any day.
No - he said - give me proper soap in a pump bottle any day.

That’s so funny, proper soap indeed. My husband hates liquid soap. I think a lot of people use it because it doesn’t cause scum on their showers. Maybe he cleans the shower in his house.

My kids won't use bar soap either. It drives me batty! 🦇 I'm trying to save the environment for YOU, kids!!! That's what drove me to making liquid soap in the first place, and why I joined SMF, so I'll call that a win.
:winner:

Latest posts

Back