SMF Soap Making Challenge October: Hidden Feather Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A trip to Denver has intruded on my soaping plans. I had hoped that I'd have time to get at least 1 batch done before I left. Oh well. When does judging begin? Maybe I'll have time when I get home.

Did you go to the zombie crawl? I missed it this year... but I love the thought that someone from here might be have been seeking brains. :)

Sonya-m, Thank you, I'll try and slip some soaping during the week after I get home.

stayc1, I love the colors you chose, it may not be what you wanted, but it really is lovely.

Snappyllama, lol, I came into town for a convention and tonight found myself smack dab in the middle of the zombie crawl. I was completely baffled at first, these folks make it an all day thing so there were zombies out as early as 9am when I arrived if not earlier. It was fun though.

Nice, fall colors Misschief! It's very interesting how it drifted sideways. If I didn't know you were attempting a feather, I would have thought it was an amazing hidden leaf. Looks great!

It may not be a feather but it's very beautiful.

I'm sorry people are finding this one tough but I guess it wouldn't be called the SMF Challenge if it wasn't a challenge

I was obviously very lucky with my tutorial soap as that was the first time I've done the technique too

Challenge is right, Misschief! Not only the trace consistency but also the thickness of the hangar. Too skinny and it doesn't drag enough batter, too thick and it drags too much batter down. So far I've made 5 attempts and I'm leaving it at that. Whew!

I'm sorry people are finding this one tough but I guess it wouldn't be called the SMF Challenge if it wasn't a challenge

I was obviously very lucky with my tutorial soap as that was the first time I've done the technique too

Seriously Sonya? The video was your first attempt? WOW! Now I'm even more envious of your amazing skills, lol. :-D

Thank you, Sonya. I agree - it wouldn't be called the SMF Challenge if it wasn't one. I learned a lot and isn't that what a challenge is all about?

I had fun with it, ended up with one flop and two decent attempts. And I now have a hanger to use with other swirling techniques. :lol:

Believe me I know I was lucky with many factors - well behaved FO, a hanger tool I knew was the right thickness from previous failed butterfly swirls and really sturdy dividers, again from previous fails using weaker dividers.

I'm starting to think that I'm cursed during the challenges... I never have these problems when I'm not trying to do something in particular.

Attempt 1: one colorant seized the batter during the pour - could only manage a plop
Attempt 2: FO accelerated - could only manage a plop
Attempt 3: FO reversed trace (yay) then riced (boo) then separated (double boo) then alternated between ricing and separating while I beat the batter into submission. Both the stickblender and I were cursing at the end. I *think* I may have gotten a feather after finally being able to pour. We'll see tomorrow. <fingers crossed>

Sonya I love the challenge in the challenges (say that ten times fast lol).... it forces me to keep trying til I get it right :)

I also had 4 attempts and none of them resulted in the nice even feather inbetween the dividers. My trace was either too thick or too thin or false hahaha. Plenty of soaps for personal use. But I have also practiced natural colorants in this process and this all is a great excercise. Good luck everyone!

I re-read the rules and I think I misunderstood something when I first read it. For clarification for me, are only feathers allowed? I made my soaps using the techniques but to different effect and I don't have the standard feather.

Oh I'm excited! I cut my second attempt and by golly I've got a feather! It's not perfect, it's too close to the bottom, so the tail is very stubby, almost nonexistent, but it's a friggin feather! I'm so proud that I actually did it!

But I'm doing a third attempt tonight, because I know what I need to correct now. Exact same recipe so I'm hoping it comes out better with the adjustments.

And thank goodness for the funnel pitchers! They made it so much easier to get into the narrow center channel. :)

I think my third attempt was a charm!...although my purple morphed to a grey...

Yay! :) This was a tough technique to master, for sure, but I think I understand now how to do it. Let's hope my third attempt is a success and all my tweaks will pay off :)

Back