SMF November 2023 Challenge - Splash Swirl Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sign-up List for SMF November 2023 Challenge: Splash Swirl Technique. To sign up, please copy and paste these instructions and the list below into a new message. Then add your name and the next number for the next person:

1.Ford, how did you know? It was on my list. Spooky around here. Woopi...
2. KiwiMoose. Yay! I've always wanted to try this!
3. The_Emerald_Chicken - Splashing back into soaping after a hiatus
4. Tammyfarms - looks like another fun challenge!
5. not_ally - I’m in, I was curious about this one too.
6. CLMP OK I think I have a plan!
7. Karen L. - I love the look of this design.
8. MomInWA - I’m going to give it a go!
9. Zing -wicky wicky what, Zing is entering? Guess I'm committed now.
10. dmcgee5034 - I got myself together to be able to give it a go! 🌸
11. Mobjack - Splish, splash…splash…splash!
12. Relle - count me in, I've been wanting to try this for a while.
13. Momma Hoot - Well it looks like I'm going to have time to give this a try after all. Woot woot! ;)
14. ScentimentallyYours - Very late! I think I can still squeak time in to get this done.

So even though I have had 3 fail attempts I'm still very happy about how they turned out. I know I was a little up set that another F/O I had accelerated on me and my batter got to thick I turned it into a spoon swirl and it looks and smells wonderful the F/O is Bird of Paradise. My first attempt I didn't follow the directions properly and I only used one accent color red with a grapefruit F/O sent. So I will have lots of Christmas soap presents that I'm happy about!👍 My second attempt I posted earlier in this feed with the green that accelerated on me was lemon lime and ginger F/O. If everything goes according to plan I will try my 4th attempt tomorrow lol😊View attachment 75344
Wow! Both of these look amazing! Is the 'camo' soap the Bird of paradise? Or the lemon lime? I really like it! I have used Bird of paradise before and it's a lovely fragrance ( can't remember if it accelerated or not).

Wow! Both of these look amazing! Is the 'camo' soap the Bird of paradise? Or the lemon lime? I really like it! I have used Bird of paradise before and it's a lovely fragrance ( can't remember if it accelerated or not).
Weird - some glitch had this an an 'unposted' reply this morning, so I posted it. And it was on my home computer which is completely different to my work computer where I wrote the original post!.

So, since we're all being so open about sharing our failures with this challenge 🙄 😆
* I just want to remind y'all that I did try to stir my failed splash together. I figured that it might be better stirred all together since the slurry got so hard and chunky but . . . well, as you can see that didn't really work either 🤷🏼‍♀️ 😆 The dark chunks are the purple clay slurry that was too thick to blend in. The 2 light colored bars are the base color ~ so the funky color of the failed challenge soap is from the green stirred into the base color. Sigh 😕 I guess I all I can do is laugh and learn 🤷🏼‍♀️ 😂

Attachments

• 20231123_180940.jpg
    20231123_180940.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
So, since we're all being so open about sharing our failures with this challenge 🙄 😆
* I just want to remind y'all that I did try to stir my failed splash together. I figured that it might be better stirred all together since the slurry got so hard and chunky but . . . well, as you can see that didn't really work either 🤷🏼‍♀️ 😆 The dark chunks are the purple clay slurry that was too thick to blend in. The 2 light colored bars are the base color ~ so the funky color of the failed challenge soap is from the green stirred into the base color. Sigh 😕 I guess I all I can do is laugh and learn 🤷🏼‍♀️ 😂
And - you've still got it on a metal tray??

@CLMP, I really like how you reversed the direction of the base color vertically on the two halves of your red/cream/navy soap, did you use dividers?
Thank you No I didn't use dividers I just poured it very carefully with the white jug in one hand and the black jug in the other hand and then you pour them together at the same time till there both in a straight line. I learnt this method on YouTube how to pour with out using dividers. I've used this method to make mantra swirls with out using dividers and it's pretty easy to do once you get the hang of pouring with both hands at the same time. @not_ally

And - you've still got it on a metal tray??
That was my tray that supported my molds so I turned out my soap, cut it and snapped the picture ~ then transferred the soap to my cardboard flat for curing. Sorry about the heart attack but that was only temporary! I've had several projects going lately and I happened to look sideways and saw the soap still in the molds from the weekend ~ so I finished what I was working on and unmolded the soap, cut it and took the picture, then set it away to cure ~ then posted the update and went back to my other project 😄
See?! Cardboard flat for curing and my other work in progress 😁

Attachments

• 20231123_214311.jpg
    20231123_214311.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231123_214335.jpg
    20231123_214335.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Well everybody I'm out! I had another fail and this time I don't understand what happened I used my same slow moving recipe and found my very last little bit of fragrance oil that is wonderful for swirling and everything went wrong my soap hardened as soon as I put it in squeeze bottles I soaped at 90°F but when I put it in the squeeze bottles the soap heated up really hot and hardened right away I don't understand that but anyways I had to cut the bottles open to scrape out the soap so I could try to save it and I literally had to smash the soap in to the mold to try and save the soap. So I kinda give up now. That was my fourth try and there is barely any time left sorry everyone I'm out of this challenge for this month.

That was my tray that supported my molds so I turned out my soap, cut it and snapped the picture ~ then transferred the soap to my cardboard flat for curing. Sorry about the heart attack but that was only temporary! I've had several projects going lately and I happened to look sideways and saw the soap still in the molds from the weekend ~ so I finished what I was working on and unmolded the soap, cut it and took the picture, then set it away to cure ~ then posted the update and went back to my other project 😄
See?! Cardboard flat for curing and my other work in progress 😁
Stamp of approval ✅

Attempt #2. :) And I continue to learn....I will be using a thicker hangar tool next time (mine currently is thin plastic) and I will set it up to go lengthwise in the mold (I had it set up in the narrow direction). It does smell nice though (Eucalyptus and Lime essential oils). My daughter says it looks like a summer lightning storm. :) I can go with that.

On to attempt #3!

Attachments

• Eucalyptus Lime 1.jpg
    Eucalyptus Lime 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Eucalyptus Lime 2.jpg
    Eucalyptus Lime 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Those are really pretty colors, @McKherring Farm. And that pig is adorable, @Shelley D!
Thank you 😁 It's a work in progress
In my head, my finished ideas are always more elaborate than the finished piece so we'll see how close I get to that 😆 I at least want little fluffy clouds for the pig to be flying over, maybe a sun up in the corner 😀 plus a few other ideas 😉

Well here is a photo of my 4th attempt I just cut it they look awful. So I won't be gifting these. I'm just glad I was at least able to save the soap for my self to use. I'm hoping it's alright if I still vote for everybody's soaps even though I'm out of the game. I did try my hardest to come up with a entry. Hopefully no one will mind if I still vote!
IMG_20231124_074012.jpg

Latest posts

Back