SMF May Challenge- Interpretation, not Imitation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my lovely "fail" - smells great (sandalwood FO), feels good in the hand, looks purty. But for the challenge I was going for ... equal layers, the right colours (purple is off), a calm feathery effect ... I have a long way to go with my skills but it was sure fun to do.

I had some trouble with crumbling, but the dark grey (and only the dark grey) is perfect - gelled all the way through, waxy and hard, just the way I like my soap. Don't know why the rest is different. Oh well, it's all learning isn't it?

I'm trying another one soon with the same grey bird in mind.

2016-05-20 020.jpg

I am so happy people are on this challenge. I really really love seeing the soaps coming out so far and the variety is excellent. I hope no one (!!!!!) skips putting in an entry because it is cool to see how people take something and put their spin on it.

Thank you to the people who entered so far. I love them all.

Here's my lovely "fail" - smells great (sandalwood FO), feels good in the hand, looks purty. But for the challenge I was going for ... equal layers, the right colours (purple is off), a calm feathery effect ... I have a long way to go with my skills but it was sure fun to try.

I'm trying another one soon with the same grey bird in mind.

Wish you could come up here and show me how to make such a beautiful soap!

Wish you could come up here and show me how to make such a beautiful soap!

You are too kind penelope!! Well done on your entry, you absolutely nailed those colours, and I'm impressed with your red. Especially considering all the trouble you've had lately with colours, you really came through. I'm super impressed.

Dibbles - well done you! - you captured the elegance of that crane beautifully. I can't seem to get those swirls happening.

I am FINALLY making my first try at this month's challenge. I've been so busy at trying to purge the house, garage and shed that I have not made any soap at all. I had everything measured and sitting for at least a week or more. I've been picturing (pardon the pun) in my mind what I want it to look like and thinking of ways to do it. However, everything I think of lends itself to more of a flat design that would make a great rim for a rimmed soap. So, I'll leave that to my first rimmed soap and just dump the colors in the mold and see what happens. It's early in the day. I may have time for a second try with different colors. I haven't looked a the official thread because I don't want to steal anyone's idea.

Wow! I'm so impressed with all the entries so far! I love reading the stories as to how each person saw the photo then created the vision. I still have a thought in my head but haven't had a single moment to soap in the last few weeks. I really hope I can get something done later today so I have an entry. Great work so far everyone!

I love everyone's soaps that have been posted! Unfortunately, there is no way I'll be able to put in an attempt for this month's challenge. Things at home will be insane for the next few weeks. I'll be soaping vicariously through yall. :)

I got one shot at this and pretty sure it's awful. We will see after I cut but not very hopeful I'll have an entry. I wanted to try a Taiwan Swirl for it but I don't have good dividers yet so I had to improvise, plus I wanted time to make it so the batter was too thin. Sigh.

Mine is in the mold - very worried about the embed since I can't find my alcohol spritzer anywhere. Just glad I could finally do the challenge! Mine is very abstract - not sure how its going to convey any emotion though.

No entry for me. i didn't use enough colorants and they're not the right shades. My orange turned yellow and my red is pink. I don't have time for another try. I'll never let cleaning and organizing get in the way of soaping again.

Interesting fails, Steve. And your entry is great!

I panicked tonight thinking I missed the deadline. Pulled several 14 hour days over the last week on a special urgent project. I'm dog tired! I don't have a competitor...but I do have something to photograph just to be a good sport. I can barely think straight right now,let alone choose a bar or stage it. It will have to wait til tomorrow.

Dang, why doesn't Memorial Day weekend fall in the middle of the week?? And to boot, I'll have Friday off. Oh well, at least I can sleep in!

Cool soaps anyhow Steve, very nice. Gosh it's hard trying to get the right colours isn't it? At least we have usable soap when all's said and done.

Don't you love the way people on youtube just throw a bit of powder in and the colour comes out perfectly (but they never reveal what they added)? None of this premixing or measuring caper. I don't know how they do it. And I have no idea how they repeat it.

Back