SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here is my non entry. I thought I was being a superstar by trying to use the full rainbow spectrum in this one. However, I was disappointed that the greens and blues did not come through very much at all, despite making up slightly more of the green knowing that it tends too 'fade'. This mixture was also a little bit thicker for the point than my previous - as you can see from the 'in the pot' shot.
View attachment 57532View attachment 57533View attachment 57534
Wow' beautiful soap ✨🧼💫

Huh? I'd say it's perfectly fine! You apparently poured when the batter was still very thin, so you got a layering that is hard to beat in its fineness (extra points for the effort of putting so many layers in the pot). It heavily reminds me of wood grain texture!

Dividing single colours into multiple pours has been addressed multiple times in this thread. If the organisers had objections against it, I think we would have noticed 🤨. AFAICS, you did nothing against the rules.
I just poured mine in solid colours like I saw in the video. It never occurred to me that I could split the colours for the pour. It's certainly a nice way to get a really thin 'feathered' pour. I'm am going to try that for future soap pours - I really like this style and will use it more often.

This is one I made back in early 2019 and I realise now it IMG_2764.JPG was the OPW but didn't know that's what it was called at the time. The only difference was I cut it across in the other direction to make it more stripey. ( And I piled some leftover colour on the top - too much really coz it looks quite clumpy)

Edit: I see now I didn't really do the technique right. :confused:
I hope you will have another chance to make a batch! That is gorgeous, though.

Huh? I'd say it's perfectly fine! You apparently poured when the batter was still very thin, so you got a layering that is hard to beat in its fineness (extra points for the effort of putting so many layers in the pot). It heavily reminds me of wood grain texture!

Dividing single colours into multiple pours has been addressed multiple times in this thread. If the organisers had objections against it, I think we would have noticed 🤨. AFAICS, you did nothing against the rules.
Actually, SPowers is correct. See the last two quotes below. As you can see, our hostess, @amd DID address that question early in the thread.

I just poured mine in solid colours like I saw in the video. It never occurred to me that I could split the colours for the pour. It's certainly a nice way to get a really thin 'feathered' pour. I'm am going to try that for future soap pours - I really like this style and will use it more often.

Well, you could, but then it wouldn't be the One Pot Wonder technique as described in the rules and clarified by amd in discussion.

SPECIFIC RULES FOR THE May 2021 CHALLENGE

The One Pot Wonder is essentially an in the mold swirl. You will separate your batter into colors, pour each color fully down the side of the main pot in the same location.

It is both a rule for the challenge and the way the OPW technique is done. That is why one of the entry photos requirements is that you have a pic of your soap in the "one pot".

Pouring it into different locations in the pot becomes ITPS, not OPW.

I hope you will have another chance to make a batch! That is gorgeous, though.

Actually, SPowers is correct. See the last two quotes below. As you can see, our hostess, @amd DID address that question early in the thread.

Well, you could, but then it wouldn't be the One Pot Wonder technique as described in the rules and clarified by amd in discussion.
I think I'm still missing something - from what I can see she did pour all the colours in the same place? Which is what that conversation was about. Until you said this I thought maybe the issue was the thinner layers of colours, but I don't remember there being a rule against that?

(I'll admit to being a bit confused anyway because I always understood ITPS to require, well, some kind of swirling action to happen in the pot, but I'm trying hard to stay within the rules as required for the challenge.)

I think I'm still missing something - from what I can see she did pour all the colours in the same place? Which is what that conversation was about. Until you said this I thought maybe the issue was the thinner layers of colours, but I don't remember there being a rule against that?

(I'll admit to being a bit confused anyway because I always understood ITPS to require, well, some kind of swirling action to happen in the pot, but I'm trying hard to stay within the rules as required for the challenge.)
After re-reading the rules for this challenge again, I think this may be what @amd means when she states to pour each colour "fully" down the same place. In other words, pour the whole portion of each colour before changing to the next colour. Can you please clarify @amd ? I didn't really click that was what we had to do, but rather just copied what she did in the video so it was purely by chance that I poured the full amount of each colour, one after the other. I understood it had to poured in the same place, but not that it had to be each colour in its entirety.

After re-reading the rules for this challenge again, I think this may be what @amd means when she states to pour each colour "fully" down the same place.
Ohhhhh... Gotcha. I was reading that as pour each colour [fully in the same place], i.e. no switching around, rather than [pour each colour fully] in the same place...

After re-reading the rules for this challenge again, I think this may be what @amd means when she states to pour each colour "fully" down the same place. In other words, pour the whole portion of each colour before changing to the next colour. Can you please clarify @amd ? I didn't really click that was what we had to do, but rather just copied what she did in the video so it was purely by chance that I poured the full amount of each colour, one after the other. I understood it had to poured in the same place, but not that it had to be each colour in its entirety.
This was exactly my mistake - I divided up my colors a little bit to get the effect I was after, which isn’t in the spirit of the challenge. Some videos on youtube do that as well, but it wasn’t allowed for this challenge. I’m hoping I’ll have time for another attempt as I’m babysitting my granddaughter today (yippee!) but if not I had fun practicing!

I guess that will disqualify a few of the already posted entries then, and I suspect none of mine are permitted under this reading. (I.e. no repeat colours)

Well, I had fun, but I won't be making any more specifically for the challenge, I have some other OPW plans that don't fall within the rules either and I want to go try those out.

Best of luck to the entrants!

My non entry soaps. First up is scented with Fresh Lemon Sugar from RE. Colors are all from Nurture. Lemon Chiffon, Eye Of The Tiger, Lemon Drop, and Celadon. Not enough difference between Lemon Drop and Lemon Chiffon.

Accelerated on me so by the time I got to the orange it just came out in a plop.

Next up is scented with Smell The Rainbow from Nurture. It slipped my mind that this one is a ricer! Ughhhh!!! I did struggle between this one and Bomb Pop as my entry. This one also got really thick by the time it was the red batters turn to go in the mold, so again, another plop! And apparently when I turn my containers to scrape them I dribble off center lol. I need to pay closer attention but when it started ricing all bets were off!

This was fun! My quest to nail this technique continues but I will probably not try it again too soon as I've had at least 8 tries at it in recent months.
0521210901_HDR.jpg
0522211629~2.jpg
0521210927.jpg
0522211628~2.jpg

I didn't realize we could pour the colors several times either, that would definitely help with the thin feathered lines. Did we get clarification on this? I looked through the thread and didn't see if we did, if it's there I missed it. I understood "pour each color fully" meant all of each color at once. I'm really curious now! 🙂

A reminder: PLEASE do not post comments on the ENTRY thread. Comments about entries should be posted to this thread. Thank you.

I am LOVING these non-entries. You guys are making some gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous soaps:

View attachment 57526

I LOVE this soap! I don’t think it looks ridged IRL, but I can’t seem to get a better photo.

View attachment 57528
I can see why you love that second one; it's lovely.

Well done.
@violets2217, this is SO so so fabulous! As is your entry. I adore them both!
@mommycarlson , Both of these are beyond gorgeous. It certainly looks like you have this technique well in hand! I can see that choosing which one of your soaps to enter had to have been a difficult choice.

Now, as to my non-entry, I have decided my first attempt won't be entered. So I have to try again. Maybe tomorrow. My hand is very sore today and I barely slept last night, so doubt I can manage more than a bit of set-up; maybe I'll prep the colors. The mold is already prepped, so the hand pain from doing that is out of the way.

My non entry soaps. First up is scented with Fresh Lemon Sugar from RE. Colors are all from Nurture. Lemon Chiffon, Eye Of The Tiger, Lemon Drop, and Celadon. Not enough difference between Lemon Drop and Lemon Chiffon.

Accelerated on me so by the time I got to the orange it just came out in a plop.

Next up is scented with Smell The Rainbow from Nurture. It slipped my mind that this one is a ricer! Ughhhh!!! I did struggle between this one and Bomb Pop as my entry. This one also got really thick by the time it was the red batters turn to go in the mold, so again, another plop! And apparently when I turn my containers to scrape them I dribble off center lol. I need to pay closer attention but when it started ricing all bets were off!

This was fun! My quest to nail this technique continues but I will probably not try it again too soon as I've had at least 8 tries at it in recent months. View attachment 57571View attachment 57572View attachment 57573View attachment 57574
Such Pretty Bright Colors' 💫👍🏼

A reminder: PLEASE do not post comments on the ENTRY thread. Comments about entries should be posted to this thread. Thank you.

I am LOVING these non-entries. You guys are making some gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous soaps:

I can see why you love that second one; it's lovely.

Well done.

@violets2217, this is SO so so fabulous! As is your entry. I adore them both!

@mommycarlson , Both of these are beyond gorgeous. It certainly looks like you have this technique well in hand! I can see that choosing which one of your soaps to enter had to have been a difficult choice.

Now, as to my non-entry, I have decided my first attempt won't be entered. So I have to try again. Maybe tomorrow. My hand is very sore today and I barely slept last night, so doubt I can manage more than a bit of set-up; maybe I'll prep the colors. The mold is already prepped, so the hand pain from doing that is out of the way.
Thank you Earlene!! I hope you are able to get your hand to cooperate and get a soap poured 🙂

I had so much fun making soaps for the challenge that I decided to make today’s beer soap as a modified OPW. I did what I could to produce unevenly accelerating batter portions using a non-swirl recipe, colloidal oats, different color cocoa powders and a mildly accelerating FO. I had thick and thin, fast and slow, and lumps and bumps going into the mold. I even poured some batter from the opposite side of the mold 😂. I’m keeping my fingers crossed!

@earlene I hope the hand starts feeling near 100% soon. Soap making is not hand friendly. When I was dealing with a trigger finger in my non-dominant hand this past winter, it would get really sore when I made soap.

Back