SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took some coloured pencils with the approximate colours how I wanted my batters, arranged them in the order that I liked most (on the table), and flipped them upside down. Scribbling the order for the record (you don't want to think/make decisions/reconstruct while making soap). Worked reasonably well, except that some colourants didn't quite behave like they should.

IKR? I made mine on the 6th May.
Entry thread? My brain is broken over what order to put my colors in the pot!! Lol. Anyone else struggle with this?? I write it down and have still done it backwards. 😱
It’s just reverse order. Whatever you want on top goes on the bottom in the pot.

My day before prep wasn't enough. I made an error in measuring my oils and had to quadruple my recipe. That meant I had to line another bigger mold. Folding freezer paper with a very stiff hand and swollen thumb that is not functioning as normal is a very cumbersome prospect! So I did that last night rather than making the soap. My hand was so exhausted an in so much pain, that I didn't even prepare my colorants.

This morning I have therapy, then this afternoon I am going with my eldest son to his prosthetist appointment. His new leg is ready for fitting, and what all is entailed when a new prosthetic leg is ready. It all can take some time. So I may work on the soap tonight, or I may not. It all depends on how I feel by evening.

It did occur to me this morning that I should probably divide the melted oils into smaller batches (like master batching) instead of making a larger batch. That way if I don't like the first one, I could still do another before the entry thread closes. So I think I will do that next: divide the oils into smaller portions and re-calculate the lye solution needed for each portion. Then maybe I'll have time to start my colorants preparation in some of the batch oils. I think I can get that done before my therapy session.

My day before prep wasn't enough. I made an error in measuring my oils and had to quadruple my recipe. That meant I had to line another bigger mold. Folding freezer paper with a very stiff hand and swollen thumb that is not functioning as normal is a very cumbersome prospect! So I did that last night rather than making the soap. My hand was so exhausted an in so much pain, that I didn't even prepare my colorants.

This morning I have therapy, then this afternoon I am going with my eldest son to his prosthetist appointment. His new leg is ready for fitting, and what all is entailed when a new prosthetic leg is ready. It all can take some time. So I may work on the soap tonight, or I may not. It all depends on how I feel by evening.

It did occur to me this morning that I should probably divide the melted oils into smaller batches (like master batching) instead of making a larger batch. That way if I don't like the first one, I could still do another before the entry thread closes. So I think I will do that next: divide the oils into smaller portions and re-calculate the lye solution needed for each portion. Then maybe I'll have time to start my colorants preparation in some of the batch oils. I think I can get that done before my therapy session.
Wow, you have had a tough time. Good luck on even attempting this. I only made a 16 ounce batch. I have a mini tall & skinny mold that is great for trials.

I'm aware of that lol. But for some reason it's just so very difficult for me to reverse the order. My brain just struggles
I totally get this! I was a drafter for 14 years and view rotations in my head did not come naturally (my husband is a drafter and it's as easy as breathing to him). What I would do is draw out the way you want the colors to be on your soap, the turn the page upside down and put the colors in the pot in the order shown on the upside down drawing starting at the bottom. Then when you pour, it should match your drawing - the last color in the pot (at the top of the upside down drawing) will go in first matching the bottom of the right-side-up drawing.

I totally get this! I was a drafter for 14 years and view rotations in my head did not come naturally (my husband is a drafter and it's as easy as breathing to him). What I would do is draw out the way you want the colors to be on your soap, the turn the page upside down and put the colors in the pot in the order shown on the upside down drawing starting at the bottom. Then when you pour, it should match your drawing - the last color in the pot (at the top of the upside down drawing) will go in first matching the bottom of the right-side-up drawing.
Yes as linne said that's a great idea. I do write it down and have still layered it in wrong. I'm one of those people if I'm reading a map while hubs is driving, I have to turn the map to know which way we're going. (for those who know what a paper map is) lol

The last batch of OPW I made I took pieces of tape and wrote a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on each. I then put the numbered tape on the containers I was using to disperse my colorants, telling me in which order to pour into the pouring container. This gave me time to work it out before I even incorporated my lye solution and fats.

When it came time to pour each colored batter into the big pouring container, all I had to do was grab the #1, then #2, then #3, then #4, and #5 pouring pitchers.

I made my soap today. That did not go according to plan. 🤪 Like others, I wasn't pouring from a large enough spout, and I made a huge mess. There was soap everywhere. To top it off, at least one color was at a thicker trace than it should have been. While I think what I made will come out pretty, I don't think it's going to win any beauty competitions. I'm really happy I had the opportunity to join the challenge and made the time to make an entry. Super excited about the cut!

Yes as linne said that's a great idea. I do write it down and have still layered it in wrong. I'm one of those people if I'm reading a map while hubs is driving, I have to turn the map to know which way we're going. (for those who know what a paper map is) lol
Well, it’s been a few years, lol!

separating the oils like you mentioned sounds like it would be a good idea & easier for you. 🧼💫🙌🏼

The last batch of OPW I made I took pieces of tape and wrote a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on each. I then put the numbered tape on the containers I was using to disperse my colorants, telling me in which order to pour into the pouring container. This gave me time to work it out before I even incorporated my lye solution and fats.

When it came time to pour each colored batter into the big pouring container, all I had to do was grab the #1, then #2, then #3, then #4, and #5 pouring pitchers.
great idea 🙌🏼💫

Whoosh! So much for "I'll participate in this challenge because it looks easy." My attempt is in the mold, but getting it there was a little hectic. I hope my colors aren't too similar. At least I remembered the fragrance and a picture of the pot.
I'm with you. I just cut my 2nd attempt and it's still not a success. I might try once more. But ATM I'm getting really sick of soap :rolleyes: third time's charm right. ? At least I'm gaining experience.

Attempt #3 today. I got the order right, got the right trace, remembered the photo, but I poured my colors into the side and should have poured them down the spout (for the effect I was after). So then I had to pour from the side of the jug with no spout, which went about as you might expect. Seems like I enjoy making things difficult.

Latest posts

Back