SMF June 2023 Challenge: Layers!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SIGN-UP LIST
Please copy and paste the list below into a new post. Then add your name along with the next appropriate number:

1. Misschief - Just the push I need
2. RhondaJ - getting in early this month!
3. Mx5inpenn - hope to have multiple attempts this go round
4. dmcgee5034 - perfect timing for a soap I need to make!
5. catscankim - love layers
6. CLMP - I think I have a idea hopefully I can get creative with this one
7. McKherring Farm
8. janesathome - I will get in line for this challenge 😁
9. Tammyfarms - I decided last month that I was going to enter all challenges no matter how intimidating. 😬
10. Terri E - love doing layers🥰
11. basti - coincidentally made a challenge appropriate soap last night 🤭
12. The Phoenix - Oh, all the options!
13. Vicki C - okay… this month
14. Klaw2 - I would love to enter 😳

@klaw2 a few more people had signed up previously, so I've updated the list to include all of them, plus you. Welcome to the Challenge! :)

SIGN-UP LIST
Please copy and paste the list below into a new post. Then add your name along with the next appropriate number:

7. McKherring Farm
9. Tammyfarms - I decided last month that I was going to enter all challenges no matter how intimidating. 😬
13. Vicki C - okay… this month I am going to get my entry done!
14. dibbles - I want to do a thing. The thing has layers so why not!
15. sweethavenarts
16. Ford - gonna join the fun...
17. Mobjack
18. Georgeandstella - 5 houseguests gone now, so I’m in :)
19. Klaw2 - I would love to enter 😳

Aaargh, too soon to celebrate, still recovering. They were from out of the country, so lots of “how does this work” and “why doesn’t this work” and “no we don’t eat corn on the cob because that is food for pigs” 😂
Oh my goodness! My husband says this about corn all the time ~ he's Romanian! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Here is an example of a "lackadaisical layers" soap. I made this last night around 7pm, and cut it today around 11am. It could have been just a tad firmer, but I needed to do this during lunch break, so here we are.

The bottom layer was 400g of oils mixed with a supposedly well-behaved fragrance, CC's Violet Bouquet. You can see a small amount of ricing in the bottom layer that wasn't fully blended out. I would have blended more, but I wanted the batter to be fluid enough to level out after pouring. It was still fluid, so the bottom pour is fairly flat on top. I let it set up while I made the second layer.

The top layer was 600g of oils, about ⅔ yellow and ⅓ purple. The FO riced again, and as I started to blend it out, it got a bit thicker than I wanted for an ITPS. That's when I made the error of doing two circles around the pot to mix the colors. My general rule for ITPS is one circle with the spatula, and then pour. You can see that the extra circling muddied the colors a bit. Oh well. You can also see the remaining light dots from the ricing that didn't get all the way blended out. Oh well again. My story is going to be, "I totally planned that." ;)

I used a spatula to break the fall of the ITPS pour on top of the solid pour, but it wasn't really necessary - it was pretty set up already. I hadn't planned to swirl the top, but I can't seem to leave my soap tops alone. 😁 All in all, it was an easy, low-stress soap. and I'm happy with the results. I hope this encourages you to have fun with your layers! No stress, just enjoy!

IMG_2261.jpg

Last edited:
The rest of SMF would no doubt find your soap quite beautiful, but I totally get the disappointment when the soap design doesn't match the vision in your head.
Thank you, but I surely do still have a few things to learn. I made another soap yesterday and the colors are perfect, but the accelerating FO I used decided not to accelerate. What the heck?!?!? When did that ever happen to anyone?!?!? I will make a third soap because I’m not a quitter no matter how much soap I already have in the house 🤣

Now that I cut last weekends attempt that will be my entry, I can post my first try. GMS as always.
The bottom layer is a hanger swirl of 3 greens - Kermit green, radioactive neon, and Kermit green with a smidge of black oxide. I poured the 3 colors in rows then hanger swirled it.
The middle layer I poured too early so it didn’t turn into a straight layer, but it is kinda neat looking with what it did to the green layer below it.
The top layer is a OPW of 3 pinks - rose pearl, tickled pink neon, and rose pearl with a smidge of pewter gray in it. I attempted to do a line pour but it started to get pretty thick, so my black oxide drop swirl turned flat instead of dropping in. Next time if my batter is too thick to pull off the drop, I might make a little groove to pour into, and then carefully spoon over it for the seeds - wouldn’t be a drop swirl, but it might look better.
The FO is BB watermelon sugar. 🌸
IMG_1489.jpeg

SIGN-UP LIST

7. McKherring Farm
15. sweethavenarts
17. Mobjack
20. peachymoon - It's been a really long time since I've made soap so I wanna motivate myself to get back in the game!

SIGN-UP LIST

7. McKherring Farm
15. sweethavenarts
17. Mobjack
20. peachymoon - It's been a really long time since I've made soap so I wanna motivate myself to get back in the game!
21.Is it too late to sign up? I'm doing this today - I have an idea. Fingers crossed it works out.

Latest posts

Back