SMF June 2023 Challenge: Layers!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water-lye ratio and lye concentration are the same thing, expressed two different ways. I use lye concentration bc it is one number with no colon, so it is easier for me to see and read and write it down accurately.

Either of those settings will give you good consistent results no matter what batch size you use. You don’t have to fuss around with “water discounts” - simply raise or lower the lye concentration or water:lye ratio.

Water as percent of oils can give you inconsistent results when you change batch sizes. It usually results in waaay too much water for my liking, which in turn, creates a lot of soda ash and glycerine rivers. If you want to reduce water with this setting, you must do your own math outside of the soap calculator. As someone who seems to be dyslexic with numbers (but not letters), the less math I have to do, the better everything will turn out.

Bottom line, I recommend using the setting that works best for you, and sticking with it so it becomes second nature and one less thing to fuss about while you are soaping. 😊
Thanks So much that's good news I've been only using consentration and my soap usually turn out pretty good.

SIGN-UP LIST
Please copy and paste the list below into a new post. Then add your name along with the next appropriate number:

1. Misschief - Just the push I need
2. RhondaJ - getting in early this month!
3. Mx5inpenn - hope to have multiple attempts this go round
4. dmcgee5034 - perfect timing for a soap I need to make!
5. catscankim - love layers
6. CLMP - I think I have a idea hopefully I can get creative with this one
7. McKherring Farm
8. janesathome - I will get in line for this challenge 😁
9. Tammyfarms - I decided last month that I was going to enter all challenges no matter how intimidating. 😬
10. Terri E - love doing layers🥰
11. basti - coincidentally made a challenge appropriate soap last night 🤭
12. The Phoenix - Oh, all the options!
13. Vicki C - okay… this month I am going to get my entry done!
14. dibbles - I want to do a thing. The thing has layers so why not!
15. sweethavenarts
16. Ford - gonna join the fun...

SIGN-UP LIST
Please copy and paste the list below into a new post. Then add your name along with the next appropriate number:

7. McKherring Farm
9. Tammyfarms - I decided last month that I was going to enter all challenges no matter how intimidating. 😬
15. sweethavenarts
17. Mobjack

I made an attempt at a challenge soap today. It was sooo hard to decide on a design! After contemplating designs all week, I finally settled on trying to replicate a fairly simple design element I made once or twice more than two years ago. Well, it looks simple, but it all depends on the trace, so we shall see.
I’m close, but had color morphing that I’m not happy with 🙁.

Thanks I have been wondering about it lately cause I've only used consentration level I've never tried the other ones.
After you plug your usual recipe into a calculator, in addition to the lye vince t ratio setting you input, it will tell you what your water:lye ratio is. A 1.8:1 water:lye is 35% concentration.
I made an attempt at a challenge soap today. It was sooo hard to decide on a design! After contemplating designs all week, I finally settled on trying to replicate a fairly simple design element I made once or twice more than two years ago. Well, it looks simple, but it all depends on the trace, so we shall see.
I ran into a trace problem whilst trying to recreate a soap I made a while ago. To quote Boss Ross, “There are no mistakes. Only happy accidents.”

7. McKherring Farm
15. sweethavenarts
17. Mobjack
18. Georgeandstella - 5 houseguests gone now, so I’m in :)

@Georgeandstella FIVE houseguests?

Here is your hospitality trophy 🏆 and a combat medal 🎖️
Aaargh, too soon to celebrate, still recovering. They were from out of the country, so lots of “how does this work” and “why doesn’t this work” and “no we don’t eat corn on the cob because that is food for pigs” 😂

Back