SMF June 2022 Un-Challenge - Cocoa Powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are others here who post links to their latest YT videos so there must be some way that it can be done without violating rules.

There are others here who post links to their latest YT videos so there must be some way that it can be done without violating rules.
They may pay to be a different type of supporter. That's an option, but since I don't make money off videos or blogs or resources I have, there's no way I could pay to do that.

I made these woodgrain soaps. I used 2 intensities of cocoa powder, 1/4 & 1/2 teaspoons, red clay, activated charcoal & plain batter. These are scented with essential oils: bergamot, orange 5X, lemongrass & cedarwood.

Attachments

• DCCC2AE5-EDE6-4A7D-86D7-AA390C1B7269.jpeg
    DCCC2AE5-EDE6-4A7D-86D7-AA390C1B7269.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2411A7A8-642E-4901-A4B1-82B88D5B5593.jpeg
    2411A7A8-642E-4901-A4B1-82B88D5B5593.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 0
6AE33406-5C06-4547-8217-05D183E01A96.jpeg

99FFAD7F-49DE-4A4A-813F-FBE8BF5B6F78.jpeg

In an earlier life I was married to a musician who owned a lot of high-endish guitars. Actually, I think they were half mine, but I opted to keep my retirement fund in lieu of arguing about instrument values. So, along comes another friend asking me to make a special order batch. He also owns a lot of guitars. I’ve been late getting to it since I told him I could have it to him by the end of July. Wood grain, cocoa and the special order request to keep it dark, made me think of some of the beautiful woods I’ve seen in guitars. I hope he loves these soaps.

The first one combines two cocoa powders (Dutch process and Black from King Arthur Flour), along with red and yellow oxides and some AC. The second one is mostly colored with the two cocoa powders. I used hydrated chrome green oxide for the greenish layers and a bit of AC in one of the dark cocoa layers. The cocoa by itself seems to have a bit of a maroon/burgundy tint. I used beer as the split liquid for both batches. The first batch is a lard/tallow base and was poured as one layer in a slab mold. The second batch is palm-based and was poured in a divided mold as four sections and then swirled a bit in an attempt to create knots. I split it on the horizontal plane. The light bar is from the top where I ran our of darker batter. The soap overheated and needs planing, but it’s too early to do much cleanup of either of the batches.

ETA: I used a four spot ITP pour for the first soap, following the method of @WhittanyWho in her wood grain video on YT, here. I like the results and it’s easier than layering soap a pitcher.

Last edited:
Thank you. 😍
Help me out please. Are we in other soap circles together? I don't know all the usernames here, but maybe I follow you already too.

Thank you. 😍
Help me out please. Are we in other soap circles together? I don't know all the usernames here, but maybe I follow you already too.
Hi Whittany, I am Linda Halpern and we have definitely communicated at least on Saponification Nation. Perhaps in other groups? I moderate Hot Process Soapmaking, and Natural Cosmetic Formulating. Do you belong to those as well?

1. peachymoon - I've been wanting to work with cocoa! 😋
2. glendam - chocolate soap is in my to-do list, this is perfect!
3. Mx6inpenn - I haven't used natural colorants since I first started.
4. TheGecko - I need to make another batch of my Chocolate Espresso (cocoa in the batter, cocoa line, cocoa dusting)
5. earlene - I can make soap again at last (sutures removed, incision healed & I can wear gloves again)
6. Nanna - I can finally do a challenge and my next one was going to be with a cocoa line😃👍
7. Kimimarie84 - looking forward to this!
8. Catscankim - ok, I'm in
9. linne1gi - I will get my challenge in time this month, I promise.
10. LisaBoBisa - two ideas for this one already!
11. Dooleykins - I need to make another batch of my Log Cabin soap, as well as experiment with a mocha soap. Great opportunity for it!
12. Mobjack Bay - feeling inspired by the great cocoa soaps being posted.
13. Zing desperately trying to find this post and not look at any other photos along the way!

Hi Whittany, I am Linda Halpern and we have definitely communicated at least on Saponification Nation. Perhaps in other groups? I moderate Hot Process Soapmaking, and Natural Cosmetic Formulating. Do you belong to those as well?
Omg, yes, Linda! I know exactly who you are. We're definitely in several soap circles together. I'm a giant fan of yours. 🤩

Sorry to interrupt this reunion ;) .
Now that I've got my entry poured and gellin' , I can now go back through and catch up on all this. I've been trying to avoid pics.

I use cocoa powder a lot. Lazy soaper that I am, I usually just dump it into the batter. But today I dispersed it in oil first and will be doing that from now on! There were no clumps and I think it'll come out a smoother color.

Sorry to interrupt this reunion ;) .
Now that I've got my entry poured and gellin' , I can now go back through and catch up on all this. I've been trying to avoid pics.

I use cocoa powder a lot. Lazy soaper that I am, I usually just dump it into the batter. But today I dispersed it in oil first and will be doing that from now on! There were no clumps and I think it'll come out a smoother color.
I’m always surprised when I see soapers just dump their colors in soap batter. It’s always smoother and better distributed when premixed.

I’m always surprised when I see soapers just dump their colors in soap batter. It’s always smoother and better distributed when premixed.
Like I said, lazy soaper here. I mostly dump with micas. But if I use oxides and titanium dioxide I use a cutting board and mix a spoonful of oil and the colorant using a palette knife and find it super effective. I'm forgetting which famous YouTuber uses this technique.

Like I said, lazy soaper here. I mostly dump with micas. But if I use oxides and titanium dioxide I use a cutting board and mix a spoonful of oil and the colorant using a palette knife and find it super effective. I'm forgetting which famous YouTuber uses this technique.
I'm pretty sure Teri of Tree Marie was the first - at least on YouTube. Several others use that method and have credited her with the technique. Can't wait to see what you made with your dispersed cocoa powder!

Teri at TreeMarie Soapworks uses that technique. I use the squeeze bottle technique for my TD.

I just happened to use cocoa powder in this soap I made the other day.
The colors come from uncolored soap batter, cocoa powder, cocoa powder + activated charcoal, cocoa powder + rose kaolin clay, and yellow Brazilian clay. This soap is scented with a blend of eucalyptus, spearmint, and tea tree oil.
Your bevelling is something else Whitney. Really makes the soap shine.

Your bevelling is something else Whitney. Really makes the soap shine.
Thank you. I used my router from Wild Plantanica. It's one of my favorite soaping tools.
(I get no commission, and I am not affiliated in any way with Wild Plantanica. I just really love their router, and want to give credit where credit is due.)

Thank you. I used my router from Wild Plantanica. It's one of my favorite soaping tools.
(I get no commission, and I am not affiliated in any way with Wild Plantanica. I just really love their router, and want to give credit where credit is due.)
I just finally ordered one of those over the weekend!

I combined the unchallenge with a challenge. This is colored using cocoa powder and activated charcoal, scented with Asian sandalwood. The 2nd picture is my favorite bar from the batch and the last is my inspiration. I love darker woods.

Attachments

• PSX_20220621_124233.jpg
    PSX_20220621_124233.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PSX_20220621_122900.jpg
    PSX_20220621_122900.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo-1546484396-fb3fc6f95f98.jpeg
    photo-1546484396-fb3fc6f95f98.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back