SMF June 2020 Un-Challenge - Half & Half

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the SMF June 2020 Un-Challenge – HALF & HALF

Welcome to the SMF June 2020 Un-Challenge. The theme this month is Half & Half. For this un-challenge you will create soaps that have two colors – exactly half of your batch for each color. You can use any colorant you choose, and using uncolored batter or a discoloring EO/FO are acceptable choices. You can also enhance the theme by using two equal parts of different liquids, oils, additives, etc. in your batch. You can use any technique(s) or mold, and any method of soap making you choose. When you post your photo, please tell us if you used any half & half elements other than color - I think it would be quite interesting.

Whatever you choose to make must be made after June 1, 2020.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyone can participate in this Un-challenge, regardless of length of membership or number of posts. You can post pictures of as many creations as you would like. If you only have time for one – show us. If you have time to do 20 – show us! There will not be a separate entry thread and there will not be a vote, so post pictures of your creations here. Photos of failures are just as welcome as photos of successes – experiments are always interesting. If you learned something, please share. And, as always, please keep comments kind.

I'm going to start a sign up list, mainly to keep this thread active. You can participate without signing up. If you want to add your name to the list, copy and paste, then add your name.

1. dibbles - I have a couple of half&half-baked ideas!

2. szaza - I already have something in mind😉

3. amd - I "half" to do this [sorry!]
4. Jerseygirl- Hmmmmmm....it will come to me... :D
5. AliOop- As a Gemini, I heartily approve of this challenge. :) (I am not actually into horoscopes at all but definitely fit the alleged Gemini profile of being half this, half that).

Last edited:
5. AliOop- As a Gemini, I heartily approve of this challenge. :) (I am not actually into horoscopes at all but definitely fit the alleged Gemini profile of being half this, half that).
6. Misschief - I already do a couple of half and half soaps so I'll have to think about changing it up somehow.

6. Misschief - I already do a couple of half and half soaps so I'll have to think about changing it up somehow.
7. I had half-decided not to do the June challenge, but I have an idea that is not half-baked, so I guess I half to do it. (Sorry Dibbles and amd...)

7. I had half-decided not to do the June challenge, but I have an idea that is not half-baked, so I guess I half to do it. (Sorry Dibbles and amd...)
8. Anstarx-I didn't make it in time for the last challenge but I figured I should be able to this one! I have some ideas already...

Oops forgot to add my name.

Last edited:
EDITING TO ADD NAMES TO 7 AND 8:

7. MOBJACK BAY - I had half-decided not to do the June challenge, but I have an idea that is not half-baked, so I guess I half to do it. (Sorry Dibbles and amd...)
8. ANSTARX - I didn't make it in time for the last challenge but I figured I should be able to this one! I have some ideas already...

7. MOBJACK BAY - I had half-decided not to do the June challenge, but I have an idea that is not half-baked, so I guess I half to do it. (Sorry Dibbles and amd...)
8. ANSTARX - I didn't make it in time for the last challenge but I figured I should be able to this one! I have some ideas already...
9. MarnieSoapien - I have half a mind to give this a go!

10. Artemis - maybe I can motivate myself!

10. Artemis - maybe I can motivate myself! a
11. msunnerstood - Im All In!

Welcome to the SMF June 2020 Un-Challenge – HALF & HALF

Welcome to the SMF June 2020 Un-Challenge. The theme this month is Half & Half. For this un-challenge you will create soaps that have two colors – exactly half of your batch for each color. You can use any colorant you choose, and using uncolored batter or a discoloring EO/FO are acceptable choices. You can also enhance the theme by using two equal parts of different liquids, oils, additives, etc. in your batch. You can use any technique(s) or mold, and any method of soap making you choose. When you post your photo, please tell us if you used any half & half elements other than color - I think it would be quite interesting.

Whatever you choose to make must be made after June 1, 2020.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyone can participate in this Un-challenge, regardless of length of membership or number of posts. You can post pictures of as many creations as you would like. If you only have time for one – show us. If you have time to do 20 – show us! There will not be a separate entry thread and there will not be a vote, so post pictures of your creations here. Photos of failures are just as welcome as photos of successes – experiments are always interesting. If you learned something, please share. And, as always, please keep comments kind.
I’m in gonna try

12. KimR-First challenge, I'll give it a go. Be half nice!

@ShySoaper whenever you want to join a challenge on this forum, you will copy the sign-up list from the last person who signed up before you. Then paste it into a new post and add your name at the bottom. :) Like this:

12. ShySoaper - I’m in gonna try

13. ShySoaper - I’m in gonna try
14. bookreader451 - I am always up for an unchallenge.

I just made and cut my first attempt at a half&half soap. Last year I made a scrubby bar for my mom's 'garden feet' (and my dad's garage hands, but he uses it less). One half had AC& coffee grounds, the other half had sea salt and lime peel. The salt part lasted way longer than the AC part, which gave me the idea to swirl more to create a relief when the soap is used (the AC shrinking faster and becoming sort of a shadow to the lime/salt part). I think I overswirled a bit.. 😛
IMG_20200605_141127.jpg
The scent is an EO blend called 'up in smoke (redux)' from EO calc. There's geranium at 8% and it's dominating the blend. Somehow this scent reminds me of my mom☺️

Here's the soap I made last year, that I used as inspiration (and that I didn't overswirl)
IMG_20190527_075523.jpg

@ShySoaper whenever you want to join a challenge on this forum, you will copy the sign-up list from the last person who signed up before you. Then paste it into a new post and add your name at the bottom. :) Like this:

12. ShySoaper - I’m in gonna try
Thank you AliOop will do. Never thought about it that way myself because I’m not into the horoscope thing I’m a Gemini myself otherwise known as the tribe of Levi so I was told by my husband.

13. ShySoaper - I’m in gonna try
14. bookreader451 - I am always up for an unchallenge.
15. Adobehead- I just happen to have made some yesterday that fits this description. Since it is still uncut, I don't yet know if it's fit to show anyone.

Back