SMF June 2020 Un-Challenge - Half & Half

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, shame on me... had my Half'n'Half all planned out, and at the last minute, added a new-to-me sample of Aztec's Lemongrass FO to a well-behaved EO blend that I often use. Batter went from very light trace to thick pudding in about 60 seconds. My now-irrelevant grand plan was immediately adjusted to a simple two-layer plan with some VERY chunky swirls on top. 😅

I feel your pain I had two batches accelerate like crazy last weekend.

It was a bit early to try to clean up this soap, but I found the most perfect flowering tree branch to go with it, so I had to get a shot. I’ll wait to brush off the impression mat side and trim the edges until after it firms up a bit more. The colorants are AC and a mix of white mica and a little TD.

View attachment 46734
These are very elegant!

Jelena of Soap Techniques made a beautiful soap, and it has been on my list to try for a long time. I didn't exactly nail it, but it's still cute and I learned some things for the next time. I made the soap for the embeds first. It was too soft to unmold and cut the embeds, so the second batch was made a couple of days later. Even then, the soap was too soft to cut the center out of the round embeds, which is one of the things I really like about Jelena's soap. The half and half elements are: half green, half white for the colors/half aloe, half water for the lye solution/half NS Sambucus, half NG Australian Bamboo Grass for the fragrance. What I would do differently: Use a larger slab mold; I used my 6x6. Suck it up and use squeeze bottles to pour the lines. This design would really benefit from a third color, and also a darker color for more contrast. Be patient...wait for the soap to be ready to cut the embeds. My soap:
half and half.jpg

The inspiration soap by Jelena:
embedded circles.JPG

1. dibbles - I have a couple of half&half-baked ideas!
2. szaza - I already have something in mind😉
3. amd - I "half" to do this [sorry!]
4. Jerseygirl- Hmmmmmm....it will come to me... :D
5. AliOop- As a Gemini, I heartily approve of this challenge. :) (I am not actually into horoscopes at all but definitely fit the alleged Gemini profile of being half this, half that).
6. Misschief - I already do a couple of half and half soaps so I'll have to think about changing it up somehow.
7. MOBJACK BAY - I had half-decided not to do the June challenge, but I have an idea that is not half-baked, so I guess I half to do it. (Sorry Dibbles and amd...)
8. ANSTARX - I didn't make it in time for the last challenge but I figured I should be able to this one! I have some ideas already...
9. MarnieSoapien - I have half a mind to give this a go!
10. Artemis - maybe I can motivate myself! a
11. msunnerstood - Im All In!
12. KimR-First challenge, I'll give it a go. Be half nice!
13. ShySoaper - I’m in gonna try
14. bookreader451 - I am always up for an unchallenge.
15. Adobehead- I just happen to have made some yesterday that fits this description. Since it is still uncut, I don't yet know if it's fit to show anyone.
16. shermluge- Going for it!! ohhh Great Jerseygirls in.. I'm in trouble.

I’ve been totally bogged down at work this week and it’s nice to be back looking at soap. Thank you everyone for the nice comments about my soap. I am proud of that one.

@dibbles I love your soap. What a great idea.

@ShySoaper the mat is made by SugarVeil. They’re a little pricey, but the quality is very good. I didn’t realize what a find it was last summer when I bought my first one from the close out bin at a Michael’s for $5!

I’ve been totally bogged down at work this week and it’s nice to be back looking at soap. Thank you everyone for the nice comments about my soap. I am proud of that one.

@dibbles I love your soap. What a great idea.

@ShySoaper the mat is made by SugarVeil. They’re a little pricey, but the quality is very good. I didn’t realize what a find it was last summer when I bought my first one from the close out bin at a Michael’s for $5!
Mobjack it is such a winner I ordered a mold with a lace pattern one is almost 4o bucks they are pricey but is worth it.

Go easy, This was a complete experiment (first attempt at that). I designed a pull template and 3d printed it. Just to see If anything artistic might come from it. The template laid at the bottom of the loaf mold and after I laid even layers of equal colors I did a pull straight up. I then decided to swipe a quick pass with a hanger. The design of the pull template is in the first photo. I was hoping to create a bunch of waves. The soap recipe is a Chocolate milk bar. Made with whole milk with Lye and then Coco for the darker color. Half with the coco, half without.

pull-template.png
20200611_112924.jpg

Enjoy

Sherm

Well, now that I know I can swirl it, my attempt is in the mold, will cut tonight. I stuck to the original idea I had of two very solid layers, but added a hanger swirl. It's a simple technique that I haven't done since my "toddler years" of soapmaking. Funnily enough, the soap that I made was originally that technique when I debuted it to my customers. Stay tuned folks!

Go easy, This was a complete experiment (first attempt at that). I designed a pull template and 3d printed it. Just to see If anything artistic might come from it. The template laid at the bottom of the loaf mold and after I laid even layers of equal colors I did a pull straight up. I then decided to swipe a quick pass with a hanger. The design of the pull template is in the first photo. I was hoping to create a bunch of waves. The soap recipe is a Chocolate milk bar. Made with whole milk with Lye and then Coco for the darker color. Half with the coco, half without.

View attachment 46848 View attachment 46849

Enjoy

Sherm
I love your soap. I want a 3D printer, too!

Its going to be hard to see well since my walls are white and I have only two colors for the base, black and white lol but here is my Un-entry.
black dress1.jpg

It was a challenge to get the design in HP but I cut a flap off a cardboard box and wrapped it in press and seal then creased it, poured the black (Charcoal) pressed the cardboard V down into it and let it set then today made the Coconut Milk White layer, pulled out the cardboard and poured it. Each layer the same ounces of batter. Then sprinkled the top with white and black Jojoba beads and glitter. Scented with Little Black Dress

Latest posts

Back