New threads and interesting conversations directly in your inbox. Sign up now and get a daily summary of the latest forum activities!
Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by earlene, Jun 2, 2019.
Put them in the freezer. I had one that I could not get out, but after freezing it came right out.
I think we've all been there before
The Tale of the Entry that Just Couldn't... A Soapy Tale presented by AMD
Prologue: Life happened, and I ran out of time to get my soap entered, but I thought I would share it.
Chapter 1: There Once was a Rim
I made my rim with honey, hoping that would keep it more soft and pliable, but yet giving me a firm soap. Foolish hopes, as the batter accelerated so my idea of lovely thin poured lines turned into Plop Shake Swirl. I let my rim set for roughly 24 hours, which may have been too long. As I was pulling the freezer paper off the soap, the soap broke into pieces.
Chapter Two: The Plot Twist
I decided not to give up hope and shifted my plan from using a PVC pipe to using round cavity molds so that I could work with the longer pieces. Forty Five Minutes Later...
Chapter Three: A Soap is Born
I made a simple, uncolored soap for the center - made with ground oatmeal, coconut milk, honey, and scented with OMH fragrance. I did CPOP, hoping that it would help with the exterior cracking on my rims, but once they crack they don't go back.
Epilogue: No Soap Left Behind
I used the scraps from cutting the rims as a confetti in a regular bar of soap (same batch as the center of the rimmed soap). I did not CPOP the loaf mold and it ashed heavily on the top.
I think they look great! Both the rimmed soap and the embed soap, I love the tops!! Sometimes when I have little cracks or air holes, I like to use some of the excess and spackle away!! It's only for cosmetic purposes but just makes me feel better...
I'm not sure if I should open my mouth not having participated in the challenge but it appears everyone who tried - both with and without actual entries -should get a huge round of applause.
It seems it really was a great challenge.
well done all you clever soapies!
Great perseverance, amd! Too bad that lovely rim design was so uncooperative! So did you try using the cake slicing tool? I was wondering how it worked. I thought about it once when I saw one at Walmart, but then thought maybe it was too flimsy so never reconsidered.
If there were a prize for persistence, given the reports here, I'd say that there are 3 top runners who gave it their all: amd, steffamarie and KiwiMoose. But then again, the fact that this is such a challenge, then ALL who made an attempt and all who submitted and entry were also persistent.
Primrose, did freezing help get the soap out of the molds? I really can't wait to see your soap!
@amd - yours look like mine did lol except I didn't persevere enough to even make some in my individual circular molds! I, too, chopped up my rejects for confetti. Here's a photo of some of my failure confetti bars
I tried using the cake leveler and it did work - as in it was strong enough. My wire is serrated so it did leave lines in the sliced soap but was easy enough to smooth out since the soap was soft on the cut surfaces. I found I had a clay wire slicing tool I got with a set of carving tools, which gave the same result - also a serrated wire. If I try slicing this way again, I'm going to try to figure out a way to replace the existing wire in the cake leveler with a guitar string. But that might not be as strong either.
After contacting all voting members of this month's challenge, and because they all already voted, I am announcing the winners early.
First place: HowieRoll's textured paw prints Rimmed soap
Second place: dibbles' 10% castor oil Rim with plain center
Third place: artemis' purple marbled Rim with inlays
Thank you, each and every one of you who participated in this month's challenge and contributed to the collective shared experience of working with this technique.
I know there are additional rimmed soaps in the works and hope to see more posted soon!
Yay!! Congratulations winners. I applaude all who entered because, as i found out, it ain't easy! Loved the doggie paws on your soap @HowieRoll - cuteness factor won out, eh?
Congratulations to HowieRoll and artemis, and thank you! This was not an easy challenge, and all of the entries were well done. It was interesting to see all of the different approaches to getting the rim made. Thank you earlene for this challenge!
Awww, thanks everyone! And congratulations to dibbles and artemis! I also extend many congrats to everyone who submitted both an entry and non-entry because there is just so much creativity in this group and all of the ideas and creations are inspiring.
earlene, thanks so much for hosting this fun challenge!
Congratulations winners!!! Everyone's looked amazing!!
Congratulations everyone. All the soaps were wonderful.
It’s been fun following the posts for this challenge. BIG Congratulations to everyone who tried! Even if you did not succeed in making a soap, you did a great job sharing your experiences. I would be proud to have made any of the rimmed soaps in the entry thread, but I’m a dog lover, so you can guess which one stole my heart!
Well done to all participants.and winners! Definitely not an easy one this month
Erm, nope. Still stuck I am going to try a cake server to see if I can slide it under, although they are now cracking a bit as it's been several days they are probably losing their pliability.
It is all good, I will try again and remember to line my moulds this time :O
Congrats to you too. Another successful HP version of a CP technique. It’s amazing you could do that.
Thank you Dibbles!
Separate names with a comma.