SMF July Challenge - Clyde Slide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone has a preference for which picture I use for the voting where you've posted more than 1, please let me know in here which you would prefer otherwise I will pick the one I think best demonstrates the technique.

Here are my first two tries. I don't really consider these fails because I really like them. They may not have the feathering that is required in this challenge, but they definitely resemble photos I've seen posted as "Clyde Slide" pours. I actually like this technique best so far of the challenges I've tried.

The first photo is my first attempt and I used Peak's Cranberry Oak FO with Steph's Micas & More Peacock & Clementine micas and Mango Tango mica from Nurture Soap.

The second photo is my second attempt. I used Tuscan Patchouli from Valerie's Soaping Supplies. I went on line to find photos of Tuscany and patchouli to get my color scheme. I ended up using four micas from Nurture Soap (Iris Purple, Laurel Green, Lemon Chiffon and Orange Vibrance) and Indigo powder from Misty Magic supplies. The photos I used as inspiration are below the soap.

ETA: The soaps definitely need to be cleaned up.

Cranberry Oak.JPG

Tuscan Patchouli.JPG

Tuscany-380x300.jpg

March_Ingredients_Patchouli_480x340.jpg

Well, first day I could soap in a long long time. I made my Clyde slide attempt, but might not be able to cut before the deadline! if tomorrow is too late to post I'll just post a picture on this thread. I seriously doubt that it will be entry worthy in any case.

This challenge got me out of my comfort zone and no matter what, the looks of the soap will be different than anything I have done before. This alone made it worth it.

The part I did not like was the much messier soaping experience. I seldom do more than two tone soaps (I used or attempted 4 here). Now I know it is a good decision. Still, I could do a lot more design work with just the two tones.

Attempt #1 turned out more like a Clyde blob than a slide so I'll give it one more shot tonight

Those bars may not have the "clyde slide" feather going on but they are SO COOL. Are those glycerin rivers? If so, I would TOTALLY try to get them on purpose if my glycerin rivers ever looked that sweet.

/sigh...

Well, I thought I was going to have a better example to replace my first try, but this Slide turned into an awful plop. Was going great, had my colors ready, split my batter, added color, started to stir it in...and had 4 containers of "soap on a stick"!! I just dug my hands into the cups and plopped it into the mold, chunks and all. I covered it with cling wrap and when it started to heat up, I mooshed it into submission in the mold...LOL.

I got one more try in today, so maybe it'll be a good one. Will unmold and cut in the morning...hope it's better than the first and I have time to post it! I'm really having fun with this challenge!!

IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_2304.JPG

1. Earlene - I haven't done this one yet, so something new to learn.
2. Misschief - I have the next week off... I'm IN!
3. IrishLass - I've got some spare time, so I'm IN, too! (I'm excited- this will be my first challenge!)
4. TeresaT - excellent! My first one has a major oil slick, but I'm excited to do a second. Without the oil slick, though!!
5. BattleGnome - hopefully I can find the time, I've got a busy month
6. LisaAnne, fun!
7. Cindy2428 - I'm going to be fortunate enough to meet Clyde at SoapCon-I have to try this!
8. dibbles - Clyde Slide - yipee!
9. BlackDog - fun! Sonya that green color is fantastic - do you mind if I ask what it is?
10.nikkisessence - looking forward to trying
11. Arimara - I'd love to give this a try, though it would be poor timing on my part.
12. TheDragonGirl - This looks like fun, I hope I've understood how to do it right
13. CmZaha - I am thinking I will have time so I am in. Hopefully
14. SunWolf - Love Clyde...neat guy!
16. Guspuppy - love the Clyde Slide!
17. jules92207 - I've been doing the clyde slide and didn't even know it! Can't wait!
18. Soapswirl - I've been meaning to try this technique for a while so this gives me a good excuse!
19. green soap - I heard I am getting another color, so it will be nice to try it out here. Never achieved an ITP swirl, this seems simpler.
20. KristaY - I'm excited to give this one a go!
21. Judiraz- Haven't done a Slide in awhile.
22. Saponista - I am really bad at this, but I will give it another shot!
23. Rusti - I'm old enough to play now, right? I think I can do this one!
24. Niclycha. ..I should definitely be able to do this one.
25. Rowan - Can't wait to give this a go.
26. Artemis - Lye: check. Oils: check. Distilled water: check. Colors: check. We are go for soap.
27. Steve85569 - Looks like I might have time for an attempt before the blackberries hit. Train wreck in progress!!
28. Stacyspy - What could possibly go wrong?
29. doriettefarm - Better late than never, right?

30. carlyjones - lucky number thirty !

Omg. Just saw the entry thread... So glad I didn't sign up because I wouldn't be able to vote for three. Exceptional job, all of you! I love them!

Say hello to Clyde blob #2! I think both batches look pretty neat but aren't good examples of the technique. The glycerin rivers in batch #1 were not intentional . . . just got 'lucky' so to speak.
I love Clyde blob #2! And look at third soap from right - it's got a freaky disembodied face going on.... I see an eye, and lips....eeee!

Dang it Guspuppy, now I'm fixed on that bar with the weird face! It reminds me of album art from the 80's but I can't place which one it's from. I want to say Prince but my Google-fu is failing me at the moment.

Back