SMF February Challenge - Spin Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
galaxy, I LOVE the name "Blarney Stone" for that - it suits it well! Very beautiful. Did you use low water or why did it take so long?

Thank you, I really wanted a different outcome.

I used low water (beer+ water actually) (33%) and I brought it to emulsification by whisk instead of stick blender. That was the real difference. This is also a slow tracing FO. But, I've never seen it this slow, even without FOs and this recipe is 55% hard oils + 8% castor. I also mixed my colors in oil this time instead of water. I'm going to attempt again with this same method/recipe only with a different FO and color scheme.

ETA: you can see the stearin spots in this soap which I usually don't get in this recipe just because I had to leave it out at room temp for so long. The top was also softer than the bottom of the soap. I think it will be lovely after a cure.

Last edited:
ETA: you can see the stearin spots in this soap which I usually don't get in this recipe just because I had to leave it out at room temp for so long. The top was also softer than the bottom of the soap. I think it will be lovely after a cure.

I really like the stearin spots in this one. It gives a granite-like look to the soap. :)

I attemted a spin for the challenge.
All I got was mud... :sick:

My fault. I was expecting it to set up, but it took a while, and when I thought it was sturdy enough, I started the spin.
And mud here we go.

Will unmold and cut to show the mess. But it will take a while, it was with olive and lard and tiny bit coconut. I covered it so it will gel, at least that will enhance the colors some.

Wonder how it will look on the inside when it was this ugly on the outside. Not expecting any awesome looking mirror image on this one..:?

MSH, your experience sounds pretty much like mine. Way too thick to swirl, and I wasn't at all happy with how it looked after I cut it up. So I thought about it a while, and ended up shredding it and putting it in another batch. I just posted a pic in the photo gallery. Much happier with it now. I hope you're at least happy with yours when it's done, even if it's not swirled. But all is not lost, you can always use it another way.

My failed attempt scented with Green Irish Tweed. Was going to name it"Irish Greens" but have decided to go with "Blarney Stone" instead. Now it sounds like it was intentional. This was done in a loaf mold and I cut it horizontally. Trace was wayyyy too thin. It actually ended up taking 2 hours after I poured it to even be able to put it in the oven to CPOP it. It also leaked a little.

Galaxy, how are you going to do the mirror image cuts using the loaf mold? I love how the soap turned out regardless!

These are technically mirror image cuts. It's a 9"x3.25"x2.25" mold. I cut the 9" length into 4, vertically, to give me 2.35" pieces and then I cut those pieces in half horizontally. I get the same amount of pieces when I cut the loaf mold in the traditional way. The picture I took are not the same cut. I'll take a picture of the mirror image pair when I get home!

Sorry if I didn't explain that very well. I basically treat the loaf mold like its a slab mold in that regard. I just like using loaf molds better than my slab molds.

I figured there was a way you were cutting it that was different! My brain just wasnt wrapping around it by itself.

MSH, your experience sounds pretty much like mine. Way too thick to swirl, and I wasn't at all happy with how it looked after I cut it up. So I thought about it a while, and ended up shredding it and putting it in another batch. I just posted a pic in the photo gallery. Much happier with it now. I hope you're at least happy with yours when it's done, even if it's not swirled. But all is not lost, you can always use it another way.

I have done a looot of layering and playing with colors etc, but spin swirl, that is the first time I have done. I need to practice more. Way more...

I agree, all isn`t lost when things doesn`t turn out as planned. Probably why i love making soap...
Will check out your posts!

Don't know if I'll get my slab mold in time to participate in the challenge. I ordered it yesterday after I saw that the gal who makes them posted on my Etsy site that one was available several days before. Good thing I checked, because I thought she was going to email me when it was ready. Oh well, it is what it is. Even if I don't make it in time, I will do the technique once the mold arrives.

If you use low water, feel free to post your fo choice (before soaping ), and let us tell you if we have used it, and whether or not it performs well, in low water.

We are all here to help!

Afterthought, what fo did you use?

I am getting ready to use the following recipe for this challenge as The first attempt failed and I have a couple of questions before I make any big mistakes or end up with a hot mess on my hands.

40 percent Olive oil
40 Percent Lard
15 Percent Coconut oil
5 Percent Caster Oil
Lye water ratio at 1.4:1

so that breaks down to the following in the soap calc

Water 17.30 oz
Lye 12.36 oz
Coconut oil 13.5 oz
castor oil 4.5 oz
Olive Oil 36 oz
Lard 36 Oz

Total Oil weight 90.0 Oz

Fragrance oil will be Crafters choice Peony has anyone had any experience with this fragrance oil does it cause acceleration ?

Thanks in advance Todd

Todd - your recipe looks like it should be slow to trace even with low water but not so sure about your choice of FO. Some florals can be pretty speedy but I've never used that particular one so hopefully someone that has will comment.

I am getting ready to use the following recipe for this challenge as The first attempt failed and I have a couple of questions before I make any big mistakes or end up with a hot mess on my hands.

40 percent Olive oil
40 Percent Lard
15 Percent Coconut oil
5 Percent Caster Oil

Water 17.30 oz
Lye 12.36 oz
Coconut oil 13.5 oz
castor oil 4.5 oz
Olive Oil 36 oz
Lard 36 Oz

Total Oil weight 90.0 Oz

Fragrance oil will be Crafters choice Peony has anyone had any experience with this fragrance oil does it cause acceleration ?

Thanks in advance Todd

Florals are notorious for A. Did you check out fragrance forum's spread sheet and the reviews on WSP? I have close to no WSP fos so, unfortunately, I have no idea if it A's. Sorry!

Unless you've used that (Peony) already, I wouldn't chance it. In low water it would be exponentially worse if it's an accelerator, and it seems like most florals are (barring perhaps lavender.) Also, that's a pretty big batch. Do you need that much for your mold or is there a smaller mold you can do a smaller test batch in? If things don't go your way.....well, that's a lot of soap!

Unless you've used that (Peony) already, I wouldn't chance it. In low water it would be exponentially worse if it's an accelerator, and it seems like most florals are (barring perhaps lavender.) Also, that's a pretty big batch. Do you need that much for your mold or is there a smaller mold you can do a smaller test batch in? If things don't go your way.....well, that's a lot of soap!

The batch is the size of my mold unfortunately I only have one slab mold and it is a biggie :) I will steer away from the floral I will go with one I know wont accelerate.

Thanks for the help :)

Todd

40 percent Olive oil
40 Percent Lard
15 Percent Coconut oil
5 Percent Caster Oil

Water 17.30 oz
Lye 12.36 oz
Coconut oil 13.5 oz
castor oil 4.5 oz
Olive Oil 36 oz
Lard 36 Oz

Total Oil weight 90.0 Oz

Thanks in advance Todd

I used this exact recipe except at 30% lye concentration for two attempts at this challenge. It worked beautifully both times. I let my lye water cool to about 80F and the oils were around 95F. Blended just emulsified, then hand stirred in my colors, then hand stirred FO. Had plenty of time to get it poured and spin. Good luck!

Thank you, I really wanted a different outcome.

I used low water (beer+ water actually) (33%) and I brought it to emulsification by whisk instead of stick blender. That was the real difference. This is also a slow tracing FO. But, I've never seen it this slow, even without FOs and this recipe is 55% hard oils + 8% castor. I also mixed my colors in oil this time instead of water. I'm going to attempt again with this same method/recipe only with a different FO and color scheme.

Galaxy, could those "Stearin spots" be prevented by mixing the hard and soft oils with a SB before you put the lye in?

Thanks in advance Todd

I haven't, but if it behaves I'd love to know. Peony is one of the few florals I like.

ETA: Didn't see the end of the thread, and it looks like you aren't going to try it. I hope it works well for you in something other than your challenge attempt.

Last edited:
Galaxy, could those "Stearin spots" be prevented by mixing the hard and soft oils with a SB before you put the lye in?

No, that's unlikely. It happened because I got a very slow cool down of my soap mixture and it was at a very thin trace. I'm pretty sure I actually did use my SB the mix the FO really well into the oils before adding the lye.

To my understanding stearin spots happen because stearin (triglyceride of stearic fatty acids) has a high melt point and starts to "fall out" of the melted solution. That's what makes my palm oil a slurry and what gives Shea butter a grainy consistency if left out to melt and reharden on its own.

I usually CPOP right away so I get full gel and the oils don't have a chance to solidify very much before reacting. I don't normally get these spots. But, I think even sticking the soap in the freezer may also prevent stearin spots because you are cooling the soap rapidly as opposed to slowly.

Back