SMF February 2021 Challenge - Circling Taiwan Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! I forgot to take a pic of the wet soap but I know it was definitely not a tight enough design. I made attempt #2 today - I like the colours a lot more but hope the navy stays true. Much tighter design but still not sure it's tight enough. I used a popsicle stick and I felt all thumbs - think I need something longer... we'll see what the cut yields!

I used a new FO called White Tea & Pear from Nurture and it's really nice. No acceleration or discolouring.
Very pretty. Just a reminder that pictures of your entry soap can’t be posted. Especially this technique where the design is visible on the top.

I just made my Taiwan swirl soap and it's been awhile since I've done a Taiwan swirl - wow, I forgot how messy it is! I had the darnedest time getting the dividers out. I finally had to go hunt down some tweezers to get a grip on them. I tried out a new fragrance oil called Earth Meets Sky by Nurture Soap and I was quite pleased with it - no acceleration, no ricing and it smells amazing.

Earth meets sky is such a lovely FO. One of my favorites, and it gets better with cure.

My first attempt didn't yield the results I was hoping for. I too put too much space between the 'back and forth' of the skewer. The fragrance I used had no vanillan but dicoloured to yellow which I thought I could adjust with td but that didn't work. The cut looks reminiscent of a Taiwan Swirl but not really imo. I may have photographed them upside down... I'm not sure! 😂
Still gorgeous and love the color combo

First attempt made and failed. My soap setup too fast so I ditched the dividers and did a plop pray swirl in the mold. I'm not sure if the FO moved this one fast for me or if my oils were just a touch too cold, possibly both. I'm going to try again later this week with a heavily diluted [with RBO or OO] version of my masterbatched oils. Also... some y'all need to lower your expectations, your failures would be exceptional entries :D I'm struggling to keep up...

ah, didn't know that! So the pics posted will not be entries? Guess I'll move on to attempt #3. Thanks!
There will be a separate entry thread for the challenge entry photos. It hasn't been opened yet. From the stated SMF Challenge rules:

4. A separate entry thread will be created and this is where you will post photos of your entry soap. Please do not post photos of your entry until the entry thread is opened. Post pictures of your entry soap only in the challenge entry thread.

Non-entry photos are always welcome and may be posted in the general challenge thread. The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts (other than your entry) where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members, and provide helpful hints you learned along the way.

I just want to remind everyone - please take a few minutes to read the challenge rules. We hostesses all hate to disqualify any entry because the soap was posted before the entry thread opens, or any of the other rules weren't followed. I know it's boring, but I also know y'all don't want to make us cry. 😭

Sooooooooo... I don't have to worry about not putting soap number 2 in the challenge! I cpoped it and forgot it was in the oven. I've done this before, however, this time I turned on the broiler! I'm very happy I keep my pizza stone on my oven rack! My soap, mold and cutting board are toast! Not for the faint of heart!

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 46
Sooooooooo... I don't have to worry about not putting soap number 2 in the challenge! I cpoped it and forgot it was in the oven. I've done this before, however, this time I turned on the broiler! I'm very happy I keep my pizza stone on my oven rack! My soap, mold and cutting board are toast! Not for the faint of heart!
Oh dear! Sorry that happened. It is kind of making me want s'mores though 😋

Oh no, so sad, even if it does look like s’mores.

Ah noooooooo! So sorry. Yes, good thing you keep your pizza stone in the oven. Whew.

First try in the mold. My batter thickened up pretty fast halfway through the pour even though I used a generally well behaved FO ...Juicy Apricot from NS. And I forgot how extremely messy this technique is and the amount of clean up involved. Lol Just might have to do another though! Choosing colors is one of my biggest challenges. I don’t know why but it is!
Me too with the colors. It will take me hours sometimes to figure out what colors I want lol

So you know how you get batter on your arm, but you can't stop to get it off, because you are making your challenge soap, and decide to make an extra bit of batter for a pull-through, but you forget - AGAIN! - to halve the radius when calculating the amount, so you end up with enough batter to also fill the slab mold, and now you are trying to time all three for pulling and swirling and circling, so you end up with a burn on your arm, but you are happy because you had fun, and just maybe all the soaps turned out ok, except for the one muddy corner of the slab, and you have to not lick the bowl that looks like fudge on dulce de lece, but is really soap? Yup, that was me tonight! :p

IMG_1170.JPG

Last edited:
Had a good laugh... thanks. At first I thought beeswax might be a good idea - on second thought... I always have the layers leak at the botton!
I think the beeswax would have been fine if hadn't been so overzealous. LOL I've since cut up a thin silicone baking mat to fit the bottom of my mold and that seems to work pretty good. Still a tiny bit of leakage, but just the smallest bit. :)

So you know how you get batter on your arm, but you can't stop to get it off, because you are making your challenge soap, and decide to make an extra bit of batter for a pull-through, but you forget - AGAIN! - to halve the radius when calculating the amount, so you end up with enough batter to also fill the slab mold, and now you are trying to time all three for pulling and swirling and circling, so you end up with a burn on your arm, but you are happy because you had fun, and just maybe all the soaps turned out ok, except for the one muddy corner of the slab, and you have to not lick the bowl that looks like fudge on dulce de lece, but is really soap? Yup, that was me tonight! :p
Love it! It was like being there with you. Hope your arm isn't too bad this morning!

My first attempt at a Taiwan Swirl today. The batter started to thicken quite quickly and was was plopped in between the dividers. The top looks very lumpy And the sides, where I went round are a bit messy. The colours are white and then 2 shades of alkanet, hopefully one will be darker than the other.
making this certainly took my mind off the constant rain we have been having. My parents’ underground car park is totally under water, with their car in it. So we are waiting for the water to subside so we can see how much damage there is. I would love to have a scuba diving kit so that I could swim around in the garage and see the car. I wonder if it is floating.

Attachments

• 01E27699-1B82-40BB-A3D0-2FF3011A6319.jpeg
    01E27699-1B82-40BB-A3D0-2FF3011A6319.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 9AF556B1-DB70-4EB2-8611-3700529BFD7E.jpeg
    9AF556B1-DB70-4EB2-8611-3700529BFD7E.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 43
@KimW thanks for asking! Fortunately, my body butter does a great job on burns and dry skin (lots of practice with it, hahahah), so this morning, all that's left of the burn is only a small, dark red dot. Regarding your attempt, can you tell me more about using the silicone mat on the bottom, and how that prevents leakage? Do the dividers create a tighter seal with the additional liner than they do with the regular silicone mold liner? Or perhaps you were using freezer paper before? Thanks!

Results of last night's soap escapades are posted in the Soapy Thing thread, but I will say that my first attempt at the TCS is ok. Not awesome, but I won't post pics here since it may be my only attempt. I have a few other soapy things to make for other people that need to come first before I try this again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back