SMF August 2020 Challenge - Zig Zag Cosmic Wave Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a deceptively challenging. I tried 8 times in the past 2 weeks (small batches). I had lots of issues with thickening too fast in the first 4 before I had to completely overhaul the recipe to make it a ‘swirly’ one. I finally got it.
Things that helped me:
-a higher oleic formula
-soaping at a lower temp and stick blending only to emulsion
-adding fragrance last—once I had the colors how I wanted
-lowering my workspace a few inches so I was directly over my project and had a bit more control
-wall pouring *half* my colors into my pourer, and doing the other half when it was empty
-finding that sweet spot just slightly to the side of the corners to pour
-remembering to lower the incline in time

I had a lot of fun.
I’ll post some of the ‘outtakes’ once I can find some decent lighting.

@sarahmarah thanks for sharing your experiences. I’m sure your tips will be helpful to many. I’m glad you had fun with this - it’s a technique I really enjoy playing with. After 8 tries, I think you probably have this down and will be able to repeat it whenever you want to. Gold stars to you for hanging in there!

-wall pouring *half* my colors into my pourer, and doing the other half when it was empty
-finding that sweet spot just slightly to the side of the corners to pour
These two things were huge for me, as well.

I didn't realize how muddy the colors would get towards the bottom of the pitcher, especially if I let it flow back down into the pitcher as I switched corners. It worked better when I just barely eased the pitcher back and used a finger to stop the flow - just like Fraulein Winter does in her video. I also needed to stop once the colors became muddy, and pour out the remainder into a waiting cavity mold. Then I could wipe out the pitcher and re-pour the other half of my colors into it.

Pouring from a tad bit higher seemed to work better for me, too, but I think that's because my batter was thickening.

These two things were huge for me, as well.

I didn't realize how muddy the colors would get towards the bottom of the pitcher, especially if I let it flow back down into the pitcher as I switched corners. It worked better when I just barely eased the pitcher back and used a finger to stop the flow - just like Fraulein Winter does in her video. I also needed to stop once the colors became muddy, and pour out the remainder into a waiting cavity mold. Then I could wipe out the pitcher and re-pour the other half of my colors into it.

Pouring from a tad bit higher seemed to work better for me, too, but I think that's because my batter was thickening.
Scraping out and refilling the pouring pitcher definitely helps me, but my batter stays quit e fluid for a good stretch of time. I rest my container on my mold - I don’t think I have the dexterity to pour from any height - kudos for being able to do that!

@dibbles, I should clarify: "height" in this case meant not resting it on the edge of the mold. It was probably no more than ½" above that.

And it seemed like the muddiness happened because of tilting the pitcher back away from the mold. In other words, the fluid batter would run back down into the pitcher and get mixed together. To say it another way, the less I moved the batter while in the pitcher, the less muddiness I got. So I tried not to tilt the pitcher back when switching between corners. Does that make sense?

@dibbles, I should clarify: "height" in this case meant not resting it on the edge of the mold. It was probably no more than ½" above that.

And it seemed like the muddiness happened because of tilting the pitcher back away from the mold. In other words, the fluid batter would run back down into the pitcher and get mixed together. To say it another way, the less I moved the batter while in the pitcher, the less muddiness I got. So I tried not to tilt the pitcher back when switching between corners. Does that make sense?
It makes sense, and yes the way you are handling the pitcher is how I do it too. Thanks for sharing your tips. It really helps others and even though I try to remember everything that might be helpful, it’s hard. So everything that is shared is appreciated.

I think thats what happened with me. If i try it again, then i will try not to upright the pitcher between pours, and scrape out the end batter before refilling.

This technique was a bit harder than it looks.

Thanks @bookreader451 for the tip of the higher water content. It really made it easier. My batter was much more pourable. Thanks!

I feel like I'v learned something new from every post on this thread.

I made a 3rd batch now. I used my new loaf mould for the first time.
There was a dramatic improvement and it was much more of a success. But I still made some boo-boos.

This technique is like rubbing your head and your belly with both hands but in different directions. There is so much to keep in mind while you pour.

My zig zag looks ok in the beginning, but I poured too much so there is no S-curve in the beginning,
Then when I started pouring less, and the curve started showing, then my zig-zags went pearshaped, and I had to scrape out my jug and refill it with new batter.
I think the first box I put under the mould to lift it was too big, I feel like I should have used a lower wedge.
But then I got nervous because the batter was slowly getting thicker. and I rushed a bit, and it flopped a bit in the end.

But I'll try one more time.
Next time I will use a bigger workspace. so that I'm not cramped and knocking things over.
I'll stir to emulsion and then separate into jugs to mix colours and continue stirring from there.
And I need to stay calm, and focus on my zig-zags
IMG_20200819_161916.jpg

Everyone has such great tips!! I tried a second batch this morning and used so many of these tips, but made a fatal mistake in the very beginning. I thought my recipe matched my mold size, but it didn't and I didn't have enough batter to execute the design. I did make a different recipe that gave me plenty of working time, though, so that was good. I also had trouble with my colors mixing this time because of tipping my pitcher back and forth between pours. I realized that I wouldn't have enough batter to cover my mold almost as soon as I started pouring and that derailed my train thought and I lost focus on the design. Any curve I may have gotten was lost when I laid my mold down and the batter ran to the other end. On a positive note, I did much better at the fanning of the colors since my batter was a nice pour-able consistency. And @dibbles suggestion of pouring right next to the corner instead of in it was a great help. I'm at the end of my soaping hobby supply budget for this month and I have a couple other projects planned so I probably won't try again, but it was so much fun to try and - most importantly - I really learned a lot!! 😃
20200819_134314.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the tips. I'm going to pay close attention to not letting my batter run back down into my pouring pitcher and I'll probably either scrape it out into a single-cavity mold or do my 2nd half in a clean pitcher as suggested. I'm excited to try it tonight. I have my oils and lye kitted up and my colors picked out already. As soon as I get back from my doctor's appointment I'm going to try again.

These were two attempts that I did that didn’t make the cut. The red/blue was “Smoke + Mirrors” and like that it looks smokey but ultimately the contrast wasn’t as punchy as I wanted and the colors got muddled a bit. One of my colors was Celestial Silver mica and that contributed a bit.

The orange/green was “Harvest Moonlight” and the green was actually supposed to be more of a teal blue. This one thickened and bunched a bit—I had to plane some of the really thick wave parts down after cutting. It might have been the fragrance oil that made it move quicker (cinnamon heavy), or that I used a bit of sugar to bump up the bubbles. Both smell great and will make some good soap.
C91C2267-C7A5-485B-AD90-EBD7A2DB974E.jpeg

One thing I’ve found interesting is that you can plan the perfect color palette but the colors will have a mind of their own with this design. I suspect the order of placement in the pouring pitcher will yield different results. Placing my most vivid colors as the second color was what I went with—now I’m wondering how it would have turned out if I had placed them first. Definitely experiment!

Latest posts

Back