Smell of Tea?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessieD

Reaction score
I've read quite a bit about adding different teas to soap, using tea instead of water, and adding tea leaves at trace. I've never tried any of this, and was thinking of doing it soon. My question though is this…

In everything I've read, no one has mentioned if the soap SMELLS like the tea used? I'm soooo curious!!

Same with coffee soap…does it smell like coffee??

Unfortunately the scent of tea doesn't stay. The color changes as the soap ages. Unscented coffee soap smells funky.

I did an olive oil infusion with chai tea and it came out smelling like blah commercial soap and a coffee olive oil infusion with strong coffee in place of water. The coffee came out smelling like a chemical fire but that went away and just smells like soapy now. I'd use either for the color they imparted though.

Thank you all for the info! I was going to just try to make unscented ones and see what happens, but you have saved me from that experiment. Lol. Bergamot for English Tea sounds great! I may have to try that ;)

i've made unscented coffee soap (HP), and sadly the coffee smell is practically gone after like 3 weeks :(

Bergamot EO fades pretty badly in CP soap. You might consider a good quality fragrance oil. Soapalooza carried a really nice Earl Grey FO and The Scent Works has a number of nice tea scents, both green and black.

Chamomille tea, if brewed strong and if you infuse some leaves in your liquid oils, will leave a faint residual scent. Mint, green, black, and chai, unfortunately, do not.

I recently made a batch of Earl Grey soap, using a strong brew of Earl Grey tea instead of water to dissolve my lye. It wasn't scented with anything else, apart from a tiny bit of lavender florets sprinkled on top. I used CPOP with water discount for making this soap. During the first week it didn't smell of much, but as it is curing, the smell of tea is getting stronger and stronger! It's actually very nice, I mostly did it for the light brown-grayish color, but the scent is great too.

Last edited:
I've used peppermint tea, in goat milk soap, and the scent really stuck, but it doesn't smell like peppermint. It has been nine or ten months, and I can still smell it, just wish it was something I liked more.

I make a green tea , rooibos and coffee soap and no the fragrance doesn't stay. I leave the teas plain but what I do with the coffee is add a bit of vanilla EO/ FO. With herbal teas you could always add complimentary EO like chammonile, mint etc. just a thought. Teas are great for colouring. And yes, add the leaves at trace.

I've used peppermint tea, in goat milk soap, and the scent really stuck, but it doesn't smell like peppermint. It has been nine or ten months, and I can still smell it, just wish it was something I liked more.

What did it end up smelling like?

Hello! I love the smell of "fresh, out of the box or tin" tea or tea bags. I have yet to try making a soap with this fragrance but I have read some good reviews about The Scent Works "Iced Black Keemun Tea". Here is the link: http://store.scent-works.com/icblketeayic.html It apparently has a strong orange pekoe tea scent without any other additional fragrances. Maybe this can be of interest to you? ....Now I have the need to brew a cup of tea right now..... :wink:

Back