silk fibers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how Soy Silk (Honestly never heard of it) will work, but I want to try it!

It would most def fit the cruelty free bit. Thanks for leading me to an interesting new thing!

To answer your question, that's not the silk I use in my soap. I use Silk from silk worms. I think the soy silk is 'silk like'.

what the... how the... its fiber??? how do you put that in soap?

I dissolve a "wad" of fibers into my lye water. I put the silk fibers into the water, then pour the lye crystals/flakes directly on top of it. If ever it doesn't completely dissolve, it gets finished up by the stick-blender when I combine the oils/lye.

Hope that helps

rupertspal42 said:
what the... how the... its fiber??? how do you put that in soap?

I pinch off small cotton-ball sized wad (or maybe a little bit less than that) of the silk and pull on the fibers to spread them out as thinly as possible. Then I let the wispy silk soak in my liquid amount for about 5 minutes before I pour the lye crystals in. After about 5 to 7 minutes of stirring, all the silk is dissolved (as well as the lye).

IrishLass :)

I love silk as well and use it in all my soaps.

I am right now knitting a sweater using Soy Yarn and oh my is it ever soft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmmm that's a good question.. I wouldn't think it was the EXACT same thing.. b/c soy is it's own plant and it's made into the silk.. where corn is already like that and you dry it out and such

Back