Silicone Spray for Soap Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melonie

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Would I be able to use the silicone spray sold at a hardware store for my soap mold? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Melonie

That is a very good question...i would like to know that as well...I use vegetable glycerin for my mold....it helps when I am using standard baking ware from target or walmart...the soap slides out very smoothly

It would have to be skin safe I think .I have used OO pam spray and mineral oil. They do sell a soap release silicone spray , I don't know how it differs from the hardware store kind.

Kitn

I have used silicone spray that I found in my hubby's garage. It's from an auto shop, but it says it's just silicone, no other additives.
I just give my moulds a quick spray and the soap comes out really easily.
I've also found that it gives the soap a nice shine.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the great tips. I suppose I would just try different oils to see which would work best for my mold. I heard about silicone spray, but there are different kinds, so I wasn't sure which would be suitable for soap making. I know that you can go to Menards and get it, but not sure if this would be the same kind used for soap or not.

How does the OO Pam spray work? How does the soap look? What about mineral oil, and where can you get it?

Thank you for all your help.

Melonie

I have good luck with the OO Pam, but mineral oil works great too and is less expensive .You can get mineral oil in any pharmacy or grocery store.

Kitn

Silicone can be sticky when used in excess. Spray the mold, then wipe it with a paper towel. This leaves plenty of silicone for the job.

Thank you all for all the great tips! I will give these oils a try.

Happy Monday,

Melonie

I found the silicone sprays available at the hardware store to be too tacky and thick for my little indy molds. I now use dimethicone (which is a silicone derivative ) which is skin safe (it is used in making creams and cosmetics) and is very light weight. My soaps slip right out of the milkyway molds with great definition. I get if from Lotioncrafters.

x

hardware store silicone sprays like WD-40 contain solvents and toxic chemicals. please don't use!

"google" FOOD GRADE SILICONE SPRAYS. the webstaraunt store sells a large can for $4.

Back