silicone cup for lye solution?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use polypropylene plastic bottles since they are more heat resistant than LDPE/HDPE/squishy plastics.

I use 125, 500, and 1000mL “reagent” bottles from United Scientific. I also have a 5L polypropylene “carboy” (bottle with a spigot) for dispensing into the smaller bottles.

The upside of these is that I can premix my lye solution ahead of time and store it for later.

Edit: polypropylene = #5 that @Nona'sFarm mentioned

I bought some small silicone bowls to measure out my EO/FO's and mix some of the other things like sodium gluconate or sugars, salts and other additives. I've klutzed some of them and had to clean up the mess and with the EO/FO's, they retain the smells. I finally tossed them all and will have to rethink my small bowl items. I would not trust myself, even with a larger, solid base piece of silicone, to use it for lye. But as @AliOop does, I stir my lye mixture and soap with silicone utensils and I see nothing that suggests it is breaking down. I did not like the scent retention and I'm just too much of a klutz to deal with any more silicone vessels.

I bought some small silicone bowls to measure out my EO/FO's and mix some of the other things like sodium gluconate or sugars, salts and other additives. I've klutzed some of them and had to clean up the mess and with the EO/FO's, they retain the smells. I finally tossed them all and will have to rethink my small bowl items. I would not trust myself, even with a larger, solid base piece of silicone, to use it for lye. But as @AliOop does, I stir my lye mixture and soap with silicone utensils and I see nothing that suggests it is breaking down. I did not like the scent retention and I'm just too much of a klutz to deal with any more silicone vessels.
A bit of a tangent but I use canning jars for EO/FO. The little 1/2 cup jars work well for small batches and half pints for bigger batches. I usually only use around 3% EO/FO, depending on the EO/FO of course. The jars don’t retain the smell. When I make up slurry’s of oil and Kaolin clay with EO blends, the jars are especially nice as they seal really well and I don’t need to smell the concoction.

A bit of a tangent but I use canning jars for EO/FO. The little 1/2 cup jars work well for small batches and half pints for bigger batches. I usually only use around 3% EO/FO, depending on the EO/FO of course. The jars don’t retain the smell. When I make up slurry’s of oil and Kaolin clay with EO blends, the jars are especially nice as they seal really well and I don’t need to smell the concoction.
I might have to try that. I really liked the shape of the small bowls as they were rounded and had no "crease" that I had to make sure I cleaned out. For that they were wonderful. I'm sure I have a couple of those somewhere in the house. LOL Thanks for the idea

I might have to try that. I really liked the shape of the small bowls as they were rounded and had no "crease" that I had to make sure I cleaned out. For that they were wonderful. I'm sure I have a couple of those somewhere in the house. LOL Thanks for the idea
lol. I use canning jars for a lot of stuff.

Hey soap peeps! I'll be vulnerable and set an example that there're no stupid questions here. 🤔Today I used a silicone measuring cup to mix up my lye solution. Is this an okay idea? I know my molds are silicone but they hold soap batter, not just lye solution.
And, hey, didja notice I'm making soap?!
Should be fine. I use the #5 plastic juice containers that I buy at our local Dollar Store- they are super cheap, last forever, and work great. deep enough for stirring and have a spout for pouring.

I use small silicone bowl to measure my lye and then mix it with water in the plastic measuring cups. Nothing happens to silicone with lye. But I agree with flimsiness of the large silicone cups. I bought one for mixing lye solution and decided against that when I poured the water in it and tried to pick it up. They bend too much and sort of slippery to touch. I wouldn't trust myself to carry something like lye water in it.

Latest posts

Back