Show us your airing cupboard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something like this you mean? ;)
View attachment 61369
Thank you for this picture, Tara. I am up against a wall for needing to organize all my soaping supplies at this point. My husband wants the kitchen table back, can you imagine that? Are you putting soap in those boxes before or after they are cured?

If you watch FB marketplace bread racks sometimes come up in our area but I’m sure you know that. I loooooove mine. Having the casters is a huge plus.
Edited to say just realized you meant those plastic interlocking trays. I wonder if the would fit on a bread rack?
Yes, I meant the interlocking plastic trays. If I had a place to put a bread rack, however, I might be looking at one of those down the road. I’m still in the hobbyist stage, Probably for the long-haul, so I don’t yet have a need for a whole baking rack full of soaps. 😊

I just bought this shelf yesterday! Up until then, I was using plastic cases for scrap book paper spread out on the floor. So much better!
Are these high quality Stainless Steel shelving? If not, I would recommend placing a liner on the metal as a buffer against DOS before stacking your soap on the shelves. My racks like that came with plastic liners, but you can also use plastic crafter's mesh (like for needlepoint) or other types of lining that lifts the bar up off the metal and still allows for airflow.

Those are similar to bread trays here in the US. My DH and I went out to dinner Thursday night, and walking back to the car, I saw exactly 3 of the bread trays outside the front door of a restaurant after closing. The bottom tray even had wheels. Unfortunately, DH felt it necessary to remind me that just because they were outside the door after closing didn’t mean they were there for the taking. I’m sure someone was supposed to pick them up? I need exactly 3 trays for my soap. Maybe the restaurant wants to give them to me and I should call?😉

You could give them a call?

It may also sit outside because the bakery that delivers bread to the restaurant you passed, may come back very early in the morning to pick the trays up, and come back later in the morning with trays filled with freshly baked bread before the restaurant opens for business. Bakers and restaurants work at different hours so they can overlap that way. (my mom worked in a restaurant, that is how they did it)

How about also asking a bakery in your area? After all, if you ask, what is the worst that could happen? They could just say no, sorry, we need`em.

And even if they can not give any to you right now, I would just leave my number with the manager and let them know that if they need to get rid of some at one point down the road, you are willing to take them off their hands! And then perhaps give them some soaps as a thank you for being willing to have you in mind. At least it would not hurt, and they would make the assosiation of you, your soaps and the trays.

I'm going to show all y'alls pics to my husband and tell him to suck it up. 😂

20211003_154235.jpg

This is 2 lightweight shoe racks, stacked, covered in muslin when I'm not arranging soaps or taking pics. Craft plastic mesh sheets keep soap off the wood and get washed between batches. My cured soaps go into those pressed paper snack bags & then into a very clean hay box in the linen cupboard. (Floor towels are dirty towels, don't tell my mother I took a picture of "her" linen cupboard. I think I hear 3 generations of grandmothers & great-grandmothers swooning & rolling in their graves.)

20211003_155241.jpg

I was unable to make soap from December through May-ish b/c of moving house & feeling awful, so I am low on soaps and trying to make sure I have enough for holiday gifts and family use, especially if I go nonfunctional again this winter. 🙄

Thank you for this picture, Tara. I am up against a wall for needing to organize all my soaping supplies at this point. My husband wants the kitchen table back, can you imagine that? Are you putting soap in those boxes before or after they are cured?
After cure - I also have (had) a soap mountain for curing purposes but it's significantly reduced these days since I no longer have 20+ soaps in the cure phase at once...

And yes, the kitchen table demands are shocking! I feel you on that 😲

I use these trays from Essential Depot. Holds 200 bars each!!!! Yeah that sounds exciting until you try to lift each tray and herniate your back in the process. In the future I think I will go the whole bakers rack idea.

Attachments

• 20211004_090855.jpg
    20211004_090855.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 22
IMG_1921.JPG

I found this rack on craigslist a couple years back for $40. I bought cafeteria trays which I line with parchment paper and then shelf liners. They fit two to a shelf and usually one to two batches of soap per tray. Finding containers for the bottom racks were a tad harder to find. The big white one at the bottom holds things I don't use often but need if I am going to play with colors or swirls. The top blue one holds all my additives (charcoal, TO, chelators, powdered milks, etc). The middle one carries everything that I need to take into my kitchen to make soap...scale, gloves, mixer, mask, SB, etc. So it is just one trip from here to the kitchen, other than oils. All in one 30" corner of my quilting studio. I do have an old curtain that I throw over the top to keep out the dust that creeps in no matter how hard I try to keep it dust free.

I wish the trays fit just a tad better, but they don't drop off the rails or in anyway hit the layer of soap underneath them, so I'm good with that. And I can't use the full trays as I can barely hold them when they are empty, let alone if they were full of soap. I'm always looking for a better container to house my soaping gear, but finding the right size is almost impossible. Usually if they fit on the rails they are too big or get too heavy for me to carry. It's too tall for me to use the top two rails but I usually put extra trays up there when they are empty.

Now if I could find the room for a small refrigerator...maybe a small chest freezer...I might as well wish to have a stove and sink in there while I'm wishing! LOL

I was gifted that model of rack for my birthday a couple of years ago. It’s very sturdy and holds a lot of soap. I use paper towels to line the shelves and catch soap crumbs.

View attachment 61441
Good to know someone on the forum actually has one of these. Makes it a little easier to make the purchase when I get around to it. Thanks for the feedback!

Latest posts

Back