Show us your airing cupboard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdm

Reaction score
Does everyone have an airing cupboard which looks like this within their first week of soapmaking?
IMG_0223.jpg

Airing cupboards are not as common in some parts of the world as they may be in the UK.

I cure my soaps on trays lined with mesh, and they are stacked in a room of their own. Well, honestly, it's not a totally dedicated soap room, but my granddaughter's bedroom, but she rarely comes to stay, so it's as close as it gets to a room of their own. No photos, though.

No cupboard but I have a soap room where I cure my soaps. I know you didn`t ask for advice, but thought I`d mention that my local store uses THESE crates for mushrooms (UK link), so maybe you can get a hold of some of these if you need something as your collection of soaps grow? £0.50 a piece it seems, unless you can go to your local supermarket and ask them for empty ones? My local store is very happy that I take them off their hands, because it frees up space for them, and I don`t have to pay anything.

Easily stackable, but mind you, they are a bit flimsy as they are made specifically for mushrooms! So I don`t have more than 1 kg of soap in each crate (about 2 pounds) so they are not that sturdy if you fill it to the brim with soaps. I will get proper sturdy ones when I start to sell (they are a bit expensive here in Norway, so I don`t want to do it until I am selling)

But I have pushed the limit of 3 kg, however that has been ready cured soaps and shrinkwrapped going to my family, so they don`t need the space between like when they are curing. But then I have to lift it holding one hand below the thinnest part of the mesh (when I have filled them with a lot of soaps)

Before use them for fresh soaps, I wash them with hot soapy water, wipe them dry, spray alcohol on them and then lay my soaps flat down on the mesh.

Plastic-Mesh-Crate.jpg

No cupboard but I have a soap room where I cure my soaps. I know you didn`t ask for advice, but thought I`d mention that my local store uses THESE crates for mushrooms (UK link), so maybe you can get a hold of some of these if you need something as your collection of soaps grow? £0.50 a piece it seems, unless you can go to your local supermarket and ask them for empty ones? My local store is very happy that I take them off their hands, because it frees up space for them, and I don`t have to pay anything.

Easily stackable, but mind you, they are a bit flimsy as they are made specifically for mushrooms! So I don`t have more than 1 kg of soap in each crate (about 2 pounds) so they are not that sturdy if you fill it to the brim with soaps. I will get proper sturdy ones when I start to sell (they are a bit expensive here in Norway, so I don`t want to do it until I am selling)

But I have pushed the limit of 3 kg, however that has been ready cured soaps and shrinkwrapped going to my family, so they don`t need the space between like when they are curing. But then I have to lift it holding one hand below the thinnest part of the mesh (when I have filled them with a lot of soaps)

Before use them for fresh soaps, I wash them with hot soapy water, wipe them dry, spray alcohol on them and then lay my soaps flat down on the mesh.

View attachment 61378
I'm using something similar' but mine are real old. they work great.

I know these wobbly champignon crates, but never thought to use them for soap? They're not great for anything of significant weight. But it might be an option to put a piece of cardboard on the bottom, to make it carry/distribute the weight of the soaps.

I totally get what you are saying about cardboard might help for the sturdyness.

However I prefer to use them as is, simply because if I put carton/cardboard on the bottom I then have to keep lifting the crates up regurlarly (every 2-3 days) and turn the soaps as they cure. By resting them on the mesh alone I don`t have to do that, then I can simply check on them only once a week to see how they are (ok, sniffing them, I admit it!!!🤭 )

I have used them for then years (not the same ones obviously, but change them whenever they get too worn out) I have never had an issue as long as I don`t go crazy and cram them full of soaps. 1 kilo (one batch per fragrance for my soapmaking as I have 16 variations) works like a charm! More and they struggle a bit... But, hey, free stuff...😏

And when they are worn out I can just put them in the plastic recycling bin we have all over the place here and go get me some new ones.

Those are quite useful looking. they're about a 2.5 hour drive from here. (Don't worry, we sometimes buy veg in them!) Thanks!

Cool, and you`re welcome!

View attachment 61378
Those are similar to bread trays here in the US. My DH and I went out to dinner Thursday night, and walking back to the car, I saw exactly 3 of the bread trays outside the front door of a restaurant after closing. The bottom tray even had wheels. Unfortunately, DH felt it necessary to remind me that just because they were outside the door after closing didn’t mean they were there for the taking. I’m sure someone was supposed to pick them up? I need exactly 3 trays for my soap. Maybe the restaurant wants to give them to me and I should call?😉

I use bread trays. They work good. But do get heavy. In the process of drawing up a rack to slide them into.
If you watch FB marketplace bread racks sometimes come up in our area but I’m sure you know that. I loooooove mine. Having the casters is a huge plus.
Edited to say just realized you meant those plastic interlocking trays. I wonder if the would fit on a bread rack?

I use the bread trays as well. You can cram so many batches on them. However the weight pretty much makes them too difficult to be used as storage. I would love to one day get a tray rack where you can pull out each layer. **one can dream**

Attachments

• 986F6850-D70D-4500-8E13-8970C7AE5742.jpeg
    986F6850-D70D-4500-8E13-8970C7AE5742.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back