Shipping costs and packaging

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

May

Reaction score
Hi again,

I am setting up an Etsy shop and I have no idea how to ship my items or how to determine the cost. Could anyone give me some suggestions? I would like to sell lip balms, body butters (4 & 2 oz jars), and bath salts.

I would prefer to ship directly from my house (if possible and cost effective). I don't want to overcharge for shipping, but I also don't want to lose money on it.

Also, how should l determine shipping cost if someone buys 2 or more items?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Stephanie

This is something you are going to have to work out. I'm sorry to say you will most likely NOT be able to charge the exact shipping on every order. The way etsy has shipping set up the best you are going to get is very close- say within a dollar. Now on some it will be over, and on some under, and hopefully it will all work out in the wash.

I suggest you take a good look at the USPS shipping chart for your zip code. Then look at what it will cost to ship 6ounces to say Hawaii or Alaska or whatever state is furthest away from you. That will be your max for 6 ounces. Also check priority costs.

If you don't already see it this is a very involved process but one that is necessary to your bottom line.

Also don't forget to add in the cost of your packaging. It can add up.
Good luck

Last edited:
Thank you for the help. I will check into the shipping costs to Hawaii and Alaska- that will give me a good start.
Thanks!

Etsy now has a shipping calculator so that you can look up what Etsy charges for it's shipping labels (less than if you buy direct from USPS and very convenient as the buyer's address is already entered). There is a link to it on the page where you edit a listing. I did find it a bit overwhelming at first but I weighed every product and created a list of charges that I could refer to (including for multiples). BTW First Class is the same for HI and Alaska, but Priority is a bit more.

Last edited:
USPS first class is up to 13 oz
Priority is any weight, but price will go higher with distance and weight....there is also priority in flat rate (um, if it fits, it ships)

Really need to do a little studying and figuring out your total product weights...including packaging.

good luck, you can always learn as you go too. fine tuning.

Latest posts

Back