Shavg recipe fedback please.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpacamper

Reaction score
I'm trying to duplicate a hard puck of a well loved vintage shaving soap with the following ingredients: tallow, stearic acid, water, coconut oil, NaOH, KOH, fragrance, etc.

A later ingredient list clarified the recipe some: Sodium tallowate, potassium stearate, sodium cocoate, glycerin, water, fragrance, etc etc.

Using soapcalc assuming 100% pure KOH, through much trial and error, I ciphered out the following recipe (keeping true to the above ingredient list order and taking into account 90% pure KOH):

36% tallow saponified with NaOH
34% sa saponified with KOH
30% co saponified with NaOH

I'm omitting the glycerin for now thinking enough will be produced during saponification. I will superfat the NaOH batch at 3% n KOH batch at 0%.

What do you think of this recipe?

Thanks!

Last edited:
That looks like Williams? I ask because I've been working on my own version on paper to try. lol (42% tallow/33% stearic/25% coconut/20% glycerin, with an 8% S/F, and 75% KOH/25% NaOH (the KOH being mixed with the stearic and tallow).

If it were me, I'd superfat it a little higher, like maybe 8%, especially if you're going to omit adding glycerin, but that's just based on my hubby's preference, not yours. You might have a different skin-type than him that can tolerate a more cleansing soap than what he can.

You'll never know until you try, though! I say go for it, see how you like it, and then tweak from there! :)

IrishLass :)

Thank you, fine people!

That looks like Williams? I ask because I've been working on my own version on paper to try. lol (42% tallow/33% stearic/25% coconut/20% glycerin, with an 8% S/F, and 75% KOH/25% NaOH (the KOH being mixed with the stearic and tallow).

If it were me, I'd superfat it a little higher, like maybe 8%, especially if you're going to omit adding glycerin, but that's just based on my hubby's preference, not yours. You might have a different skin-type than him that can tolerate a more cleansing soap than what he can.

You'll never know until you try, though! I say go for it, see how you like it, and then tweak from there! :)

IrishLass :)

IrishLass, it is indeed Williams! My 6 trials and errors had at least 65%tallow but only 9% coconut oil in each. The soaps were conditioning and creamy, but somewhat difficult to lather compared to the vintage Williams puck I have.

I'm guessing coconut oil will help latherability quite a bit by increasing bubbles. I might have to add glycerin even though the original Williams ingredient list does not list glycerin separately. I just rendered some tallow, so fun soaping experiments lay ahead!

Back