Shampoo & Conditioner?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vance71975 said:
fiddletree said:
No, ROE is an antioxidant, which is very different from a preservative, although many people get them confused. An antioxidant retards oxidation of oils, which makes them go rancid. A preservative keeps away bacteria, fungi, and mold that can grow in your product. Vitamin E and grapefruit seed extract are also antioxidants, not preservatives. If your pH is under 9, unless you keep the soap in the fridge and use it within a week, I would definitely use a preservative. Seriously nasty, and potentially dangerous, stuff can grow there.

I know preservatives sound bad, but not all of them are. They keep us safe from nasty infections, and let our products last longer so that we can enjoy them more. Some of them, like the ones I listed in my last post, are pretty darn close to being natural, by your definition, if not completely (naticide).

I may just Opt for Adding a few Oils and herbs known to have Anti-bacterial, anti-microbial,and anti-fungal properties. Which would work and still remain natural.

Actually, that won't work, not at all. Not a bit. But it's your own health you are risking, so do what you want.

Kwpgrooming said:
I thought when making soap in general, the end ph is suppose to be neutral.

No, I am sorry but that is not correct. Finished bar soap has a ph somewhere between 9 and 10.5

Perhaps you misunderstood some of the terminology for liquid soap when they talk about neutralizing the lye? It can certainly be very confusing.

There isn't a "natural" way to make shampoo like what you can buy in the store because bottled shampoo is a detergent. Detergents are synthetic. Shampoo was originally created because soap didn't lather in hard water but detergents do.

You can use all natural ingredients to make something like shampoo, perhaps a liquid soap and use natural ingriedients with innate preservative and antioxidant properties, but it might be something that should be kept in the refrigerator or made frequently in small portions. Its the water required to make the stuff liquid that is going to promote the rapid spoilage.

Geogard has the same stuff in it that is in acne creams (salicylic acid), and is very irritating to people with sensitive skin. For me at least. Its such a shame there is no preservative that is natural and not irritating but still broad spectrum.

(truncated...) Personally, I usually use Geogard Ultra as my preservative. It is EcoCert certified, and doesn't have 'scary' chemicals in it. It's as close to a natural preservative (that works) as you can buy, really. There is also Naticide, which is extracted from essential oils, but it is quite pricy and I've heard it fails challenge tests for some.

Latest posts

Back