Shampoo bar. What went wrong? :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ifiyenia

Reaction score
A couple of weeks back, I thought it was time to try a shampoo bar. I know a shampoo bar is a love it or hate it kind of thing, but I'm on the love it part.
In the past I've bought some excellent shampoo bars and I trully hoped I could do something similar.

My recipe for a test batch of 500gr was this

Coconut Oil (30%)
Palm Oil (30%)
Castor Oil (10%)
Olive Oil (10%)
Sunflower (10%)
Shea Butter (10%)

165 gr Water (at 33%)
72.75 gr NaOH (Superfatting 3.5%)

No additives, e.o. Levander.
Lye-Oils temperatures when mixing was close to 110F.

The soap reached a super thick trace super fast, and when I say thick, I mean rock hard!
Within minutes it was almost solid rock!

I managed to scoop it out of the bowl somehow, although it was getting harder and harder with every passing min, and put it in molds, but I m seriously thinking about rebatching this one..

Plus, later on when I checked again the SoapCalc, I realized that this bar would have 20 on Cleansing Value. Wouldn't that be too much for a shampoo bar?

What could went wrong?

Try upping your lye discount (superfat) a bit as when you're working with small batches, as it's easier for an inaccurate scale to cause errors. You want a bit of free oil for your hair too. I have used coconut soap with a 20% lye discount for hair and it was nice (made with goat's milk). :wink:

I don't really know if it will be too cleansing but you will find out soon and then you can play around with the ingredients and come up with something that you like better. It's part of the fun. :wink:

Latest posts

Back