Stephenson Shampoo Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathrynmara08

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just made a shampoo bar using Stephenson Syndapore melt and pour, plus 10 percent Shea butter, and 2 percent coconut oil. It looks nice, but I'm not getting any lather at all. Does anyone have any advice or know what I may have done wrong? Thanks!!

Kathryn

Maybe it’s the base itself? Last batch of soaps I made I used Stephenson brand (one of their Shea butter M&P bases) and I got zero lather. Not sure if it’s the same exact base as yours, but I’m going to avoid that brand from now on.

Ugh I hope not. It's the shampoo base and was pretty expensive, so it really should have a good lather. I'll try again with less Shea butter and hope that works

The ingredients of the base include a lot of harsh surfactants in it. In my opinion, to harsh for hair! So it shouldn't be the base. As Artemis said, it's only rated for 3% additives.

This is a M&P base; it's already saponified.
Ignore this! Mobjack Bay below is right, I'm wrong.

Adding fat (like butters and oils) are counteracting the detergent; you're literally mixing soap with butter. I would suggest saving that shea butter and finding a conditioner bar recipe that uses it.

Last edited:
The ingredients of the base include a lot of harsh surfactants in it. In my opinion, to harsh for hair! So it shouldn't be the base. As Artemis said, it's only rated for 3% additives.

This is a M&P base; it's already saponified. Adding fat (like butters and oils) are counteracting the soap; you're literally mixing soap with butter. I would suggest saving that shea butter and finding a conditioner bar recipe that uses it.
Actually, it’s made from one of the gentlest syndets, not soap.

@kathrynmara08 I have a thread on Syndopour testing, here, which you may find useful. I think you really have to be careful with the additives. My last batch is the best to date and it has only 1% essential oil and a tiny bit of colorant.

If you decide to try the solid conditioner base, that’s a good way to use your nice shea butter and coconut oil additives at a few percent of the base weight.

Maybe it’s the base itself? Last batch of soaps I made I used Stephenson brand (one of their Shea butter M&P bases) and I got zero lather. Not sure if it’s the same exact base as yours, but I’m going to avoid that brand from now on.
I bought some of the syndopour from Stephenson and it takes a lot to get it to lather and then I made my own shampoo bars and oh what a difference along with conditioner bars. I have a chronic illness that has made my hair very dry and frizzy and the homemade shampoo and conditioner bars have made a huge difference so I wouldn’t recommend the syndopour base.

I bought some of the syndopour from Stephenson and it takes a lot to get it to lather and then I made my own shampoo bars and oh what a difference along with conditioner bars. I have a chronic illness that has made my hair very dry and frizzy and the homemade shampoo and conditioner bars have made a huge difference so I wouldn’t recommend the syndopour base.
That’s great you were able to find something that works for your hair! :)

After my 4 wasted lbs of soap, I switched to a different brand that’s much better all around, and I wouldn’t recommend the one I used from Stephenson either.

I made some Syndapour shampoo bars, and it seems to be hubby's favorite (scented with Byredo Sunday). I actually like the Syndapour bars much better than other M+P shampoo bars, and I like it better than the Lush solid shampoo I bought years ago.

The solid condition base, however, was not good on it's own---I've tried adding some coconut and argan oils, and I still don't care for it. But I'm a fan of the Syndapour.

I made some Syndapour shampoo bars, and it seems to be hubby's favorite (scented with Byredo Sunday). I actually like the Syndapour bars much better than other M+P shampoo bars, and I like it better than the Lush solid shampoo I bought years ago.

The solid condition base, however, was not good on it's own---I've tried adding some coconut and argan oils, and I still don't care for it. But I'm a fan of the Syndapour.
My first batch of the condition base with no additives was as hard like a piece of plexiglas acrylic! I added X percentage of some nice fats to the second batch and it’s better. I can’t give specifics without my notes which aren’t handy at the moment. I worried about fat additives leaving a greasy residue on my head, but whatever I added the first time just made the bar a bit softer and easier to use. Based on those good results, I will add more of the mystery fats for the next batch.

Back