Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real work on this was done by Genny when she formulated something and then shared her recipe. Now that is true generousity of spirit.

Its truly a gem, Genny shared a wonderful recipe, I have now been using it for a few months and the bigger the lather I get going the cleaner and better my hair feels. I can go almost a week without washing it again now.

Hallo everyone. My name is Pam and I'm a soapaddled brain fragrance tramp! Thank you for indulging me in your forum! I've been hooked for 5 years plus!

Yes I need help and well also some understanding something about this shampoo soap please. I run everything thru soapcalc before I make it. I was going to make this soap but noticed the cleansing range was 0 as in zero. How can this clean the hair when it has no cleansing range? Thank you so much.

Oh also I don't have any soybean oil and wonder if it would be ok to substitute ako?

Thank you Relle. I have read those guidelines and forgotten them!

Do you think the apricot kernel oil will be ok to substitute for the soybean? I don't have any soybean oil and I want to do the recipe as close to Genny's original as I can without ordering more oil!

If you read the entire thread (again if you already have) a lot of people substituted the Soybean oil with a couple different thinks like Sunflower or Avocado.

Did my second wash with my shampoo bar. My hair's still drying, but it's dry enough to feel that it's slightly oily. I'm hoping this is a combo of my hair adjusting to the shampoo bar from SLS-based shampoo and a slightly different rinse procedure than last time. The first time I used it, I had enough acidic rinse that I was able to rinse out the acid and anything it might have found, and then added a big more acidic rinse to my hair to seal the shaft from my hard, alkaline water. (This second rinse is going to be replaced with a leave-in conditioner, but I'm waiting on preservative and an emulsifier for that, just shipped today.)

I've been using my shampoo bar for several weeks now and am pretty happy with it. I used a whopping 30% coconut oil (didn't find this forum until after I made it) but surprisingly, it works pretty well. I should note that I have oily hair.

However, I would like to have something more moisturizing to alternate with so I made a new batch this weekend, using only 15% coconut oil. I also used the information I learned here to make sodium tricitrate with citric acid and additional lye in the lye water since I have hard water. Looking forward to trying the new batch!

Did my second wash with my shampoo bar. My hair's still drying, but it's dry enough to feel that it's slightly oily. I'm hoping this is a combo of my hair adjusting to the shampoo bar.

Sometimes it can take a couple weeks or longer for your hair to adjust. My mom had a terrible time when she first started using shampoo bars, her hair was oily and sticky feeling but she stuck with it. Now her hair is soft and smooth.

My bars will be 6 weeks cured this week. I am both excited and scared to make the switch from commercial shampoo. I love how my hair feels after tons of conditioner, all those silicones being washed away, I wonder what is beneath all that. Wish me luck.

You have more patience then me, I start using my shampoo bars at 2 weeks. Your hair will feel different, especially when its wet but give it time and you will wonder why you ever like the commercial stuff.
My hair is thicker and has more body without being frizzy. For the first time in 40+ year, I'm actually happy with my hairs texture.

Hallo everyone. My name is Pam and I'm a soapaddled brain fragrance tramp! Thank you for indulging me in your forum! I've been hooked for 5 years plus!

Yes I need help and well also some understanding something about this shampoo soap please. I run everything thru soapcalc before I make it. I was going to make this soap but noticed the cleansing range was 0 as in zero. How can this clean the hair when it has no cleansing range? Thank you so much.

Oh also I don't have any soybean oil and wonder if it would be ok to substitute ako?

As I learned, reading through the posts, soybean oil is what most vegetable oil, you buy at the grocery, is made of.

thanks for the great shampoo bar recipe...I can't wait to try it.....I'm sure this has been asked before but the thread is so long to look thru all the replies....I was wondering if I can hp this in a crockpot?......I am going to make a cp batch but thought I would make a small hp batch to try while I'm waiting for the cp batch to cure

thanks for letting me know that I can hp it......does it take the usual around 2 weeks to cure to get a harder bar.....I know that you can use hp right away but it is better to cure it for a couple weeks for a harder bar

Yeah, I started using my HP shampoo at 2 weeks. It will get harder and last a lot longer if you cure if for longer though. If you have sodium lactate, use some.

I used mine pretty quickly and it was really soft and difficult to lather with. Its been curing about 8 weeks now and its significantly better - thicker better lather, harder bar.

Back