Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did lower the SF to 5%, added a bit of clay and 5% CO. Still love it and everyone I give a test sample to feels the same way.

Unfortunately even this recipe seems to dry out my hair too much. :sad:
Darn! I really thought this was going to be the one. On a positive note, I used this bar on my body and it was great! I might make some more and just up the SF a bit. (I did 3% SF).

I use this bars for the last two months and I have to say that for my hair, which is greasy, it is the best shampoo I ever had.
Doubt if I ever use a commercial shampoo again in my life.

made my version of this bar and washed my hair with it today, it really was squeaky clean hair! very soft. lets see how my hair gets over the next month. So far I love it.

I use this bars for the last two months and I have to say that for my hair, which is greasy, it is the best shampoo I ever had.
Doubt if I ever use a commercial shampoo again in my life.

Did you use the exact same recipe?

I did try this recipe and let a small piece cure for about 3 weeks. It barely had any lather and made my hair feel like straw in the shower, it could be that I have very thick, very dry hair to begin with.

Its surprising how much little variation can affect the outcome. My first shampoo bars are made exactly to the recipe except for the addition of egg yolk, my second batch I had to replace part of the avocado oil with sunflower oil and I can tell a difference. It doesn't lather as good and the bars seem softer.
I'll not deviate from the original recipe again but I do recommend adding egg yolk, it makes a really nice thick lather.

Its surprising how much little variation can affect the outcome. My first shampoo bars are made exactly to the recipe except for the addition of egg yolk, my second batch I had to replace part of the avocado oil with sunflower oil and I can tell a difference. It doesn't lather as good and the bars seem softer.
I'll not deviate from the original recipe again but I do recommend adding egg yolk, it makes a really nice thick lather.
My version was
40% OO
30% avocado oil
10% caster
10% shea butter
10% soybean oil

I infused the OO (by heating) with nettle leaves. I also added 1tbsp per lb of nettle powder. Egg yolk was beaten into the OO (cold) at the beginning. I only heated the shea butter to make it soft and let the lye cool till it was below 100F. Also added FO, .5 % per lb

I have to admit mine is sort of ridiculously complicated, but it's amazing after about a 4-month cure.

One variation:

Oils of Alkanet-infused Olive, Avocado, Apricot kernel, Castor, Babassu.
Shea butter.
Rosemary-infused distilled water, Buttermilk.
Oils of Coconut, Jojoba, Argan, Broccoli seed, Wheat germ.
Essential oils of Rosemary and Peppermint.
Citric acid, Dl-Panthenol, Silk amino acids, Honeyquat.

And the usual suspects of clay, silk, sugar.

I vary the infusions, clays, essential oils and other stuff.

Did you use the exact same recipe?

I used sunflower oil instead of soybeen oil

So, the recipe was the following:

I used OO 40%
Avacado oil 30 %
Castor oil 10%
Shea Butter 10%
Sunflower seed oil 10%
I superfated at 8 %

I've been using the poo-bar for about a month, and I just threw out my half used shampoo and conditioner. Never going back!

I've been using the poo-bar for about a month, and I just threw out my half used shampoo and conditioner. Never going back!

I'm going to give mine away, I hate wasting. Then when they are done using my old stuff ill give them a poo bar!

Ok tested it for about 2 weeks now. The bar is about 3 weeks old (I HP'd the bar). Makes my hair squeaky clean, but my scalp is sooo very dry. I need to use conditioner. Think the poo bar is too cleansing for me. I will try to make one in the future that has a higher SF%

I just wanted to thank the OP for posting this recipe.
I've yet to make a bar of soap (apart from MP) but have been reading, reading, reading and collecting supplies (just hit the WSP sale for LOTS of goodies) and plan to use this recipe for my first ever soap! I'm sooo excited. Anyway, thank you again!

BTW...new to the board, and this is my first post as well. ;)

Added: Almost forgot...I plan to do HP in my crockpot (too impatient to wait on CP) and use Rosemary EO....anyone care to help a newbie out by helping me figure out how much EO to use?? I've yet to find a chart of any sort that defines how much fragrance to use pp
Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you both!
I figured that 3% is right around .48 oz (if I'm calculating correctly, which isn't a given) so 1/2 oz sounds just about right.

I've made a very similar shampoo bar but it does not work for me :(
My hair overall feels clean but there is this one patch at the back of my head that is very sticky feeling, like it is very greasy.
I detoxed my hair already (been having really greasy hair for week since not using commercial shampoo) but after washing my hair with this bar there is this one patch that still feel greasy.....

Does that spot happen to be where you rub the bar on your hair? I've found that if I get too much shampoo in one spot from rubbing the bar on my head too hard, its really hard to rinse out and it can feel oily.

No I do not rub the bar on my head, I just create a lather in my hand and rub that into my scalp and hair. It's just this one spot that gets greasy. My hair feels a lot thicker too and seems to have more curls than when I use my liquid (all natural) shampoo.

Back