Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did another BIG batch of shampoo soap (trying to build stock for my microbusiness). Added 10% coconut oil and took out 5% avocado and 5% castor oil from before. Added 1 tsp/lb sugar and 0.5 tsp/lb bentonite clay. Still kept the same three essential oils, but added more lavender and reduced the peppermint. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm guessing it will be good.

I forgot to grab a new shampoo bar tonight when I showered so I used my 100% lard bar and it is nearly as nice as Genny's original recipe. I'm going to try it for a few days and see how it compares, it would be fantastic to have a harder bar for shampooing with.

I forgot to grab a new shampoo bar tonight when I showered so I used my 100% lard bar and it is nearly as nice as Genny's original recipe. I'm going to try it for a few days and see how it compares, it would be fantastic to have a harder bar for shampooing with.

Good to know. I made a batch of 100% lard bars last week, to see what the rave was all about. They're still curing. Keep us updated on how it worked after using for a while as shampoo.

I just did another BIG batch of shampoo soap (trying to build stock for my microbusiness). Added 10% coconut oil and took out 5% avocado and 5% castor oil from before. Added 1 tsp/lb sugar and 0.5 tsp/lb bentonite clay. Still kept the same three essential oils, but added more lavender and reduced the peppermint. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm guessing it will be good.

Please don't forget to let us know how it turns out. :smile:

loving Lindy/Ginny's shampoo bar

After a longer cure time I've been using the "lindy/ginny bar" and I really like it. I skipped using conditioner after, don't fee I need it at all. I don't think I want to change anything. It is a soft bar so I have to really keep it out of the water or it's mush but I personally don't mind. I'd add lard or a touch of coconut to harden it up but I'm afraid it will make my hair feel yucky.

We should make a sticky of a list of tricks, tips on making shampoo bars. This thread was so helpful.

I owe you one Lindy/Ginny! This is great. I think you might have me off bottle shampoo and conditioner!

Good to know. I made a batch of 100% lard bars last week, to see what the rave was all about. They're still curing. Keep us updated on how it worked after using for a while as shampoo.

Lard ended up not being that great. After a couple washes it made my hair feel pretty icky. The SF was 5%, maybe a bit lower would help but I doubt I'll try.
Next up to test is my castile and then a 100% deer tallow bar. I just colored my hair though so I'll be using shampoo for a week or so.

Genny's recipe is in the crock pot as I write this. Unfortunately, I had to sub out avocado for sweet almond and soybean for sunflower. I was out of both. I had some lavender infused OO so I used that. I included some alkanet root and bentonite clay, and am scenting it with rosemary. I'll report back on how my hair likes the poo-bar.

Wowza!!! Love this recipe! I have shoulder length, fine, wavy, normal hair. Even with the subs I made to it (see previous post), my hair is great! Don't laugh because I know that everyone had done this...I used the little ball of soap that I scraped off the crockpot last night to wash my hair this morning. I thought that it would just fall apart but it didn't. I rolled it around my head, got a head full of lather and went to town. My hair was squeaky clean...I actually heard it. Something that hadn't happen since I was a kid. So I was thinking that it was going to be like straw...but it's not! I didn't even use product in it. My curls are defined, my hair is shiny and soft! Lets see how it holds up in the Florida humidity. Oh, I did add 5% coconut because I sweat so much working in the garden. Thought I could use the extra cleansing.

Genny you need to patent this recipe!

Thank you!!!!

I'm going to make this recipe right now! I have very fine long hair and I haven't been able to find a good recipe for my hair. I'm not fond of the vinegar rinses some use. I don't mind needing to use conditioner after washing. The shampoo bars I have tried either leave my hair too oily or feeling like dry straw.

I've been sitting here waiting for the mail carrier to bring my Neem oil. I think I'll make poo bars while I wait! :)

I've used the poo-bar for the second time and my hair feel better than the first time! I went 3 days without washing & I could have gone a 4th since my hair was not greasy or full of yucky product. Almost no hair in the drain and my scalp had never been cleaner. I gave a bar to my girlfriend who has really fine hair and she loved it as well. Her hair looked really fuller this morning. Amazing stuff! So happy that I found this tread!

A question for those of you with long fine hair. Do you find it difficult to comb your hair out after washing it with the shampoo bars? When I used one my hair felt stripped and the comb would never make it through without a lot of conditioning. I want to get away from commercial shampoo but I haven't found the right formula for my hair yet.

My hair is shoulder length, fine and wavy. I have not conditioned while using the poo-bar and have no problem combing it out. Difference with this recipe it that it is not stripping at all. My hair is soft with lots of shine and bounce.

I have shoulder length, fine curly hair-I don't use a conditioner with my shampoo bar, but I take a wide toothed comb and detangle after washing. I use a lotion bar after I shower on my arms and legs, so there is a little bit of oil left on my hands when I scrunch my curls, so it works well for me :)

A question for those of you with long fine hair. Do you find it difficult to comb your hair out after washing it with the shampoo bars? When I used one my hair felt stripped and the comb would never make it through without a lot of conditioning. I want to get away from commercial shampoo but I haven't found the right formula for my hair yet.

My DW found the same thing, wont use it now. :-?

I made Genny's recipe except that I used Cocoa Butter in the place of the Soybean Oil because I didn't have any Soybean. I only made a 2 pound batch to test this recipe out. My hair is difficult and I didn't want a lot of shampoo bars that I can't use.

This batch was interesting to make. I did it HP. This batch never did turn over on itself or separate in the pot like HP usually does. It got thick and I gave it a stir then let it cook. It gelled completely in about 20 minutes and no zap. I used some Plumeria FO and a little green lab color.

Of course I had to take the little ball of soap that I scraped from my crock pot into the shower as soon as I had my soaping things cleaned up.
I washed my hair. So far I like the way my hair feels. Previous bars have left my hair feeling stripped but oily in the end so we'll see how it looks and feels tomorrow. I am hopeful. :)

I made the "Genny/Lindy" bar as I call it. I have shoulder length hair and with this bar I can comb thru it very easily. It doesn't feel stripped at all, no conditioner, no fly aways and the best ever is no hair falling out all over like I do with even a very expensive shampoo. I even use this all over as a body bar. Oh, and no irritated itchy scalp like I normally do. I've tried other shampoo bars and this one is the best for me so far. I LOVE this recipe BUT......

..after about 5 days, my hair looks oily up towards the scalp. I go back to using a regular (expensive popular) shampoo....back to matted clump, fly aways and itchy breaking out scalp. SO then I go back to the poo bar! .....I have normal hair, maybe a bit oily. On my next batch I'm wondering if I should:

#1: skip the shea butter and up all the other oils OR
#2: keep the recipe the same and add 5% coconut oil OR
#3: vinegar rinse (haven't tried yet)
#4: adjust the sf (at 6% now)
#5: add some clay (I do have a bit of a wave)

Again thanks for sharing this recipe!

I made the "Genny/Lindy" bar as I call it. I have shoulder length hair and with this bar I can comb thru it very easily. It doesn't feel stripped at all, no conditioner, no fly aways and the best ever is no hair falling out all over like I do with even a very expensive shampoo. I even use this all over as a body bar. Oh, and no irritated itchy scalp like I normally do. I've tried other shampoo bars and this one is the best for me so far. I LOVE this recipe BUT......

..after about 5 days, my hair looks oily up towards the scalp. I go back to using a regular (expensive popular) shampoo....back to matted clump, fly aways and itchy breaking out scalp. SO then I go back to the poo bar! .....I have normal hair, maybe a bit oily. On my next batch I'm wondering if I should:

#1: skip the shea butter and up all the other oils OR
#2: keep the recipe the same and add 5% coconut oil OR
#3: vinegar rinse (haven't tried yet)
#4: adjust the sf (at 6% now)
#5: add some clay (I do have a bit of a wave)

Again thanks for sharing this recipe!

IMO you might want to try it with a lower SF before you change your recipe. Leaving behind less oil on the hair might make the difference for you. I have had the same experience with shampoo bars. I made this recipe yesterday with a 3% SF. My hair is super fine BTW.

Back