Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cualidadesjabonGenny_zps587bf1d3.jpg
Hi Genny thank you for sharing your recipe, this are the qualities of your soap, as you can see the Iodine is to high, this is on of the things that can cause DOS, this high is not good for the soap, as you can see the limit is 70, you have 87.

I make the recipe but change some of the ingredients. Shea butter, Castor oil, Tallow, Lard, Palm Kernel (5%). My Iodine was 57. I make a small batch (400gms) to see how it works, to the recipe I added 1 tsp of citric acid to avoid the ACV rinse.

The soap was ok, a lot of bubbles, but the hair was to dry that was impossible to be comb in the shower, I don't wanted to add conditioner as I want to see how it will looks when it gets dry. So I just towel dry and wait. I have curly hair, when dry, the hair was soft and easy to put your fingers in, so I did not have to comb. Is fluffy and soft, now I have to wait to see how long it will stay like that, before wash it again.

Thank you again for sharing your idea and recipe.

Last edited:
My regular soap recipe (not shampoo soap) that I have been making for years has an iodine level of 72. I've never had DOS on any of them or my shampoo bars. There's more to rancidity than just the Iodine levels.

I've had DOS once in the years that I've been making soap. It was on a Castile soap that I accidentally cured on cardboard.

cualidadesjabonGenny_zps587bf1d3.jpg
Hi Genny thank you for sharing your recipe, this are the qualities of your soap, as you can see the Iodine is to high, this is on of the things that can cause DOS, this high is not good for the soap, as you can see the limit is 70, you have 87.

I make the recipe but change some of the ingredients. Shea butter, Castor oil, Tallow, Lard, Palm Kernel (5%). My Iodine was 57. I make a small batch (400gms) to see how it works, to the recipe I added 1 tsp of citric acid to avoid the ACV rinse.

The soap was ok, a lot of bubbles, but the hair was to dry that was impossible to be comb in the shower, I don't wanted to add conditioner as I want to see how it will looks when it gets dry. So I just towel dry and wait. I have curly hair, when dry, the hair was soft and easy to put your fingers in, so I did not have to comb. Is fluffy and soft, now I have to wait to see how long it will stay like that, before wash it again.

Thank you again for sharing your idea and recipe.

Interesting post. I'm sorry her recipe doesn't work for you. It is obvious your hair would prefer something else. You also need to keep in mind those numbers are guidelines because there is a lot more at play. Superfat, properties of the oils used.

I'm hoping you will formulate your own recipe that you will enjoy as much as others are enjoying this one.

Finally made your recipe!

Thanks for posting this simple recipe. How long does it normally take for your bars to cure? Also, for the sugar, was that a tbsp for your whole batch or ppd? Thanks again! Anxious to try this new bar.

So nice of Genny to share her recipe!

For Atihcnoc, you may want to try that ACV or lemon juice rinse after all. A teaspoon of citric acid added to your soap recipe is not going to make an appreciable difference in the pH of your soap. The high pH of CP soap will tend to roughen the hair cuticle unless you follow with something acidic.

CP soap does not work for my hair, unfortunately. I am a wee bit jealous of those for whom it does work!

Genny: 72 doesn't make a big difference but 87 It is possible that can make a difference, I just make an observation. But also believe in our own results. I had been making soap since 3 yrs. ago just for family and friends and never had a bad experience or DOS in my soaps, maybe it is just luck, but I'm very careful of not get it my Iodine in more than 70.
I apologize if my observation bothers you, that was not mi intention.

Lindy: Thank you, I make the recipe following the concept and percentages but change some of the ingredients as I don't have Soybean oil and wanted to try the citric acid as I never heard it can be used in soap. I super-fat 6%.

I made 2 small batches:
The first one I sprinkle the citric acid at trace, that was the first soap I used and didn't work, low lather and the soap let my hair impossible to be comb. When dry it was soft but dry to the touch, not nice.
The second batch, I dissolved the citric acid in the water/lye mixture, wait to cool down a little bit and add the citric acid so it was very well dissolved in the lye water mixture. I had a great experience with this one, ( I used today) It was possible to comb my hair in the shower, the soap make a gooood lather, very heavy and nice. Get very dry when I rinse it, but again when it was natural dry it is very soft and nice. this one I really like it, and I will use it again.

Hope this can help to others that like me never before had been used citric acid. It makes a big difference (for me) the way this is added to the soap mixture.

But to be fair with Genny, I promise to make her original recipe and tell you the results, at least in my hair.

Genny: Soybean oil is the liquid one, or Crisco, don't want to make mistakes.

Judymoody: Thank you for your advice, I will try this with the first batch, maybe it will work.

Last edited:
Soybean oil is commonly labeled vegetable oil in the grocery store...very different than Crisco! Unless you get generic vegetable shortening...in that case it's mostly hydrogenated soybean oil.

Thank you lizflowers42, here in Texas I found soybean oil, but the liquid one not the hydrogenated, I will check again in the supermarket.

I am on my second batch of this shampoo bar. Of 5people, one did not like it, everyone else loves it, including me. I mixed the sugar and citric acid in a little water I held out and mixed it in after mixing lye and oils.

I have yet to try shampoo bars. And I am nervous. But I am considering trying this recipe. I have really fine but thick hair, and if I don't wash daily now it is super oily. I am nervous I am going to have issues with a bar.... but SO want to get away from commercial shampoo! For those that don't like bars, why don't you like them? I guess I should bite the bullet and try this recipe! I like that it doesn't require a vinegar rinse - something I don't want to do! The high conditioning factor doesn't cause more oiliness though? (Sorry if my questions have obvious answers or are silly :) I am ignorant of shampoo bars and have been researching like crazy lately but not finding much positive information!)

Ordered all the missing ingredients last night and now waiting for delivery!
I'm not going to use the soybean oil, but put a 10% jojoba oil instead. Also read about clay absorbing product build up and because my husband uses gels and what not in his hair I thought I'll give it a try. Going to scent it with rosemary eo, tea tree eo and lavender eo. All for the benefits there is said they have.

I have fine hair but a lot of it and have to wash my hair every other day cause it gets oily at the roots. The ends of my hair tend to get dry so I hope this shampoo bar is the right one for my hair! (bit worried about the high conditioning though)

I just washed my hair with a soap bar I made (following this recipe).

I can't believe what I have been missing so long. My hair feels a lot more natural, soft and healthy! Everyone I have given this to feels the same!

Thanks Lindy!

This recipe didnt work for me. I have oily hair...although not as oilier as it sounds like you have. My husband has normal hair and it didnt work for him either. Made it oily. However, im pretty sure there were other people with oily hair that had great success with this recipe!

My hair is super oily. You can begin seeing slick spots in less than 24 hours. I have tried every type of shampoo. ACV rinse helps some but not enough. Anyone with MAJOR oily hair use this recipe?

I have thin hair with oily roots. At first my hair felt all tangled and weird. Once I used an acv rinse it wasnt tangled anymore and it made it super soft. However, it not only felt oily, but it looked oily. Not in a weird, measured-something-wrong way. Just more so than other shampoos. It was lank too. I used it for 2 weeks and it just got worse and worse until i finally stopped testing it. My husband used it twice (normal, thick-ish hair) and it made his oily too. I dont say this to put down the recipe AT ALL, just to tell you our experience. I was pretty bummed, but i expected it, as very few formulas work for me. It seems like there are others with similar types of hair as i have who had great success with it though.

I have yet to try shampoo bars. And I am nervous. But I am considering trying this recipe. I have really fine but thick hair, and if I don't wash daily now it is super oily. I am nervous I am going to have issues with a bar.... but SO want to get away from commercial shampoo! For those that don't like bars, why don't you like them? I guess I should bite the bullet and try this recipe! I like that it doesn't require a vinegar rinse - something I don't want to do! The high conditioning factor doesn't cause more oiliness though? (Sorry if my questions have obvious answers or are silly :) I am ignorant of shampoo bars and have been researching like crazy lately but not finding much positive information!)

I just made a batch using strong coffee as the liquid with the thinking that it might help a little to cover the gray......we'll see......I'm really not too overly optimistic. And I forgot to put the sugar in. Drat! So we'll see how much difference that makes in the suds department while we're at it. I did like the original recipe.

Each persons hair is different when it comes to shampoo. I have tried several shampoo bars which made my hair greasy and lank while others swore by them. This one works for my hair, not sure why.

Oh boy... I did something wrong. Followed the recipe including the sugar and citric acid (added to oil prior). Soaped at room temp, CPOP. I still have a goopy mess after 24 hours. Going to try again omitting the sugar and citric acid. Or maybe I should insert the additives at the end?

Oh boy... I did something wrong. Followed the recipe including the sugar and citric acid (added to oil prior). Soaped at room temp, CPOP. I still have a goopy mess after 24 hours. Going to try again omitting the sugar and citric acid. Or maybe I should insert the additives at the end?

Could it be the citric acid? I don't recall that being in the recipe. I'm thinking it could lower the pH too much and mess things up. I've never heard of using it in CP soap before, but then I'm still learning.....or RE-learning since I'm on information overload and can't remember half of what I've already learned.

Shampoo bars were one of the original reasons I started soaping. I recently tweaked my original recipe, thanks to many of the comments found here. I decided to try it without ACV and have been using it for a week now. I have fine hair, but I have a lot of it. It's straight, tends to lay flat and starts to look oily and limp on the second day. With my new shampoo bar, it feels clean but not stripped (no strawlike feel and no difficulty brushing afterward), it feels soft when it's dry, and most of all I have more volume, which makes me super happy. I am presently waiting on a second, conditioning formulation to cure for my husband. He tends to have dry skin and hair. Will update with results.

Edited to add: I just wanted to jump in on the conversation because I love shampoo bars so much.

Hmm, interesting. I added my citric acid to my lye mixture with my beer and banana slushie concoction in place of water (which is like adding sugar...) and have no problems. Then again, I just CP'ed it.

Latest posts

Back