September Challenge- Ribbon Pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. AMD - I miss doing challenges
2. penelopejane - I'll give it a whirl.
3. Rusti - I should have time this month
4. dibbles - I've been wanting to try this
5. TeresaT - I'll make time for it this month (if it's not hot & humid again ).
6. IrishLass - I'll give it a swirl.
7. BattleGnome - many ideas, so little time
8. Mx6inpenn - yay! I finally can do a challenge!
9. Misschief - let's try this again
10. TheDragonGirl- I dont think I understand how to take the pictures though

Dragon girl, we just need one picture of your soap in the pouring container, before you pour, so we can see how it looks before you pour it. It should show the surface/top of the soap. You can use the same angle I used when I was showing you how to load the container. We need another picture of your finished soap, same as you would take a picture of any swirled bar made in a slab. Let me know know if I haven't explained that well enough though.

Dragon girl, we just need one picture of your soap in the pouring container, before you pour, so we can see how it looks before you pour it. It should show the surface/top of the soap. You can use the same angle I used when I was showing you how to load the container. We need another picture of your finished soap, same as you would take a picture of any swirled bar made in a slab. Let me know know if I haven't explained that well enough though.

like, the way we have it striped in the pouring container? and it has to be slab not loaf right?

11. BrewerGeorge - I'll give it a shot

Way to go, BG!

Yep, picture of what your striping looks like in the pouring container.

The soap has to be poured such that you get a picture of it from the top. I use loaf molds all the time as slabs (I pour about 1 1/4 inches of soap into the bottom) so you can use a loaf mold but you can't cut like it's from a loaf mold. This is not a loaf type of pour, so no cutting on the vertical.

If you only make loafs, you can make a soap using 2/3-3/4 of your normal batter, then pour a ribbon pour on the top, take a picture of the surface of the top and use that as your picture. I need a picture of the surface of the soap, like a bar you swirled or did ebru on.

12. KCHaystack - All my supplies are still packed. Maybe this will give me motivation to tackle that chore.

I use loaf molds all the time as slabs (I pour about 1 1/4 inches of soap into the bottom) so you can use a loaf mold but you can't cut like it's from a loaf mold. This is not a loaf type of pour, so no cutting on the vertical.

Bingo and Ditto ^^^. In spite of having been soaping for awhile, it's actually only been recently that I found out about this wonderful gem of info, and I've often kicked myself for having not caught on much sooner! lol I can make four perfect 2.5" x 3.5" x 1.25" (or thicker if I desire) slab-type bars from my 2 lb. log mold by just making a 1 lb batch and cutting the resulting shallow rectangular slab horizontally at 2.5" intervals. I can't tell you how excited I was to learn this (I confess that I'm easily excited when it comes to learning new soapy things). lol

IrishLass :)

12. KCHaystack - All my supplies are still packed. Maybe this will give me motivation to tackle that chore.
13. earlene - I will be home in a few days to give this a try; my first attempt a couple months ago was just practice.

I'm think we've had a couple of cross posts and have lost guspuppy and carlyjones from the sign up list. I've tried slotting them in where they signed up but my phone is not playing. Could someone on a computer add them back in please?

Good eye, Sonya! Here is the full, actual list with everyone accounted for (so far):

7. Guspuppy - School is in, vacations are over, work is slow. Time to soap!
8. BattleGnome - many ideas, so little time
9. carlyjones - see if I can't make some time for this one!! IrisLass you beat me to that one...
10. Mx6inpenn - yay! I finally can do a challenge!
11. Misschief - let's try this again
12. TheDragonGirl - I dont think I understand how to take the pictures though
13. Brewer George - I'll give it a shot
14. kchaystack - All my supplies are still packed. Maybe this will give me motivation to tackle that chore.
15. earlene - I will be home in a few days to give this a try; my first attempt a couple months ago was just practice.

9. carlyjones - see if I can't make some time for this one!! IrisLass you beat me to that one...
14. kchaystack - All my supplies are still packed. Maybe this will give me motivation to tackle that chore.
15. earlene - I will be home in a few days to give this a try; my first attempt a couple months ago was just practice.
16. Judiraz- Love this look. Can't wait to try. Three day weekend!!!

17. doriettefarm - So many possibilities with this technique . . . off to pick a striking color combo and well-behaved FO!

newbie - Do you have any advice on how to achieve the look in your pic #4? I like the wide, loopy ribbons so I assume you poured from a pitcher with a wider spout but could be completely wrong.

Bingo and Ditto ^^^. In spite of having been soaping for awhile, it's actually only been recently that I found out about this wonderful gem of info, and I've often kicked myself for having not caught on much sooner! lol I can make four perfect 2.5" x 3.5" x 1.25" (or thicker if I desire) slab-type bars from my 2 lb. log mold by just making a 1 lb batch and cutting the resulting shallow rectangular slab horizontally at 2.5" intervals. I can't tell you how excited I was to learn this (I confess that I'm easily excited when it comes to learning new soapy things). lol

I knew this but avoided it because of the maths involved. I will dedicate some time to the task since I can't avoid it now.

Doriette, believe it or not, that soap and the one directly underneath it (Not the one off to the right) were made with the exact same colors in the exact same proportions but they look utterly different. The soap in the video that has the white blobby chunks in it is the third of those soaps, made with the exact same colors in the exact same proportions but the white thickened like crazy.

Anyhow, if my memory serves, that one was poured with the white bowl that has the distinct but wider lip. It looks to me like I poured more of each color at a time so the bands of color were wider as well. That soap was made with a Moroccan Fig blend and I had to hand stir it because it's a mover. The trace was medium but not quite a heavy as the one beneath it; that one had the soap coming out of the spout (the skinny spout) holding it's shape. It was thicker in trace than the blue/yellow/white/black one I showed which poured out but was heavy cream-like but not so thick it was coming out completely formed. I let the soap come out and ribbon itself so I was not moving the bowl fast back and forth but just letting the soap form itself as I moved slowly. Think cake batter. It's hard to describe some of these things!

PJ, if you want any help calculating a batch size, I'm happy to help. I would need to know the dimensions of your mold and how thick you want the bars, or you can use the formula of:

L x W x D x 0.4= the amount of oils (oils, not oils plus lye water) needed for the batch.

Doriette, like this but you'd move the bowl more to let that pattern form over the whole of the mold, instead of letting it pile up in one spot.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwBSaFdMTPU[/ame]

Last edited:
17. doriettefarm - So many possibilities with this technique . . . off to pick a striking color combo and well-behaved FO!
18. SunWolf - Hmmm...hopefully I have some well behaved FO to use.

PJ, if you want any help calculating a batch size, I'm happy to help. I would need to know the dimensions of your mold and how thick you want the bars, or you can use the formula of:

L x W x D x 0.4= the amount of oils (oils, not oils plus lye water) needed for the batch.

Hi newbie,
Thanks for all that great info. I can see it will be really helpful to include the spout in the photo of the soap in the jug when we submit entries to help others.

Thanks for the offer of help with batch size but I am going to make 1/2 of my normal recipe size and pour 1 and 1/4 inches into my mold then pour the rest into single molds. This will avoid lots of odd batch sizes for me.

First attempt is in the mold. I'll probably do another because some of the colors are very similar.

I wasn't as happy with the soaps I made that had colors that were close. Imagination would give me soaps with beautiful subtleties but the reality would disappoint. The ones I liked best had 3-4 very different colors with high contrast.

Stupid life getting in the way of my soaping. :S Doesnt look like im going to get a chance at this months challenge either. Its been something like 6 months since I got to make soap. If its not work its something else. This month its packing and getting ready to move. But yay new house with my very own garage/soap/whatever the hell i want and no DH allowed in room :D

Latest posts

Back